Reels

FISHN50

Reaction score
A recent poll asked how many rods everyone has & I was wondering how many reels you all have & are they matched to a rod or how many reels / rod do you have. I was just going thru my stuff & realized I have 18 flyrods of different wts. & 8 flyreels in working order. thats about 2 to 1.... Is that an average ratio?

tmart24

Reaction score
I am fairly new to the sport, but I fish in several different places in different scenarios. I have 4 rods: two 4 wt's, a 6 wt, and a 9 wt. As for reels, I have 5 loaded with 4wt floating, 4 wt sinking, 5 wt, 6 wt, and 9 wt. The 5 wt is so I can overload my 4wt if need be. The next think I want is a 7 foot 2wt.

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi FISHN50,

I am a big believer in buying very good reels with good drags and multiple spools. For fresh water and occasional saltwater fishing a reel that handles 4-5-6 weight lines and a second reel that handles 7-8-9 weight lines will do a pretty good job for Trout, warm water, Steelhead, Salmon, Stripers and flats saltwater. If you are someone who has to have a 3wt and below rods then a light weight reel for these rods would be needed. You can stretch the use of the 4-5-6/7-8-9 reels by using Gel Spun backing. With these two reel sizes you can fish a wide range of rods and lines using additional spools.

This doesn't work with a guide as he needs a reel on every rod. A die-hard Salt water fisher will want to have more than one rod set up and ready to go. For the rest of us these two reel sizes will work quite well for a large range of fishing.

Frank

Joe D

Reaction score
I agree with Frank, extra spools add to the versatility of a reel. I have too many reels when I consider that I only use the same 5 or 6, and could easily get by with 3 or 4 of them, which would still cover a broad spectrum of fish and conditions.

For someone who's just compiling their arsenal, or anyone who wants to add another reel to their collection, Orvis is including a free extra spool with their Battenkill Mid Arbor and Battenkill Bar Stock Reels for the month of April.

tie one on

Reaction score
I have 5 fly rods : 3, 4, 5, 7 & 9 weights.

Each rod has it's own specific reel, except my 10' 7wt steelhead
rod that has an extra spool which is loaded with a sink tip flyline.
I always have bought good rods & reels with good warranties.

Tie One On

axle27

Reaction score
I agree with Frank, extra spools add to the versatility of a reel. I have too many reels when I consider that I only use the same 5 or 6, and could easily get by with 3 or 4 of them, which would still cover a broad spectrum of fish and conditions.

For someone who's just compiling their arsenal, or anyone who wants to add another reel to their collection, Orvis is including a free extra spool with their Battenkill Mid Arbor and Battenkill Bar Stock Reels for the month of April.
Damn, that really screws up my logic on purchasing my first reel. I was going with the Hobbs Creek. I don't even know enough to know what I don't know, but I want a reel that I can keep and use for years. I don't mind spending the extra money. I really like the look of those reels......decisions, decisions.

trout champ

Reaction score
I have three rods (4, 5, and 6/7) and they each have their own reels. But I usually only use my 4 and 5. I've never really thought about adding any extra spools though. I suppose I should take a look and see what I can do.

Randy

tmart24

Reaction score
Damn, that really screws up my logic on purchasing my first reel. I was going with the Hobbs Creek. I don't even know enough to know what I don't know, but I want a reel that I can keep and use for years. I don't mind spending the extra money. I really like the look of those reels......decisions, decisions.
I have a Battenkill mid arbor. It's a great reel. You won't regret spending the extra bucks over a Hobbs Creek.

axle27

Reaction score
Would you rate it better than a Lamson Radius? or a Pflueger Trion?

tmart24

Reaction score
Would you rate it better than a Lamson Radius? or a Pflueger Trion?
It's hard for me to say, because the Orvis is the only one that I've used. The Lamson is going to be a bit pricier. The Pflueger is about 30 bucks less, but if you buy a Battenkill before April 30, you get a free spool, which really makes it a better deal. If I had to choose right now, I would go with the Battenkill again because I know it's a good quality reel with a great drag system, and it comes with a free spool. Kind of hard to beat that if you ask me.

dgd

Reaction score
Hi FISHN50,

I am a big believer in buying very good reels with good drags and multiple spools.

Frank
That is very good advice, but there are exceptions. For instance, I was able to pick up Ross worldwide reels (the ones that were $105 and are now $107) for $27 OUT THE DOOR from sierra trading post, and I bought 3 of them. Even if I flirted with a guide to get super duper special guide/fly shop pricing, a spool would cost the same amount (actually more with shipping), and if you can get a reel for slightly more than a spool get the reel, then you dont have to worry about forgetting the frame :(

Generally I advise people to STAY THE FUDGE AWAY from Ross WOrldwide (not Ross, they are great), $107 for a die cast reel and only a 1 year warranty is a major rippoff. I know of a company that is about to come out with a large arbor barstock reel (chinese made) for about $120. That is going to crush the competition. I have seen it and it has perfect CNC'ing

axle27

Reaction score
I bought a Ross Flystart. Had Cortland Micron backing and Cortland 444 Clear Creek WF5F put on it. Out the door for about $100.

I spent way too much time mulling over this. Ross wasn't even on my radarscreen until the last day or two. I think I made a good decision.