The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > >

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  6
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Old 03-28-2017, 09:59 PM

myt1 has much to be proud ofmyt1 has much to be proud ofmyt1 has much to be proud ofmyt1 has much to be proud ofmyt1 has much to be proud ofmyt1 has much to be proud ofmyt1 has much to be proud ofmyt1 has much to be proud ofmyt1 has much to be proud ofmyt1 has much to be proud of
Default So, would you drive from Phoenix to Flaming Gorge for...

...6000 cfs reservoir releases? It is my understanding 2000 cfs is more typical.

I plan on leaving on Saturday.

Even if I could catch fish...highly doubtful, since I plan on fishing from shore...I just don't think it will be the experience I'm after.

Other areas I'm considering are Gunnison Gorge near Pleasure Park, the Frying Pan, and the San Juan.

I would love to get some insight on this. This is a huge trip for me and I don't want to end up getting frustrated.

Thanks so much.
Old 03-28-2017, 10:23 PM

el jefe has a brilliant futureel jefe has a brilliant futureel jefe has a brilliant futureel jefe has a brilliant futureel jefe has a brilliant futureel jefe has a brilliant futureel jefe has a brilliant futureel jefe has a brilliant futureel jefe has a brilliant futureel jefe has a brilliant futureel jefe has a brilliant future
Default Re: So, would you drive from Phoenix to Flaming Gorge for...

I fished the San Juan from the shore at 5,000 cfs (500 cfs is about average), and all you end up doing is trying to stay alive. Most of the holding lies will be near you, along the shore, but drifting a fly in that water is a tough task. I ended up seeking out the new water that had been created, the side channels and new streams at those flows, like the twin-track road from the Texas Hole parking lot east toward ESPN Hole. That worked. But to try to fish from shore in those conditions is challenging.

The San Juan isn't supposed to start its flush for a while yet. I'd check with the BLM for its scheduled releases, just to make sure. Can't comment on any of your other options. By the way, if you go Flaming Gorge, have a PFD with one hand on the pull tab at all times.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes triedandproven liked this post
Old 03-28-2017, 10:44 PM

triedandproven has a spectacular aura abouttriedandproven has a spectacular aura about

I'll second talking to the BLM about releases. Scuttlebutt down here in NM is that irrigation diversion in CO is supposed to start Sunday which should chill stuff out a bit. As a whitewater kayaker I can tell you that the last couple of weeks in NM and CO flows have been very, very stout, and there was a fair amount of additional snowfall today.

This spring and early summer is going to bring water levels to the west and PNW that haven't been seen in a very long time. As a kayaker I'm stoked and a bit terrified. As a fly fisherman I'm realizing I need to get used to chocolate milk waters for awhile.

Be safe, high flows like we're going to see are deadly serious.
Likes fredaevans liked this post
Old 03-28-2017, 11:01 PM

scoutm has much to be proud ofscoutm has much to be proud ofscoutm has much to be proud ofscoutm has much to be proud ofscoutm has much to be proud ofscoutm has much to be proud ofscoutm has much to be proud ofscoutm has much to be proud ofscoutm has much to be proud of

Don't know about your other options but the San Juan is flowing at around 500 cfs so should be fishing well. They will be increasing the flows but don't know when. At 500cfs there's lots of wading opportunities but the experience their is CROWDED!

Another place you may want to add to your list since you're thinking CO is the Dolores below McPhee...flows are at about 100 cfs so it's all wade fishing. It's been quite a few years since I've fished there but I've always really enjoyed it when I have.
Likes myt1 liked this post
Old 03-29-2017, 08:24 AM

gigglinpig will become famous soon enough

San Juan in NM is fishing decent right now. Was there last weekend. Just remember to search for the deeper holes, and get used to catching a lot of 8 - 11 inch stocked rainbows in those deeper pools with an occasional big one. I had two big browns try to snatch smaller trouts I had hooked, so I am thinking they are not feeding as much, but when they do it is bigger meals. There is also a lot of rock snot 'algae', so clean your nymphs after every few drifts.

As far as increasing the flows, from what I have heard from guides etc. is early May, so you should be good.
Old 03-29-2017, 08:57 AM

myt1 has much to be proud ofmyt1 has much to be proud ofmyt1 has much to be proud ofmyt1 has much to be proud ofmyt1 has much to be proud ofmyt1 has much to be proud ofmyt1 has much to be proud ofmyt1 has much to be proud ofmyt1 has much to be proud ofmyt1 has much to be proud of

Scoutm,

I think the Dolores River might be a great idea. I've always wanted to give it a try.

I noticed Flaming Gorge Reservoir is up to 6500 cfs, even more than yesterday. I think it will have to wait for another trip.

About the San Juan. I fished there a few weeks ago and had a great time.

If you tell people I told you this I will deny it, but I have just two words to say: chamois leech.
Likes scoutm liked this post
Old 03-29-2017, 10:11 AM

Location: Farmington, ill. ( stop by for a cold beer on your way thru)
k_e_v has a brilliant futurek_e_v has a brilliant futurek_e_v has a brilliant futurek_e_v has a brilliant futurek_e_v has a brilliant futurek_e_v has a brilliant futurek_e_v has a brilliant futurek_e_v has a brilliant futurek_e_v has a brilliant futurek_e_v has a brilliant futurek_e_v has a brilliant future

i would surely take the Green off my list at those flows. It is a beautiful river to wade but certainly not now. They do still put a lot of fish into the boats with high flows though, but I am waiting for normal flows before I head there
Likes myt1 liked this post
Old 03-29-2017, 10:30 AM
So, would you drive from Phoenix to Flaming Gorge for...

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

This is THE Web sight you want to bookmark: https://waterdata.usgs.gov/nwis/rt

Click on the State you want, almost ever bit of moving water has a 'dot.' Click on the 'dot' and you get real time info. Depending upon the location the lastest will be no more than an hour old.

The reporting is from the USGS for flood monitoring.

fae
Likes el jefe liked this post