Where Ya Going 2017?

k_e_v

Reaction score
Farmington, ill. -Stop by for a cold beer on your
With the weather outside it is a good time to dream and plan your next trip. I was wondering what you have planned for 2017 or still have in the daydreaming stage.

I will start. Kevjr just moved to Boise and on New Years Day I will be driving a pickup load of his stuff out west. On the return trip I am going to hit the Green for 2 days and if weather permits drop down to the Frying Pan for a single day on the way home. A lot of drive time and a "low" budget trip but it will be nice to get back on the water.;)

Whatcha got on your radar?

kevin

plecain

Reaction score
Interesting and timely question for me.

I'll be 70 in 2017 (yikes). My wife and children have offered to send me on a fishing trip as a birthday present.

Now I have to think about what kind of thing I want.

J

james w 3 3

There's an extraordinary solar eclipse in August which, as it turns out, will track through the upper part of the western USA. Eastern Oregon, Idaho, Wyoming.
An eclipse in my home country simply cannot be missed. The chance to combine it with some fishing, priceless!

denver1911

Reaction score
Corpus Christie in January.

Belize at the end of February.

I'll miss my annual April backpacking trip to the Smokies because my wife wants to shoot the Southern Side-bySide Classic that weekend. So, I'm gonna make her to go Cataloochee with me earlier that month. It'll be a hard sell ... not. She loves that place.

Probably back to Panama City sometime during the year.

Maybe a trip further south in the Laguna Madre too.

And, of course, several day-trips here in Kentucky.

jayr

Reaction score
Planning some new areas in WNC and the upstate of SC.

I might do some camping, but I really do like a bed and hot shower so I mostly stay at motels while I am out of my normal range. I go ahead and reserve a room in an area for a couple of back to BACK weekends in case the weather is bad. If you cancel a day or two in advance, doesn't cost me a dime. By reserving early you are assured a room and you get much cheaper rates.

dakotakid

Reaction score
In addition to expanding my range on the West coast of Florida (Homosassa, Crystal River, etc.) this Spring for saltwater species, I hope to also hit the Au Sable River in Northeast Michigan in the Summer.

ia_trouter

Reaction score
Not likely to stray out of the Midwest. Explore more of the quality Driftless streams as I have barely scratched to surface. And probably northern Minnesota and Wisconsin lakes for some warm water fishing.

mka

Reaction score
My goal for 2017 is to do more camping...my Grandson who lives in ABQ turns 5 next year and he is going to get some camping and fishing time with Grandpa. I usually take only day trips up to the Jemez streams to fish but want to do more over nighters there this next year...coffee, biscuits, and eggs at the campsite are fabulous in the morning before jumping into a stream for fishing. My wife wants to join our friends for camping up in Valle Vidal again this year...we have a great time there! And then, there are always the trips to Abe's and the San Juan:)

I've also started planning my annual camping/fishing trip with my brother who lives in Oklahoma. That will be a combination of fishing in NM and CO in 2017. El Jefe has given me some great ideas of where to fish in CO.

I'm thinking 2017 will be a great year!!!

moucheur2003

Reaction score
Ideally:

Bahamas for bonefish in March

Canada for Atlantic salmon in August

Somewhere in the Rockies for trout in the late spring or early fall

Florida for snook, redfish, and largemouths whenever we go visit the in-laws

Locally here in New England for trout, bass, stripers, bluefish, bonito and what-all else in other free time

Not that the entire list will get checked off, but it's worth a try.

Matt4.0

Reaction score
Probably going to Bermuda in June. Americas Cup (Sailing) championship is out there, and I'm sure we'll hunt down some fishing opportunities.

itinerant

Reaction score
February brings an annual reunion trip to the San Juan, this trip down we'll be memorializing a friend and reunion originator who passed away unexpectedly last spring.

Also planning an August trip to the Kenai Peninsula with my younger brother and our wives. We'll both celebrate "milestone" birthdays next year and he's never been to Alaska, so off we go.

Rick

duker

Reaction score
A buddy and I are heading to Belize at the end of February--my third time, his first. Denver1911, where are you headed? We're going to Turneffe Flats.

After that I'll have to wait for summer to get here. I'll go for whitefish in June when the ice is out and the suckers are spawning. I'd like to try for some lake trout on a fly--only done that once before. And I'd like to get back to the East Arm of Great Slave Lake--I've got a friend who lives out there and he's within paddling distance of lots of little creeks and streams full of grayling and lake trout that have never seen a fly.

Next fall I'll head back to Alaska for our annual coho trip, and then to BC after that for a couple weeks of steelheading.

So much water, so little time.

Scott

crc01

Reaction score
Xcalak next month to chase permit. Then probably Campeche again in August or September, then hopefully back to Montana In October, or maybe even March. I have an open offer from a friend that just bought a house on Ambergris this past year and is getting into fly fishing. I believe he goes down there for a week every month. Need to take him up on that.

Plenty of fat TX redfish in between those trips to kill the time. ;)

denver1911

Reaction score
There's an extraordinary solar eclipse in August which, as it turns out, will track through the upper part of the western USA. Eastern Oregon, Idaho, Wyoming.
An eclipse in my home country simply cannot be missed. The chance to combine it with some fishing, priceless!
Yeah. It's the longest a couple hours from my home. I've got two reservations. One east and one west of me. We'll go to the one that has the best weather forecast. My wife is an astro-phycist and wouldn't miss it for anything.

A buddy and I are heading to Belize at the end of February--my third time, his first. Denver1911, where are you headed? We're going to Turneffe Flats.

Scott
El Pescador. Second time. May take a trip to Turneffe later in the year.

jzim

Reaction score
Gonna fish either Mossy Creek or Smith Creek in the Shenandoah Valley in June.

flyminded

Reaction score
Well let's see what's already planned;

Late Jan/Early Feb - Abaco, DIY Bonefish

March - W. Nc Camping

April - W.Nc ( again )

June thru Mid August - E.Tn

And hopefully a return to NZ, South Island next winter for another DIY camper van tour of various water ways.

runningfish

Reaction score
Planning to make a couple of road trips from Socal to Alberta instead of fying with the wife and kids.
Dont know what to expect since i've never done it before but i wont skip nice spots to fish and to stretch.