The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > >

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  36
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Old 03-20-2017, 06:15 PM

gzarboni is a glorious beacon of lightgzarboni is a glorious beacon of lightgzarboni is a glorious beacon of lightgzarboni is a glorious beacon of lightgzarboni is a glorious beacon of lightgzarboni is a glorious beacon of light
Default Tacky fly boxes.

Anybody use the tacky deluxe fly box and the tacky fly tube? Looking for some reviews. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"The Fishing was good, it was the catching that was bad"

http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/fo...logs/gzarboni/
Old 03-20-2017, 06:33 PM

sndmn11 is a splendid one to beholdsndmn11 is a splendid one to beholdsndmn11 is a splendid one to beholdsndmn11 is a splendid one to beholdsndmn11 is a splendid one to beholdsndmn11 is a splendid one to beholdsndmn11 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Tacky fly boxes.

I have four tacky boxes, and tried unsuccessfully multiple times to talk them into selling me a loose insert for each so that I could glue it to the unused clear side. They beat foam hands down, you can't tell a slot has been used regardless of hook size. They also dry out simply because the silicone does not absorb water. If I had more space for more boxes I would own the deluxe version you are asking about. The only drawback to the deluxe is it is (I think) 1/4" thicker.
I do have the tube, and it is great. I use mine as one would a drying patch, and have not lost a fly after using one since they were released. I would commonly loose a fly every now and then using either a solid foam or slotted foam patch. My only complaint with the tube is that some of the slots are harder than I had hoped to get a fly into because the diameter of the tube is small enough to interfere. The magnet is strong and most weights of flies you can just toss it into the tube and it stays.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes gzarboni, mcnerney liked this post
Old 03-20-2017, 06:50 PM

luj333 is on a distinguished road

I haven't used the tube but totally agree with gzarboni that the tacky fly boxes are amazing. A little bit pricier but totally worth the money in my opinion.
Likes gzarboni liked this post
Old 03-20-2017, 06:58 PM

gzarboni is a glorious beacon of lightgzarboni is a glorious beacon of lightgzarboni is a glorious beacon of lightgzarboni is a glorious beacon of lightgzarboni is a glorious beacon of lightgzarboni is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by sndmn11 View Post
I have four tacky boxes, and tried unsuccessfully multiple times to talk them into selling me a loose insert for each so that I could glue it to the unused clear side. They beat foam hands down, you can't tell a slot has been used regardless of hook size. They also dry out simply because the silicone does not absorb water. If I had more space for more boxes I would own the deluxe version you are asking about. The only drawback to the deluxe is it is (I think) 1/4" thicker.

I do have the tube, and it is great. I use mine as one would a drying patch, and have not lost a fly after using one since they were released. I would commonly loose a fly every now and then using either a solid foam or slotted foam patch. My only complaint with the tube is that some of the slots are harder than I had hoped to get a fly into because the diameter of the tube is small enough to interfere. The magnet is strong and most weights of flies you can just toss it into the tube and it stays.

Awesome, thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"The Fishing was good, it was the catching that was bad"

http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/fo...logs/gzarboni/
Old 03-20-2017, 07:26 PM

plainsman is on a distinguished road

I second the above posters on the pluses of the tacky fly boxes. I also have the tube and the only problem I have had with it is the strength of the magnet that holds it closed. I often find the tube hanging open (what causes it to open I haven't conclusively figured out yet), but open or closed, I have never lost a fly I have placed in it.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Old 03-20-2017, 08:19 PM

sndmn11 is a splendid one to beholdsndmn11 is a splendid one to beholdsndmn11 is a splendid one to beholdsndmn11 is a splendid one to beholdsndmn11 is a splendid one to beholdsndmn11 is a splendid one to beholdsndmn11 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by plainsman View Post
I second the above posters on the pluses of the tacky fly boxes. I also have the tube and the only problem I have had with it is the strength of the magnet that holds it closed. I often find the tube hanging open (what causes it to open I haven't conclusively figured out yet), but open or closed, I have never lost a fly I have placed in it.
I can see how that could be the case, do you have it dangling? I stuck Velcro on both sides of mine and stuck it on top of my chest pack replacing the foam piece that came with it originally. I attached a zinger to one of the D ring looking things in case it gets pulled off by a bush or tree pokey. I don't think I would trust any fly patch just dangling to hold my flies.
Old 03-20-2017, 08:43 PM

plainsman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sndmn11 View Post
I can see how that could be the case, do you have it dangling? I stuck Velcro on both sides of mine and stuck it on top of my chest pack replacing the foam piece that came with it originally. I attached a zinger to one of the D ring looking things in case it gets pulled off by a bush or tree pokey. I don't think I would trust any fly patch just dangling to hold my flies.
You are obviously sentient, sir!! Seriously, yes I do have it dangling from my sling and your suggestions are much appreciated. I should have taken steps some time ago to solve the problem and your advice is much appreciated.
Old 03-20-2017, 09:32 PM

matt77 is on a distinguished road

I would look at the Orvis / Tacky Collab boxes. They come in a hopper dropper and just a double of the traditional which is better suited for nymphs. They are definitely thicker but you get 2 boxes in one.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes gzarboni, triedandproven liked this post
Old 03-21-2017, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plainsman View Post
You are obviously sentient, sir!! Seriously, yes I do have it dangling from my sling and your suggestions are much appreciated. I should have taken steps some time ago to solve the problem and your advice is much appreciated.
I had to look up what sentient means.
Likes k_e_v liked this post
Old 03-21-2017, 09:39 PM

goshawk87 is a glorious beacon of lightgoshawk87 is a glorious beacon of lightgoshawk87 is a glorious beacon of lightgoshawk87 is a glorious beacon of lightgoshawk87 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt77 View Post
I would look at the Orvis / Tacky Collab boxes. They come in a hopper dropper and just a double of the traditional which is better suited for nymphs. They are definitely thicker but you get 2 boxes in one.
I have two tacky boxes of dries, I have considered getting the double orvis box to consolidate them. If they fit in a regular tacky box, would they fit in that one?

I