learning to cast, progress report

870 kid

Reaction score
Some of you may remember I bought my first fly rod (Sage Launch 5 wt.) and we've had some bad weather and i havent had much of a chance to practice. Went to my friends house today (he's fly fished since he was 10) and he has enough open lawn space for casting- spent awhile there and finally am policing my forward cast (i was going to far forward before) and my friend was impressed with my "loop management"- I'm getting it further out there but i have things to work on for sure- my tippett isn't folding out nicely every time (still getting a few "pileups") and I can tell watching my friend that once I get some of my technique issues down I'll need to learn to "pump" the line to load more energy- i'm planning on swinging by the fly shop where i bought my rig this coming weekend and seeing what pointers they can give me. Overall I'm really enjoying learning to cast and am excited for when I get it down. I got snagged up on a dandelion or something and man I can only imagine what a nice smally will feel like on my rod!

BigCliff

Reaction score
Sounds like great progress, but ease into the whole line pumping thing. I think what you're referring to is a technique called the single/double haul. Its a great way to increase line speed, control loop size and all sorts of wonderful things like this.

However, there's also alot of truth in the idea that the double haul is a way to throw your casting mistakes further. Its a wonderful thing to learn and have in your arsenal, but just make sure you're not putting a supercharger on an engine that hasn't had all the basic engineering bugs worked out yet.

randyflycaster

Reaction score
As for your leader piling up there can be several causes for this, most of them because your cast in underpowered. One thing I would check is your
loop-to-loop, fly line to leader connection - assuming you're not using a nail knot. I would make the loops as small as possible so your cast doesn't lose
energy when it unrolls. Also, I don't know if you put a slid a loop connector onto the end of your flyline. If so, you should make sure the "sleeve" of the connector is pushed all the way down, so that there isn't a gap between the tip of the fly line and the end of the sleeve. (I hope that makes sense.) If there is a little gap, I would take some shoe goo or something like it and rub it around the outside of the gap.

Randy