Length and weight rod for nymph fishing?

bloomagoo

Reaction score
9' or 10' is standard in 3wt or 4wt. Technically, you can use any length rod for nymph fishing if you're throwing an indicator rig, though longer rods will make mending your line much easier. I have very successfully used an 8' Superfine 4wt for nymph fishing in indicator rig.

If you plan to tightline nymph w/o an indicator then I would highly recommend a 10' rod in 3wt or 4wt. Those who euro nymph will often go with 11' 3wt. Hope this helps, but it probably just opens the door to a lot more questions.

comeonavs

Reaction score
Pretty much what bloomagoo said

I use all sorts of rods for nymphing but if I am going fishing say early spring before any dry fly activity is even a possibility I fish a 10' 4WT. 3Wt would work but its windy here in Colorado in the spring so I wanted the 4wt for flipping big stonefly doubles and bobbers....yes I called it a bobber:eek:

wthorpe

Reaction score
When nymphing i normally use two flies, often some lead substitute for weight and an indicator (typically a thingamabobber). i normally use a 9' 5 or 6 wt rod. And i normally fish flies fairly close to me, unless i just cant wade to a spot that i really want to fish to. What is the advantage of a 4 or 3 wt in that situation?

CutThroat Leaders

Business Member
Reaction score
Like others have mentioned, when tight-line nymphing I like 10’ -11’-0” 3 & 4 wt. If and when I am throwing heavy weighted rigs with indicators, I like a 5wt, 9’-0.

I have a had great success with a 10’-0” 4wt from Allen Fly Fishing when I Czech Nymph (high-stick). The longer softer rods help you reach the fish and feel the lightest of hits.

If new to high sticking, fish the run like you normally would do, then grab your high stick setup. Often, you are hooking fish within a few feet of your position. You will often hook into the largest of fish hanging tight to the bottom in the very same run you were just about to leave because it was all fished out. Give it a try, it works…

scotty macfly

Reaction score
Just like comeonavs, a 10' 4wt is what I use. Med/fast action because I use mine for Czech nymphing, so with a softer tip I don't rip the fly out of it's mouth, or break off the tippet.

smsnyder

Reaction score
Due you guys like a fast action or medium rod for nymphing?

---------- Post added at 06:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:01 PM ----------

I have a Hardy Zenith 9 foot 5 weight. It seems to be a fast action rod. I also have a G Loomis NRX light presentation 9 foot 5 weight. It seems to be a medium action rod. Which of these rods would you use with or with out an indicator when nymphing? Thanks

dennyk

Reaction score
I hope to expand my choices in the future but for now I use a 9' 5wt. Good rod for large streams and up to medium rivers (such as the Muskegon here in Michigan). Good all around rod to fish smallies as well.

Denny

fenix84

Reaction score
euro nymphing i use a greys GR-70 streamflex plus 9'6" / 10' 4wt, seems to be pretty sensitive. Also since its a medium-fast works well with dries as well, if u want it to pull double duty.

lots of people love the old greys streamflex 10' or 11' rods for euro nymphing, its slower and more sensitive. they are discontinued so can be had for a great price.

for indicator nymphing it doesn't really matter to me, i use whatever im carrying, normally fast action 9'. something that can mend well helps.

As to your question, id use the Hardy Zenith 9 foot 5 weight, its probably my favorite rod to cast (dont own one). This would be great for indicator nymphing.

Bigfly

Reaction score
If straight line nymphing, either merican or euro style, I like a Sage 11ft 3wt esn.
(It is a tad faster than the Greys...)
Like mentioned, it works well with dries too...
For small bobber set-ups I like the discontinued Sage 9'9" in a 6wt.
For industrial nymphing, a 6wt 11' switch rod.
This rod can fish in several styles as well.
So, with three rods, I can fish anyway I want.

Have used almost every set-up known....this list will let you fish anything from a step-over creek, to scary big.....

I recommend getting the tool for the job......don't try to break rock, with a tack hammer..You'll have more fun....

Jim

acorad

Reaction score
10' 2wt for tight line/Direct Contact nymphing for me. Very successful.

Andy

sindrih

Reaction score
5wt Sage flight is my usual.
Also have a 3wt blue halo for smaller streams and a 6wt 10f flextec that I use for nymphing.

mikeray1986

Reaction score
East Coast small stream trout fishing, i use a 9" 4 wt. Walton rod. Even wrangled in some monster browns on one of their 7 wt. rods and it was nymphing with a salmon fly. Hope that helps!

Cheers,

Michael A. Ray

clouserguyky

Reaction score
I have an 8' 4 weight, a 8'6" 5 weight, and a9' 6 weight I use for nymph trout fishing. Usually the 9' 6 weight unless I'm fishing dries. I wanna try a 10' 4 weight or a 9'6" 5 weight next though.

xvigauge

Reaction score
There are many rods that will work. I have a Syndicate 10 ft 3 wt and some off brand 10 ft 4 wt. They are good for the true form of HSN fishing. I also use shorter rods with heavier lines and they still work fine. It's more about technique than equipment. The best advice is to dance with the one you brought.
Joe

Last edited:

proheli

Reaction score
703/4 for small streams
884 is my main rod, drys and dry dropper, light nymphing.
906 for anything more needed. Wind, distance, big hoppers.

reels

Reaction score
It's not clear to me if "nymph fishing" means euro nymphing or more traditional techniques, but...

For euro nymphing (tight-lining) I prefer 2wt - 3wt sticks that are greater than 10' 6".
My go to for euro nymphing right now is the Thomas & Thomas Contact 3wt 10' 8".

For fishing traditional techniques (dries, floating indicators, etc.) I use a CTS Affinity X 3wt 10'.

I prefer separate rods/setups for traditional vs. tight-line techniques myself, but everyone has their own style.

There's some discussion on the characteristics of euro nymphing rods here in case it helps:

Characteristics of euro nymphing rods - br fly fishing

Bigfly

Reaction score
PB060196 by James Landis, on Flickr

The nymphing quiver of choice for our waters.....
Sage X 11ft 6wt switch.
Sage ESN 11ft 3wt.
Sort of the big/little brothers.
Anything bigger than 20" gets the big stick...........

Jim