Gear Trade-In Programs?

ia_trouter

Reaction score
Has anyone participated in Gear Trade-in programs? If so, any words of wisdom would be appreciated. I have a near new 5WT ST Croix Legend Ultra. I should have bought a 6WT as I already had a 5WT. I'll take another beating if I sell the rod. I think I am done with new rod purchases for the near future..

rsagebrush

Reaction score
Considering all the handling and relisting and unknown end price by the person(s) taking it, you will get a pretty low offer. Not that that is a unfair thing but that's reality.

If you want something they have and do not want to have to hassle with moving your gear for a few extra dollars, perhaps not even that, it is an attractive option.

I don't do it but I buy and sell a lot of items and have some establishment. Sometimes it seems more of an effort than it's worth though.

ia_trouter

Reaction score
From what I've seen, it is like selling a car. Sell it outright or get hosed on a trade.
I figured as much. Selling it outright has never worked either unless I was willing to sell mint gear for 50% off. It's just reality. Sounds like I'd be out the same amount of money if I just buy a 6WT Echo Base and be done with it.

jayr

Reaction score
I figured as much. Selling it outright has never worked either unless I was willing to sell mint gear for 50% off. It's just reality. Sounds like I'd be out the same amount of money if I just buy a 6WT Echo Base and be done with it.

It's pretty much about time and money.

If you want your money quick, you'll usually get less for it than selling/auctioning it yourself and being patient. Posting for sale ads on more,than one site can help maximize dollars, but you also have to hassle with people's emails, counter offfers, etc. Not to mention someone may back out on you.

I used to sell a lot on eBay years ago. I got rid of gear I didn't need or use, but by the time I figured in all the fees, stupid questions, people who couldn't abide by the terms, etc, I quit doing it.

ia_trouter

Reaction score
It's pretty much about time and money.

If you want your money quick, you'll usually get less for it than selling /auctioning it yourself and being patient. Posting for sale ads on more,than one site can help maximize dollars, but you also have to hassle with people's emails, counter offfers, etc. Not to mention someone may back out on you.

I used to sell a lot on eBay years ago. I got rid of gear I didn't need or use, but by the time I figured in all the fees, stupid questions, people who couldn't abide by the terms, etc, I quit doing it.
I used to sell a ton on ebay when fees and shipping were much lower. I actually just cleaned out excess from my hobbies and posted up about 20 items which started closing last night. They did very well. And now the fun of shipping stuff. Thankfully I got over $1000 for stuff that is collecting dust so I need to smile through it.

Craiglist drove me completely nuts this summer. No fees is great. Exchanging 6 emails with folks so they can offer you 30% of true value in the end got VERY old. It made the insulation of ebay very attractive. Post 20 items, stuff is gone in a week, and ebay gets rich of course. I have learned the secret of auctions. Sell stuff nobody actually needs. :)

jayr

Reaction score
Craigslist has turned into scammers paradise for the most part, especially for large ticket items. I have however, found some deals on fly fishing gear there, but of course as a buyer and not a seller.

kentuckysteve

Reaction score
I stopped selling on ebay when they started making you use paypal.Before that the buyer's would send me a US Postal money order and you could actually make a decent sale.With the fee's now,if you are selling small items it's just not worth the trouble.I have had good luck with craigslist here.I price the item high because i know they are going to talk the price down.If they don't buy it...i'm not out anything.I ALWAY'S meet in my local police dept parking lot which is right next door to a bank.The teller's in the bank will gladly check the bill's for me before the sale.

---------- Post added at 10:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:23 AM ----------

Has anyone participated in Gear Trade-in programs? If so, any words of wisdom would be appreciated. I have a near new 5WT ST Croix Legend Ultra. I should have bought a 6WT as I already had a 5WT. I'll take another beating if I sell the rod. I think I am done with new rod purchases for the near future..
I have the 7wt LU and i would not think of selling it.It is a great rod for the big bass bugs.Fast rod with a lot of backbone.

ia_trouter

Reaction score
I stopped selling on ebay when they started making you use paypal.Before that the buyer's would send me a US Postal money order and you could actually make a decent sale.With the fee's now,if you are selling small items it's just not worth the trouble.I have had good luck with craigslist here.I price the item high because i know they are going to talk the price down.If they don't buy it...i'm not out anything.I ALWAY'S meet in my local police dept parking lot which is right next door to a bank.The teller's in the bank will gladly check the bill's for me before the sale.

---------- Post added at 10:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:23 AM ----------

I have the 7wt LU and i would not think of selling it.It is a great rod for the big bass bugs.Fast rod with a lot of backbone.
I like this LU 5WT a lot. But I already had a 5WT St Croix and it was my first rod so I am attached to it. I don't know WTH I was thinking when I ordered a 5WT LU. Other than a bit heavy in the butt the LU is a sweet fly rod. I have owned a bunch of Imperials and like them but the LU is notably better IMO. I see it's not available yet again. If I end up "stuck" with it oh well.

I had some good days on Craiglist. I've just had a run of bad luck with folks that want to play auction via email and start the bidding at 10 bucks on a $100 item. While asking for even more pictures. :) I sold a boat and some other gear on there in a day this spring for asking price. I got spoiled.

ebay is a cr@pshoot if you aren't careful. But I just sold a bunch of unneeded fly lines yesterday for $20-30 that nobody on this forum wants at all for $10. Win some I lose some. Timing is everything. Spey lines during steelhead season, boating gear in the spring etc.

mridenour

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I like this LU 5WT a lot. But I already had a 5WT St Croix and it was my first rod so I am attached to it. I don't know WTH I was thinking when I ordered a 5WT LU. Other than a bit heavy in the butt the LU is a sweet fly rod. I have owned a bunch of Imperials and like them but the LU is notably better IMO. I see it's not available yet again. If I end up "stuck" with it oh well.

I had some good days on Craiglist. I've just had a run of bad luck with folks that want to play auction via email and start the bidding at 10 bucks on a $100 item. While asking for even more pictures. :) I sold a boat and some other gear on there in a day this spring for asking price. I got spoiled.

ebay is a cr@pshoot if you aren't careful. But I just sold a bunch of unneeded fly lines yesterday for $20-30 that nobody on this forum wants at all for $10. Win some I lose some. Timing is everything. Spey lines during steelhead season, boating gear in the spring etc.
If I had a decent 6, I'd trade you. My 6 is a junker Cabela's rod that I use around the subdivision lake. I could use another 5 but I'm not buying anything right now. Spent all my money on fishing over the last month.

ia_trouter

Reaction score
If I had a decent 6, I'd trade you. My 6 is a junker Cabela's rod that I use around the subdivision lake. I could use another 5 but I'm not buying anything right now. Spent all my money on fishing over the last month.
Thanks Mike. This is hardly an emergency. The water will be hard here in 6 weeks anyway. :( I was just curious if the trade in programs were good for anyone but the administrator.

mridenour

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Thanks Mike. This is hardly an emergency. The water will be hard here in 6 weeks anyway. :( I was just curious if the trade in programs were good for anyone but the administrator.
There will be plenty of great winter fishing down here! Plan a trip and I'll show you around.

J

james w 3 3

I sell occasionally on eBay. The thing is learning the tricks to maximize the bidding.
Sharp photos, and several of them.
Close the auction mid-evening eastern time on a night when it's not up against a major sporting event.
A comprehensive, well written description is golden!!
Yes, you've got some fees, but you're also getting a nationwide audience.

Trade in programs generally give you far, far less than you'd get with eBay, if you do it right. Lots of advice out there . . . use it.

repperson29

Reaction score
I've been thinking of doing this fishwest trade in program...there you can either choose for them to put it on ebay for you and you receive all the money in store credit without the fees. Or they'll give you a flat price for said item, I've been quoted on new unused items at about a 35% loss.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

roadkill1948

Reaction score
I've struggled with that decision in the past. Now, I "fire sale" price them or donate them. Un-fished equipment is sort of like unread books. I don't do a balance sheet or profit/loss statement on fishing equipment - it's all loss. LOL

ia_trouter

Reaction score
I've struggled with that decision in the past. Now, I "fire sale" price them or donate them. Un-fished equipment is sort of like unread books. I don't do a balance sheet or profit/loss statement on fishing equipment - it's all loss. LOL
Yes it is. I'm the poster boy for casting before you buy. Unfortunately that isn't an option for me usually. I won't be fire saling any more gear as I can't replace it now. I'm glad I finally have my rod arsenal about where I want it.

---------- Post added at 08:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:04 AM ----------

I've been thinking of doing this fishwest trade in program...there you can either choose for them to put it on ebay for you and you receive all the money in store credit without the fees. Or they'll give you a flat price for said item, I've been quoted on new unused items at about a 35% loss.

That's fair. It's not like they don't have to discount it from MSRP to resell it. They aren't running a charity. That's about what I lose on a resale if gear is mint and I'm patient.

comeonavs

Reaction score
Yes it is. I'm the poster boy for casting before you buy. Unfortunately that isn't an option for me usually. I won't be fire saling any more gear as I can't replace it now. I'm glad I finally have my rod arsenal about where I want it.
I am the opposite, no idea why but if I read enough mostly here I can tell if the rod will have an action I like. Of my entire quiver the only two I really test cast was my 4 weight Z-axis , but I didnt compare it to other 4 weights.

Then when I bought my 6wt I really kicked the tires and cast the ONE,Radian,Salt,Nexus,Method....ended up with the 691-4 ONE

For what its worth on the selling used gear, just my $.02 you also face the "its winter" factor and around here (Denver) not much is happening. You might get 10% more if you sold it second hand in the spring.

I am notorious for hoarding cash and trolling craigslist during the winter for deals.

moucheur2003

Reaction score

Some other fly shops also offer the same service: bring us your used gear, we'll take care of the ebay sale for you at no additional cost, and credit the sale proceeds against new purchases. Unless you are an experienced ebay seller who knows all the tricks of presenting an appealing listing, I think you're likely to get a better price in that trade-in scenario than either a flat barter to the store for a negotiated price or trying to sell it through ebay or craigslist on your own. But some shops don't really have the knack of effective ebay selling, so have a look at some of the ebay listings and pick a shop that seems to know the ropes.