Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Let's see your hat

I am in the market to get a new fishing hat. right now I just wear an old baseball cap, but would like to get a more western or cowboy looking hat. give me some ideas by showing me what you wear out on the water.

2. Default Re: Let's see your hat

Here are a couple of my favorite hat in action.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Let's see your hat

Here is a good discussion on what hats are worn fly fishing you might be interested in: What kind of hat do you wear?
    Here is what I normally wear while fishing:
    Rain Hats For Men / Jefferson River Hat -- Orvis

Larry

I like fly fishing. I like cycling. As a result, I wear a cycling cap with a tartan pattern that kinda sorta looks like it could be used for fishing. Here's a gander:

Cheers!
    Michael

I wear an "Up-Downer"

...like Lefty's

The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements. --- Horace Kephart

Blog Entries

For most of my years I've been of a ballcap persuasion. I have a local fly shop that I support and they support me. I've been invited by them for the past several years to spend a few hours during the winter in a tying demo, so I appreciate their support and to show it I usually wear their hats for photos and such, so I've become used to wearing a ballcap with their logo.

When there's weather I make sure to wear my Gore-Tex PacLite jacket which has a hood that accomodates ballcaps, but not other types of hats, so I stick with the ballcap.

I do have a fedora style that I like to wear from time-to-time, yet I still prefer the ballcaps.

Here are a few examples:

A couple of years ago in Alaska - my Jimmy's All Season Angler cap:

On the Henry's Fork, again Jimmy's hat:

Trip to the Big Horn this past spring with LaMoyne Hyde of Hyde driftboats, again my Jimmy's hat:

Immediately upon our return from the Big Horn LaMoyne gave me a new hat!:

Just 30-seconds after this picture was taken, my friend, Bob Jacklin drove up to check out the water. I was glad to be wearing his logo hat at the time!

Every now and again I'll fall back to my old fedora for a good day's fishing:

There has been a lot of discussion over the years as to what hats are best or better and why. I go with what's most comfortable. Since losing most of my hair over the years there is one thing that I'm never without when outdoors, and that's a hat. Not because I don't have any hair up there, but because I don't like getting blistering sunburns on my noggin!

Kelly.
    I fish, therefore I am - but I gotta go to work first..."piscari ergo sum"

You mentioned western style. The one that I think is a great cross-over between a fedora and cowboy style is the Gun Club collection (need to google it). I've seen that style from 47-165.

Once you've had skin cancer removed from your ears &/or back of your neck, you'll shy away from the baseball caps and go with a brimmed hat. Another advantage of the brimmed hat is that it helps protect your ears, etc. from an errant fly. My favorite is a Cabela's River Guide Canvas Breezer Hat. It has a mesh crown for breathability in the hot climates I normally fly-fish in, and it has both a chin strap and back-of-the-head strap for windy conditions (although you can't see both in the image below). I've never lost it in the wind, and it stays comfortable on even a hot day. While they claim it's foldable and packable, I've never tried to do either.
    Last edited by Fly2Fish; 08-19-2010 at 11:11 PM.
    On the whole, I'd rather be in Wyoming . . .
    Fly2:

9. Default Re: Let's see your hat

Quote Originally Posted by Fly2Fish View Post
    Once you've had skin cancer removed from your ears &/or back of your neck, you'll shy away from the baseball caps and go with a brimmed hat. Another advantage of the brimmed hat is that it helps protect your ears, etc. from an errant fly. My favorite is a Cabela's River Guide Canvas Breezer Hat. It has a mesh crown for breathability in the hot climates I normally fly-fish in, and it has both a chin strap and back-of-the-head strap for windy conditions (although you can't see both in the image below). I've never lost it in the wind, and it stays comfortable on even a hot day. While they claim its foldable and packable, I've never tried to do either.
    nice cap, i like it

Just like in the Face to the name post. BB cap and/or a Buffs.

Life is not like a bowl of cherries. It's more like a jar of ghost peppers. What you eat today might burn your ass tomorrow...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast