Leader

315jessie

Reaction score
Does anyone here happen to have a link to a informative video on how to tie a leader

I'm using the line that was pre spooled on the redington
And it looks like it was tied the same way one would tie a hook on a spinning reel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CutThroat Leaders

Business Member
Reaction score
Not sure if you mean attaching a nylon tapered leader to a flyline without a loop.

I use a nail knot to attach a thread furled leader as well as a nylon tapered leader to my fly line. If using a thread furled leader, use only a three wrap nail knot. If attaching a tapered leader, use a 5 wrap knot.

Also, use super glue or zap a gap to cover the end of your fly line. If not, the core of the line will eventually absorb water and start to sink.

Hope the video helps.

Nail Knot | How to tie the Nail Knot | Fishing Knots

mjkirshner

Reaction score
Does anyone here happen to have a link to a informative video on how to tie a leader

I'm using the line that was pre spooled on the redington
And it looks like it was tied the same way one would tie a hook on a spinning reel

I prefer lines that have a welded loop, and then tie a perfection loop on the end of my leader. If the fly line does not have a loop, I like to tie a piece of mono to the end of the line with a nail knot, and then tie a perfection loop in the other end, so that I can change looped leaders without having to tie the nail knot every time.

Nail Knot | How to tie the Nail Knot | Fishing Knots

Perfection (Angler's) Loop | How to tie the Perfection Loop | Fishing Knots

You can also get a braided loop and put one on the end of the fly line, but I am not a big fan of them. I prefer the mono nail knot/perfection loop.

Last edited:

315jessie

Reaction score
Yes sorry .... attaching the leader to the fly line that don't have the welded loop in it
I wish it did have the loop

pnc

Reaction score
Cut very end of line at angle. Fold back to loop size wanted. Whip.finish. Glue.
If over time threads start to loosen. Cut off , do again.

Braided loops are available that slip over fly line.

...... pc

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
Cut very end of line at angle. Fold back to loop size wanted. Whip.finish. Glue.
If over time threads start to loosen. Cut off , do again.

Braided loops are available that slip over fly line.

...... pc
I've not been a fan of these ... a good hook up on a rock/wood and I've had a couple of these just 'come off.' Your first above is how I approach the problem.

silver creek

Reaction score
I also always thought that water migrated into the end of a fly line until I met Leon Chandler, who spent 51 at Cortland Line Company and retired as Vice President. I met him on the Missouri River at Craig. He was spending an entire summer there in his camper, fishing from a personal watercraft.

Leon Chandler: a fly fishing gentleman and unassuming expert | Warwick Beacon

"Leon Chander and the Cortland Line Company - Fly Angler's Online - #219

I asked him about the water migrating into a fly line and he told me that Cortland did experiments, submerging fly line in water and found that there was very minimal water at the very end of the fly line core. It cannot sink the fly line.

I gave this some thought and concluded that for water to enter the core of a fly line it has to displace the air in the spaces between material comprising the woven core. Where does that air go? It cannot go escape since any water in the core would act as a plug keeping the air from leaking out. The air must stay in the core so any a small amount of water enters, the remaining air in the core keeps additional water from entering.

Can't the air migrate to the other end of the fly line attached to the backing and leak out? I suspect the knot tying the backing to the fly line compressed the fly line including the core prevents his. Plus for air to migrate, the water must be under some pressure to push the air through 90 feet of fly line, which it is not.

Secondly, for something entering the core of a fly line to cause it to sink, it must have a specific gravity greater than water. It must be heavier than water. Since water cannot be heavier than water, water cannot make floating fly line sink in water! Since the water does displaces a bit of air, it can make the fly line FLOAT LOWER but cannot sink the line.

Dirt and grime on the fly line coating makes it sink.

When a fly line develops cracks, the water does get into the core and since there are many cracks, the air can escape and be replaced by water. But in a fly line with no cracks, the air in the woven core prevents water from entering.

When the tip of a fly line starts to sink, it is not water in the fly line, it is dirt and loss of the hydrophobic coating.

”In normal use, even on clean water, microscopic particles of dirt and debris will adhere to the surface of a floating line, adding weight that may eventually overcome the natural buoyancy built into the line itself. Because it contains a thinner coating of the buoyant finishing material than does the larger diameter body, the tip section of a tapered line will begin sinking first - an indication that it should be cleaned.”

Take Care Of Your Fly Line - For Beginners - 101, FAOL

From the day I met Leon, I have never sealed the end of fly lines. However, I think most people do and do it if it gives you confidence. I do not and have not had a problem.

I use both the braided nylon loops connectors and also nail knotted Maxima Cameleon. Both work. I have not had a problem with the braided loops coming off. I throw away the plastic sleeve and use a whip finish and then coat with my flexible UV resin but thinned Aquaseal will also work. Salt water certainly needs a stronger connection but for trout, I think the braided loops are fine.

pnc

Reaction score
Silver, mentioned not using plastic sleeve for attaching braided loop. I whip finish end of loop on to fly line, and slide sleeve to connection. Over if possible.
Sleeves alone is a no no.
I stop using hollow braid for loop at end of fly lines years ago. Use it for splicing heads to running line. Make up my own lines. Connections do not come appart if mono braid is cinched down into softer fly line coating.
I fish almost exclusively is salt water. Have never had a problem with loop on fly line being whipped. Have had welded loops from manufacturers come appart. Way more faith in loop being whip finished. So much so I cut off welded loops.
RIO , makes braided loops for lines 3-6 & lines 7-12 (I cut off loops and use braid). Last time doing splice, did one of those tests to confirm method I use. Put braided loop on smaller line (loop still attached). Slid sleeve into place (thinking maybe something has changed since last time). Then pulled on loop. Slid right off !

........ pc