Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  31
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Gear Trade-In Programs?

Quote Originally Posted by comeonavs View Post
    I am the opposite, no idea why but if I read enough mostly here I can tell if the rod will have an action I like. Of my entire quiver the only two I really test cast was my 4 weight Z-axis , but I didnt compare it to other 4 weights.

Then when I bought my 6wt I really kicked the tires and cast the ONE,Radian,Salt,Nexus,Method....ended up with the 691-4 ONE

For what its worth on the selling used gear, just my $.02 you also face the "its winter" factor and around here (Denver) not much is happening. You might get 10% more if you sold it second hand in the spring.

I am notorious for hoarding cash and trolling craigslist during the winter for deals.
    You and I have a significantly different level of experience. Most of my rod buying mistakes were committed the first year. I fish for so many species I really did need three rods, reels and lines pretty quick, and the budget ruled my decisions.

One thing I have learned. I do like a lot of fast rods. I like some inexpensive rods. I do not like fast AND inexpensive rods. They were clunkers every time. I bought some real broomsticks, and almost bought a few more.

Only rod I ever sold and soon regretted was my Imperial 6WT.

And I just sold an absolutely mint Galvan Brookie reel last night with good pictures. 35% loss after fees so I find the stated numbers accurate.

Well a 35% loss is a good deal. Most any contemporary new fishing item you purchase is a 40% loss upon receipt. In fact when I am buying used (even if like new) I calculate 40% discount and it had better be very close to it.

Of course some items in very high demand can bring more.

Hi all,
    I've got a closet full of gear that never gets used and I'm considering shipping it off to a trade-in program. I saw Fishwest mentioned but does anyone have any experience of some of the other programs run by Leland, Stillwater, Farmington River etc. and would you recommend one over other? Thanks,

gillymor

4. Default Re: Gear Trade-In Programs?

I've had good luck with Vail Valley Anglers.

I have used both Trident and Stillwater and would recommend both.

Blog Entries

I have used Feather Craft, my home shop, and was very satisfied. If you have the time I would make up a list with photos and send it to several and see what the highest bid is.

Bill

I used to own a bicycle shop and for a while I took in trade-ins. I stopped when I realized why people were never really satisfied with the deal - or at least I think l understand.
    As a shop owner I was familiar with the wholesale prices on the bicycles that were being offered for trade. As everyone knows depreciation occurs the moment you walk out the door - at least 20% because it is no longer "new". Now that 20 per cent depreciation would be the new highest selling price you could expect. If a merchant wants to make a profit he/she has to offer at least 20% under the selling price (and usually a lot more) to make any profit.
    We felt we were fair and open with our offers and re-sale pricing, but it just wasn't working. So in looking at it I decided that the biggest reason the trade-in program was frustrating was because my customers were not just trading their bicycles.
    You see, bicycles, just like fly rods, accumulate their own history, and the owner is central in that history. Most of the memories with your fly rod are happy because the rod was central to a pleasant and memorable moment in your life. Fly rods, like bicycles,
    become "friends".
    It is hard to put a price on friendship and make people happy.
    Last edited by brook rookie; 03-07-2019 at 06:57 AM. Reason: removed redundant word

8. Likes ggriffi, trout trekker, wthorpe liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by brook rookie View Post
    I used to own a bicycle shop and for a while I took in trade-ins. I stopped when I realized why people were never really satisfied with the deal - or at least I think l understand.
    As a shop owner I was familiar with the wholesale prices on the bicycles that were being offered for trade. As everyone knows depreciation occurs the moment you walk out the door - at least 20% because it is no longer "new". Now that 20 per cent depreciation would be the new highest selling price you could expect. If a merchant wants to make a profit he/she has to offer at least 20% under the selling price (and usually a lot more) to make any profit.
    We felt we were fair and open with our offers and re-sale pricing, but it just wasn't working. So in looking at it I decided that the biggest reason the trade-in program was frustrating was because my customers were not just trading their bicycles.
    You see, bicycles, just like fly rods, accumulate their own history, and the owner is central in that history. Most of the memories with your fly rod are happy because the rod was central to a pleasant and memorable moment in your life. Fly rods, like bicycles,
    become "friends".
    It is hard to put a price on friendship and make people happy.
    Hope I’m not derailing the thread, but it always amazes me how many people don’t understand the instant depreciation on retail goods. Be it cycling, fishing, or any other hobby/sporting good. I find the posters on the classifieds on this forum better than most, perhaps because those who actually participate enough to post in them know enough about the industry to be realistic. (Not to say they’re ALL realistic). But certain FB B/S/T groups, Craigslist etc can be a source of amusement sometimes. “I bought this rod for $299, only used it 4-5 times and looks great except for a couple scratches and a chunk of the grip missing...yours for $270 cash”. Gear Trade-In Programs?
    Life is like a box of chocolates...and a river runs through it. Or something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by tx_newb View Post
    Hope I’m not derailing the thread, but it always amazes me how many people don’t understand the instant depreciation on retail goods. Be it cycling, fishing, or any other hobby/sporting good. I find the posters on the classifieds on this forum better than most, perhaps because those who actually participate enough to post in them know enough about the industry to be realistic. (Not to say they’re ALL realistic). But certain FB B/S/T groups, Craigslist etc can be a source of amusement sometimes. “I bought this rod for $299, only used it 4-5 times and looks great except for a couple scratches and a chunk of the grip missing...yours for $270 cash”. Gear Trade-In Programs?
    It's impossible to derail my old thread because it was sleeping anyway. I too am utterly amazed that people think they are giving you a deal at 10% off new retail, and they should be prepared to lose a lot if they didn't keep the product in like new condition. That said, I still use Craiglist occasionally and find great deals. When Boomerang moved out again last summer (that's my 22 year old daughter's nickname) , I found some some nice furniture to replace what she took from the guest bedroom. Hard to move items can be picked up for a song when people need to move, settle an estate etc. I never respond to delusion people's ads. If I have to offer you half your asking price to just get it near reality, I'm just not going to deal with it.

It is easy to tell when the depreciation starts on anything. It begins exactly the moment the smiling clerk hands you the receipt.

12. Likes eastfly66 liked this post
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast