What are your top 5 trout streamers?

gkdevon1

Reaction score
Just wondering what are your guys top 5 or so favorite trout streamers. I frequently fly fish for trout in MD streams/ rivers but don't too many streamers. The only streamers I use are variations of wolly buggers. Just looking for some new streamer suggestions. Thanks

moucheur2003

Reaction score
1. Wooly Bugger
2. Gartside's Soft Hackle
3. Black Ghost Marabou
4. Marabou Muddler
5. Hornberg Special

Bonus: Black Nosed Dace (technically it's a bucktail rather than a streamer, but the distinction was never that meaningful even when it was more common)

bigjim5589

Reaction score
I can't say I had "top" streamers for trout since I didn't fish for them often enough. However, I grew up in MD and have fished many of the trout streams with streamers. Most would be sizes from 4 to 10 depending on the stream.

My list would include:
Black & Olive Woolly Buggers, sizes depending on the stream
Black Ghost Streamer
Black Nose Dace ( and sometimes tied Clouser Minnow style)
Zonkers, black, white or gray grizzly rabbit with pearl, gold or silver bodies.
Clouser Minnows, smaller size, like 6 or smaller tied with materials such as fox fur and bead chain eye for shallow water. Plus an all black leech pattern tied with ostrich herl & a bit of flash. This leech can be large in some streams, like a size 2.

I mostly fished the Gunpowder, Deer Creek, Morgan Run, the Patuxent (above & below the reservoirs), and occasionally Hunting Creek or Antietam Creek.

I also fished nymphs & terrestrial patterns most often when I did get the opportunity to go. I grew up in Severna Park & lived in Arnold for about 37 years, so trout fishing for me always required some traveling.

jgentile

Reaction score
Top five trout streamers....

With the exception of hairwings aren't most of the new "modern" streamers all just variations of the Deceiver, Bugger, Muddler and perhaps Zonker? Come up with a crazy name, make a YouTube video and sync it to some rage rock or worse dub step and you are an instant genius.

Don't get me wrong, I'm crazy in love with what the next gen tyers are doing to some of the classics, so let me get off my soap box and say:

1) Deceiveresque pattern
2) Sculpin pattern
3) Crayfish pattern
4) Marabou/EP Fiber minnow pattern
5) Buggeresque pattern articulated or not

chukin

Reaction score
1. Clouser skinny water
2. Clouser baby brook
3. Clouser foxy
4. Clouser baby bass
5. Clouser sculpin

Rip Tide

Reaction score
  • Marabou Muddler
  • Black ghost, Clouser style
  • Gartside soft hackle
  • Hornberg
  • Picket pin

The Hornberg and the Picket Pin could be considered "wet" flies and the Hornberg can even be fished dry but they're streamers in my book.

Pink and Purple Marabou Muddler ;)

williamhj

Reaction score
FWIW here are mine

1. Slump Buster
2. Wooly Bugger
3. Sex Dungeon
4. Reece's Masked Bandit
4. Sculpin (use fish skulls)

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
This thread needs more pictures.

Different streamers for different species of fish sometimes;

All trout everywhere = Ard's Nine Three or the original 9/3

While the 9 - 3 works everywhere I've fished trout I used Oatman's Brook Trout on wild brook trout streams almost exclusively.

For wild brown trout where they make babies I made The Answer and it worked very well.

Dry in Vise

When wet

For rainbow Trout here in Alaska where they are often in the deep and swift I use the Big Fat Bunny Fur Sculpin

And while not the top producer the Gray Ghost has worked everywhere I ever fished so it makes the cut also.
It is no doubt true that a lot of fish get caught on Wooly bugger's I've only ever used the Bugger one time. I did catch a fish but it just wasn't the same. I like my fancy stuff and continue to build all sort of pretty flies that catch fish as well as fishermen :)

Last edited:

bigjim5589

Reaction score
Ard, your streamers are always wonderful to see! Since you mentioned Oatman, the Dr. Oatman Streamer is also very good in MD waters. However, I used it more for stream SM bass than I did for trout. :rolleyes:

The Gray Ghost was also popular in MD at one time. Not sure about now, but it will certainly catch it's share of trout anywhere it's used. :thumbsup:

I had simplified it for my use, and tied it with a flat gold tinsel body, and usually Mallard breast or flank cheeks & topped the gray wing with peacock herl. It was a quicker tie with materials I used more often & seemed to swim better. The peacock herl under the body tends to foul too often unless made very long when the fly is cast ( instead of trolled.) I also didn't use JC eyes, never had them to use, so I added stick on eyes & epoxy coated them. Heresy I'm sure, but the fish never seemed to care, neither trout nor bass. ;)

Reactions: Ard

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Jim,

Agreed that fish don't care about the cheeks but I learned the old way and always stuck to it. And............ I always appreciate your complementing some pictures :) I still tie some every winter just to be sure I have the knack. Every fall when the water is low on the small creeks around here I fish them too and still reel some in on them. On the big rivers I've taken to using rather large tubes most of the time and have figured out how to make them fancy too.

duker

Reaction score
The only trout I've caught on a fly are lake trout, dolly varden, and steelhead (unless pacific salmon count?), so take this for what it's worth.

In no particular order:
1. Woolly bugger
2. Mickey Finn
3. Orange wiggler
4. Clouser Minnow
5. Egg sucking leech

Scott

weiliwen

Reaction score
Wooly Bugger Duh, the most successful streamer ever. In many color/weight combos.

Muddler Minnow. I grew up with this one, catching NW Oregon Searun Cutts. It works just as well in Wisconsin's Driftless Area, my primary fishing area these days.

Spruce Fly ditto, and my favorite fly in the world. I am sure I've caught well over a thousand SRC's with this fly.

Mickey Finn It only ever works for me in early season, but when it works, it works great. Early one spring on Oregon's Fall River, I was told tiny black nymph would be the ticket. When that didn't work, I reached for the gaudiest fly in my box, and out came a #10 Mickey Finn. I caught and released about a dozen in the next hour to the consternation of the purists fishing nearby.

My last fly doesn't have a name from what I can gather, but is simply a piece of silvery mesh tube tied with the hook shank inside it. For reasons I cannot figure, I've never caught a trout with it, but many warm water fish.

clouserguyky

Reaction score
Wooly bugger and variants (thin mint, autumn splendor, etc.)
Orange blossom
Zonker
Circus peanut
Double bunny

guidegun

Reaction score
1. Golden Retriever
2. Olive or brown wholly buggers with flash
3. Grey Ghost
4. Montreal Hoar
5. Black Ghost

Been a bugger and feather wing streamer guy. I want to fish a lot more bigger stuff like muddlers, sculpins, double bunny's, etc on sink tips for big brookies.

dwizum

Reaction score
1) Clouser Minnow

Really, that's pretty much the only "streamer" I fish for non-migratory trout. I don't really follow the pattern strictly, so maybe I should say "clouser-style minnow variations." Basically, a hook with white bucktail on the bottom side, brown, olive, or black bucktail on the top, sometimes weighted eyes, sometimes a bit of some flashy pink or green dubbing for a body.

I'm a simple guy. If this stops catching fish, maybe I'll try something else. Otherwise, I can't really be bothered.

al_a

Reaction score
Streamers are the one type of trout fly that I tie myself, and I keep it simple. I don't have pictures and it's always a pain to get photos onto this site anyway for me, so I'll try to describe the streamers I tie...

Everything pretty much is basically a palmered body of either cross cut rabbit strips or some flashy stuff. Tail is either a rabbit strip or a red squirrel strip. Weight is barbell lead if I'm fishing waters where lead is permissable, painted to look like eyes or painted solid black. Weight goes on like a Clouser, except for crayfish patterns, where I put the weight back near the bend of the hook (and have two strips of red squirrel for the tail to look like crayfish pincers).

I tie some bushy and some sparser. I use a variety of colors. Banded dark brown and light yellowish olive in the crosscut strips, tied pretty bushy, with a dark brown strip for the tail imitates a sculpin very well, and the same colors work for the crayfish pattern, though I also use dark brown and a medium olive for a darker, less contrasty crawdad. Banded olive and "natural" gray for the body with an olive tail, tied more sparsely, imitates various minnow species pretty well, especially mixing in a strand of long stranded ice chenille in pearl as you palmer it on, and adding a few strands of pearl flashabou to the tail. For a lighter minnow imitation, I use white or cream cross cut strips for the body with the strand of pearl ice chenille, same color for the tail, and tint the top with a permanent marker in whatever color I want the back to be. Various barred zonker strips get experimented with at times, and black body, black tail is always in my box. I tie them in a couple of sizes. Very simple tie, and works about as well as any fancy streamer I've ever used...I don't know whether that's five different streamers or not :)

dharkin

Reaction score
The areas that I fish most;

1. Wolly Bugger
2. Mickey Finn
3. Shufelt Special
4. Grey Ghost
5. Black Nosed Dace

This was tougher than I thought.