Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Reels

1. Default Re: Reels

Quote Originally Posted by axle27 View Post
    Would you rate it better than a Lamson Radius? or a Pflueger Trion?
    It's hard for me to say, because the Orvis is the only one that I've used. The Lamson is going to be a bit pricier. The Pflueger is about 30 bucks less, but if you buy a Battenkill before April 30, you get a free spool, which really makes it a better deal. If I had to choose right now, I would go with the Battenkill again because I know it's a good quality reel with a great drag system, and it comes with a free spool. Kind of hard to beat that if you ask me.

2. Default Re: Reels

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Whiton View Post
    Hi FISHN50,

I am a big believer in buying very good reels with good drags and multiple spools.

Frank
    That is very good advice, but there are exceptions. For instance, I was able to pick up Ross worldwide reels (the ones that were $105 and are now $107) for $27 OUT THE DOOR from sierra trading post, and I bought 3 of them. Even if I flirted with a guide to get super duper special guide/fly shop pricing, a spool would cost the same amount (actually more with shipping), and if you can get a reel for slightly more than a spool get the reel, then you dont have to worry about forgetting the frame

Generally I advise people to STAY THE FUDGE AWAY from Ross WOrldwide (not Ross, they are great), $107 for a die cast reel and only a 1 year warranty is a major rippoff. I know of a company that is about to come out with a large arbor barstock reel (chinese made) for about $120. That is going to crush the competition. I have seen it and it has perfect CNC'ing

Default Re: Reels

I bought a Ross Flystart. Had Cortland Micron backing and Cortland 444 Clear Creek WF5F put on it. Out the door for about $100.

I spent way too much time mulling over this. Ross wasn't even on my radarscreen until the last day or two. I think I made a good decision.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12