The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > >

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  52
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Old 04-20-2017, 09:41 PM
Business Member

CutThroat Leaders has a reputation beyond reputeCutThroat Leaders has a reputation beyond reputeCutThroat Leaders has a reputation beyond reputeCutThroat Leaders has a reputation beyond reputeCutThroat Leaders has a reputation beyond reputeCutThroat Leaders has a reputation beyond reputeCutThroat Leaders has a reputation beyond reputeCutThroat Leaders has a reputation beyond reputeCutThroat Leaders has a reputation beyond reputeCutThroat Leaders has a reputation beyond reputeCutThroat Leaders has a reputation beyond repute
Default Your favorite Hatch..

So this image just came across on my face book page. I so love throwing BIG NASTY Salmon Flies to hungry Trout. If you hit this hatch right, it is a load of fun. If you miss it by a few days either side, you have missed it.

Another top hatch that I love, the Trico Hatch. On the spectrum of dry fly hatches, these two are as most different types of Hatch you can get.

So, the BIG question is.... what is your favorite hatch to fish...

"which ever one that is hatching is not a legitimate response"

Let the games begin.

Click the image to open in full size.

Mike
Hand Woven Furled Leaders
Site: http://www.cutthroatfurledleaders.com/
email. mike@cutthroatleader.com
Blog: http://furledleader.blogspot.com/
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 3 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes mcnerney, ejsell, trout trekker liked this post
Old 04-21-2017, 01:08 AM

kayo has much to be proud ofkayo has much to be proud ofkayo has much to be proud ofkayo has much to be proud ofkayo has much to be proud ofkayo has much to be proud ofkayo has much to be proud ofkayo has much to be proud of
Default Re: Your favorite Hatch..

The caddisfly hatch on the south fork of the Boise
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 4 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Old 04-21-2017, 05:18 AM

slowdown is a splendid one to beholdslowdown is a splendid one to beholdslowdown is a splendid one to beholdslowdown is a splendid one to beholdslowdown is a splendid one to beholdslowdown is a splendid one to behold

I do love the Salmonflies on the Colorado, and I do love the Caddis on the Arkansas however, favorite hatch to me is the one that I hit on a variety of rivers so it would be:

Pale Morning Dun

That hatch has counted for some of my biggest fish on dries and the most consistent fishing on dries from nymph to spinner phase on multiple rivers in multiple states for a long time. I love seeing those bugs - the 14's down to the 22's.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 6 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Old 04-21-2017, 05:24 AM

Walter1023 has much to be proud ofWalter1023 has much to be proud ofWalter1023 has much to be proud ofWalter1023 has much to be proud ofWalter1023 has much to be proud ofWalter1023 has much to be proud ofWalter1023 has much to be proud ofWalter1023 has much to be proud of

The legendary Green Drake Hatch of the Beaverkill River.........because I have never witnessed it or been there at the right time.........so I only anticipate hitting it one day. The biggest Trout in the River eating size 8 Drakes ???? I think I can live with that if it ever happens for me (probably when I'm retired).
"However, I must warn all beginners that the dry-fly game is an insidious one. It creeps upon you unawares, and unless you fight the tendency you will eventually fish in no other way." Ray Bergman, TROUT 1938
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes CutThroat Leaders, mcnerney liked this post
Old 04-21-2017, 08:17 AM
Your favorite Hatch..

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Hendricksons.... a hatch that should begin any day now.
Very civilized.
There's no reason to rush around or get up before breakfast as they come off like clockwork precisely at 1:30 pm
Pick your pool and sit back on the river bank. Observe some nature and wait for the rise

In the salt... silversides
On the night high tide of the full moon of June, these minnows spawn in the cord grass with their milt turning the water white.
As the tide turns, that milt calls in every fish around.
It's not at all civilized.
It's a free-for-all with big fish blasting through the grass beds devouring the unlucky amorous.
Cast like mad as it's short lived. The tide will soon be too low to hold fish.
Old 04-21-2017, 08:54 AM

planettrout has a brilliant futureplanettrout has a brilliant futureplanettrout has a brilliant futureplanettrout has a brilliant futureplanettrout has a brilliant futureplanettrout has a brilliant futureplanettrout has a brilliant futureplanettrout has a brilliant futureplanettrout has a brilliant futureplanettrout has a brilliant futureplanettrout has a brilliant future

These guys...

...and this book explains why...

PT/TB

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
Likes ejsell, smilingduck, jescowhite liked this post
Old 04-21-2017, 08:56 AM

sweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond repute

Of course I like them all but as already said above; Hendricksons in the East, I hope beginning next week, and the wide spread, long lasting PMD's (a cousin of the Hendo) in the West.

I will add though that big Drake spinners, aerial dancing and falling at dusk, are very exciting. Rig up the 6-weight with a tippet no lighter than 3X!
Old 04-21-2017, 09:08 AM

ejsell has a brilliant futureejsell has a brilliant futureejsell has a brilliant futureejsell has a brilliant futureejsell has a brilliant futureejsell has a brilliant futureejsell has a brilliant futureejsell has a brilliant futureejsell has a brilliant futureejsell has a brilliant futureejsell has a brilliant future

The Lake Erie/ Ohio Mayfly hatch is incredible to see. Its never translated well for me river fishing but I can sit at my local reservoir for about an hour at dusk catching whitebass on every cast. I've only been on a trout stream once when a minor hatch was going on and for about 15 minutes in a 100 ft section of river I had blast. I'd love to see the hatches you guys talk about.

https://youtu.be/cIa7QA-fKk0

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 04-21-2017, 09:21 AM

lightline is a glorious beacon of lightlightline is a glorious beacon of lightlightline is a glorious beacon of lightlightline is a glorious beacon of lightlightline is a glorious beacon of lightlightline is a glorious beacon of light

PMD's. Just big enough to see well, but not too bulky for the 3 or 4 wt. and 5x-6x. Spinners can fall morning and evening. Sometimes even during the emergence. All stages are easily matched, especially with my favorite feather, CDC. There's lots of cripples. And mostly, because this hatch is never ignored like some other hatches. The trout always rise for some stage of the PMD when its on the water. It always brings up steady risers. They're not random risers like you often get with the big drakes, caddis, or stoneflies. The water boils with noses. Trout love them, and so do I.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 4 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Old 04-21-2017, 09:39 AM

Bigfly has a reputation beyond reputeBigfly has a reputation beyond reputeBigfly has a reputation beyond reputeBigfly has a reputation beyond reputeBigfly has a reputation beyond reputeBigfly has a reputation beyond reputeBigfly has a reputation beyond reputeBigfly has a reputation beyond reputeBigfly has a reputation beyond reputeBigfly has a reputation beyond reputeBigfly has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly

Skwallas!

After a Winter of eating stuff the size of a comma, a double cheese burger arrives!!
They just ended.....so we wait for another year.......

Jim

Bigfly
Likes smilingduck, slowdown, udiablo liked this post