The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > >

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  30
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Old 05-17-2017, 08:55 AM

smp005 is a jewel in the roughsmp005 is a jewel in the roughsmp005 is a jewel in the roughsmp005 is a jewel in the rough
Default Dream Job!!!

Employment - Florida Keys Outfitters

I should retire today and move :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 6 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Old 05-17-2017, 10:38 PM

fenix84 is just really nicefenix84 is just really nicefenix84 is just really nicefenix84 is just really nice
Default Re: Dream Job!!!

I had a dream job before, after a year it turned into a normal job. I guess my interests changed, possibly due to it becoming my job.

After that experience I learned that a dream job for me will never exist. So the goal became working enough to support my hobbies but at the same time have enough time to pursue them.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 7 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Old 05-18-2017, 04:52 AM

dynaflow has a spectacular aura aboutdynaflow has a spectacular aura about

That's the very reason I'd never be a Guide...like they say "be careful what you wish for,you just might get it"
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 3 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes hairwing530, mcnerney, karstopo liked this post
Old 05-18-2017, 05:08 AM

trout trekker has much to be proud oftrout trekker has much to be proud oftrout trekker has much to be proud oftrout trekker has much to be proud oftrout trekker has much to be proud oftrout trekker has much to be proud oftrout trekker has much to be proud oftrout trekker has much to be proud oftrout trekker has much to be proud oftrout trekker has much to be proud of

Done that job, more than once.
Typical of fly shop want ads, a long list of responsibilities and complete ambiguity when it comes to compensation. Serious companies, recruiters and hiring managers post salary ranges and comps......saves a lot of time and false starts.

Dave
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 3 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes hairwing530, mcnerney, karstopo liked this post
Old 05-18-2017, 08:02 AM

old timer is a name known to allold timer is a name known to allold timer is a name known to allold timer is a name known to allold timer is a name known to allold timer is a name known to all

A dream job for one person is torture to another.

You couldn't pay me enough to live in Florida.

I need high mountains to be happy. I should have pursued a career as a warden in Colorado when I was young.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes mcnerney, slowdown liked this post
Old 05-18-2017, 09:35 AM

deepdeeppow is on a distinguished road

Awesome shop and The Keys are an amazing area to live in, but being a retail manager is not fishing.

"Job includes rigging, sales, inventory control, ordering, POS, social media, customer relations and digital marketing responsibilities."

My hell!
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes mcnerney liked this post
Old 05-18-2017, 09:57 AM

dakotakid is a splendid one to beholddakotakid is a splendid one to beholddakotakid is a splendid one to beholddakotakid is a splendid one to beholddakotakid is a splendid one to beholddakotakid is a splendid one to beholddakotakid is a splendid one to beholddakotakid is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepdeeppow View Post
Awesome shop and The Keys are an amazing area to live in, but being a retail manager is not fishing.

"Job includes rigging, sales, inventory control, ordering, POS, social media, customer relations and digital marketing responsibilities."

My hell!
Many years ago, we vacationed annually in Northern Wisconsin and found out that a friend of a friend owned a bar/restaurant on a lake we frequented. We visited that restaurant and talked to the transplant to see how he enjoyed living there.

Turns out he used to take fishing trips to that area once or twice a year and loved it. Decided to buy the business up there so he could "live the life". He surprised me when he said he now fishes less than when he just vacationed there. Living and working in an area is different than vacationing there.
Likes mcnerney liked this post
Old 05-18-2017, 10:14 AM

jgentile is a splendid one to beholdjgentile is a splendid one to beholdjgentile is a splendid one to beholdjgentile is a splendid one to beholdjgentile is a splendid one to beholdjgentile is a splendid one to beholdjgentile is a splendid one to behold

I need to work on my Bimini Twist quick.
Likes trout trekker liked this post
Old 05-18-2017, 10:17 AM

old timer is a name known to allold timer is a name known to allold timer is a name known to allold timer is a name known to allold timer is a name known to allold timer is a name known to all

That's how it works. As a youngster I was a hot rodder. I loved cars and thought fixing them for a living would be great. So, that's what I did for about 20 years as a dealer mechanic. I started to hate it after a few years, but was committed.

Finally, I couldn't stand it any longer and went to truck driving school. I drove a truck the rest of my working days. About 20years. I never got tired of it, but I know I would have been happier as a warden.
Likes dakotakid liked this post
Old 05-18-2017, 10:38 AM

smp005 is a jewel in the roughsmp005 is a jewel in the roughsmp005 is a jewel in the roughsmp005 is a jewel in the rough

I would only do it as a retirement job.. I like hanging out in Fly shops and can't fish 7 days a week LOL! The money would not be important - more just something to keep me busy..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes mcnerney, dakotakid liked this post