Fly fishing combo for kids

stevem

Reaction score
I've read the recent thread about beginner's combos but didn't want to push it off-topic with this question so started another.

I finally took up fly fishing last year after wanting to for many, many years. I greatly enjoyed it and now my kids are excited about it. I started looking online for some combos that might be appropriate and wondered what other members have tried out.

My kids are 9 and 10 and we fish mainly for panfish, but also occasionally smallmouth and largemouth bass. I see Cabelas has some nice looking combos for $100 or less. Looked around at BassPro but the flyfishing selection in their Canadian store is pretty sad. Last time I checked their shipping costs were considerably higher than Cabelas as well.

Also, any recommendations as to rod wt/size would be appreciated. I was thinking something like a 4wt/7' rod but wasn't sure if that would be an easy setup for them to learn on.

Thanks,
Steve

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi Steve,

If you want them to learn to fly fish they need good gear that works just like an adult. Nothing wrong with a 4wt but with bass in the mix they may be better off with a 5wt. I think the 7' length is too short for them. A 8' may be a better choice. If they are large for their age then maybe even an 8' 6". The longer rod would be more useful as they grow older. If one is a small girl then maybe a 7' 6". This is all guessing on my part. They need to hold a rod and judge its weight and how they can control it. They will grow like a weed from here on and I would not size the rod for just today.

Frank

stevem

Reaction score
Thanks Frank, great advice as always. You're right about them growing like weeds, especially the past year or so!

My son is average build, my daughter (10) is slighter. Next time we are out looking I'll have them hold both sizes and see what feels right for them. I'll also have a look online and see what's available in the 5wt/7'6"-8' range.

Thanks again.

Steve

sandfly

Reaction score
go for one of the 7'9" 5wt orvis clearwater ones, they can put a combo together for you. great for kids.I used them for years at Orvis when i taught class

tie one on

Reaction score
I just received a catalogue from LLBean & the had a fairly
inexpensive (under $100, Angler fly rod) starter outfit for kids.
I would also tend to agree with previous comments. If you were just
planning on targeting panfish a 8'6" 4wt would be great, but if
there are bass you should consider a 5wt. I do also agree that
a shorter rod is not the best choice for beginners. The shortest
rod I own is my panfish 8'6" 3wt & that's all I target with that rod.
I commend you for teaching your children to enjoy this "quiet
sport". Enjoy that time, it's precious.

Tie One On

stevem

Reaction score
Thanks for the info everyone. This will give me more stuff to have a look at :)

error4o4

Reaction score
about this time last year, i bought my younger brother his first fly fishing set. we also catch mostly panfish, with the occasional bass thrown in there. i think i spent around 60 for a pflueger set up at cabelas (8' 4/5wt). mostly wanted to see if he would enjoy it and if it was something he wanted to continue before making much of an investment. this year should be a rod upgrade...

Kai

Reaction score
When my daughter was 9, I bought her a St. Croix "Triumph" rod.

It's a 7 1/2 foot 4 weight.

St. Croix Fishing Rods - Spinning, Casting, Saltwater, Fly

One of the things I like about it (beside that it was cheap) is that it has a medium action, and it's easy to feel the fly line flexing the rod. I started her out on one of my faster action graphite rods, and it was harder for her to learn the casting stroke and rhythm. She picked it up much more quickly once I had her cast the slower action St. Croix.

The shorter length is an advantage as well. Makes lots of things easier for a child, like stringing the rod, changing flies, etc.

So, my advice would be to get a medium action rod, in a shorter length. A 4 or 5 weight would probably be a good choice. 4 weight would be better for panfish, 5 weight better for bass.