Dreaming of Fly Fishing Kamchatka

lhook7

Reaction score
I'm an avid hunter, but have never hunted Kamchatka because there are so many horror stories about illegal hunts and stolen deposits. Does anyone hear these types of complaints when it comes to fishing?

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
I'm an avid hunter, but have never hunted Kamchatka because there are so many horror stories about illegal hunts and stolen deposits. Does anyone hear these types of complaints when it comes to fishing?
I'm guessing not, but the people that are sponsoring that trip to Kamchatka is "The Fly Shop". If your interested, give them a call and ask about the risks.

Larry

scoutm

Reaction score
If you go with a reputable outfitter you won't have issues. I used The Fly Shop when I went. Their Russian outfitter did a great job. On the return flight I met a number of guys who used Yellow Dog and The Best of Kamchatka and all reported their trips were also handled extremely well. I was surprised how many of the guys I met were return visitors. Now 6 months later I'm not surprised at all...I would do it again in a heart beat.

Our Russian outfitter also ran big game hunts but in recent years has had to limit the big game hunts to only bear. He said the poaching activities in his concession (which was a massive drainage system) has all but wiped out the Moose and the Big Horn Sheep.

lhook7

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses Mcerney and Scoutm! I've wanted to see this part of the world for a while, but like Scoutm's post mentioned, poaching is rampant. I know of more than a few hunters who thought they were on legitimate hunts, but ended up with Lacey Act violations which cost them a fortune to litigate. I'll definitely add it to the list as a future fishing destination.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses Mcerney and Scoutm! I've wanted to see this part of the world for a while, but like Scoutm's post mentioned, poaching is rampant. I know of more than a few hunters who thought they were on legitimate hunts, but ended up with Lacey Act violations which cost them a fortune to litigate. I'll definitely add it to the list as a future fishing destination.
If you get on the "The Fly Shop" web site they list the different options and prices.....better start saving!

scoutm

Reaction score
.....better start saving!
You aren't kidding on this part and the worst of it is the listed prices only cover about 65% of the total cost when you start adding in the cost of flights, visa, required insurance, tips and gear (non-fishing).

Very expensive but worth every penny!!

mcmac

Reaction score
You aren't kidding on this part and the worst of it is the listed prices only cover about 65% of the total cost when you start adding in the cost of flights, visa, required insurance, tips and gear (non-fishing).

Really want to make this trip... but damn, 65%? Holy toledo, how much is a visa and insurance... LOL.

Just out of curiosity how much is appropriate for a tip on this type of trip. Feel free to IM me with your response as I understand this could generate a whole new conversation that is somewhat off topic.

Really excited and hopeful that I get to make this trip one of these days.

Mike

scoutm

Reaction score
Really want to make this trip... but damn, 65%? Holy toledo, how much is a visa and insurance... LOL.

Just out of curiosity how much is appropriate for a tip on this type of trip. Feel free to IM me with your response as I understand this could generate a whole new conversation that somewhat off topic.

Really excited and hopeful that I get to make this trip one of these days.

Mike
the two biggest hits were the flight cost and the trip insurance. I will send a pm

flyminded

Reaction score
You aren't kidding on this part and the worst of it is the listed prices only cover about 65% of the total cost when you start adding in the cost of flights, visa, required insurance, tips and gear (non-fishing)
That is about how I recalled the costs when I started looking into going ....I wasn't looking for long once I discovered the real costs.

gutterpunk

Reaction score

What rods were you fishing with?

scoutm

Reaction score
What rods were you fishing with?
I took four rods - one 7wt, two 6wt and one 5 wt. The 7wt got fished for maybe 2 hours. The 6wts got fished the most by far and the 5 wt got fished when I started having problems one of the 6wt reels on the second to last day.

The two primary rods were sage Salt 690 for streamer and Scott Radian 906 for mousing.

I have no idea why they recommended the 7wt on the trip I took. I could see where a 7wt could get a lot of use on other rivers there just wasn't useful on my trip.

gutterpunk

Reaction score
I took four rods - one 7wt, two 6wt and one 5 wt. The 7wt got fished for maybe 2 hours. The 6wts got fished the most by far and the 5 wt got fished when I started having problems one of the 6wt reels on the second to last day.

The two primary rods were sage Salt 690 for streamer and Scott Radian 906 for mousing.

I have no idea why they recommended the 7wt on the trip I took. I could see where a 7wt could get a lot of use on other rivers there just wasn't useful on my trip.
Thanks. I asked because those are big fish. I suppose if they acted more like steelhead than maybe a 7? I don't know. Looks like a grand time.