Tie a few trout flies for Romanian kids Update

jpbfly

Super Moderator
Reaction score
A friend of mine who's a flyfishing guide in Romania is organizing a fishing summer camp for kids with some other volontary guides.He started collecting gear(rods,reels,lines etc....)he also needs an assortment of 20 flies for each kid.I'm going to tie one and send some money.
If some here feel like helping a good cause,make kids happy and tie flies or nymphs....it would be great:)
Let me know,I think Larry will help me to get all the flies and ship them to me.
Thanks for your help;)
They'll use trout flies....so any classic patterns such as Adams or Pheasant tail will be fine.

Last edited:

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Re: Tie a few flies for Romanian kids

JP

Sounds good, if anyone wants to donate some flies or other gear, you can send them to me and I will consolidate everything and send to JP in France.
I'll also tie up some flies for the kids.

dennyk

Reaction score

Larry, will these be used for trout or panfish? Would foam spiders or similar patterns work?

Denny

nevadanstig

Reaction score

Yep, let me know what species these are for, and ill try to do what i can.

Sent from my SM-T237P using Tapatalk

mjkirshner

Reaction score
All around,all purpose trout flies for example Adams, any Wulff...Pheasant tails etc...
Thanks in advance.
I will try but can't promise anything. I usually tie saltwater or LMB flies. Not much experience with trout flies. Maybe I will send along a few Woolly Buggers. I think I did tie some Pheasant Tails once that turned out okay.

Just promise not to laugh when you see them...:eek:

mjkirshner

Reaction score
So I tied up four pheasant tails, two bead-head on jig hooks and two on streamer hooks (no bead). They don't look exactly like the pheasant tails on Youtube, but I have caught fish on worse-looking flies. At least the kids will have something to throw, and maybe they'll find a trout with poor eyesight. Since I normally tie baitfish patterns on#2 saltwater hooks, after tying these on #12 streamer and nymph hooks, I think my eyes are still crossed. :icon_eek:

I think I may have some old 5-wt fly line that I can send along too. It came with a used reel that I bought and was too good to throw out, so I hung onto it in case anyone ever needed it. This seems like a worthwhile use for it. And I will throw in some other flies that I tied as experiments and have no name but may still catch fish.

Now, where do I send this stuff?

---------- Post added at 01:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:03 PM ----------

JP

Sounds good, if anyone wants to donate some flies or other gear, you can send them to me and I will consolidate everything and send to JP in France.
I'll also tie up some flies for the kids.
Address to send to?

jpbfly

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks to those who are going to help....very kind:thumbsupu
Larry Mc Nerney will collect the flies and ship them to me.
Pic taken last year....how to make kids happy:)

spm

Reaction score
jp,
Are you asking for us to tie 20 of one fly, or 20 flies of assorted patterns? How many kids are involved? Your request had some specifics and, I know, you'll be grateful for whatever you can get. I'm just trying to clarify how we can best help. Would a box of Jerry's flies be better?

Thanks,
steve

Edit: Never mind, jp. I went back and reread other responses and came up with my own answer. I haven't been at the vise lately, so I went through my inventory and pulled out about 3 doz assorted flies. My tying skills are mediocre, so if you're lucky, some of Jerry's flies may be in there. I hope these will work for you. I also added a couple fly boxes, some leaders, a lanyard, and a vest that hasn't been worn in years. I'm pretty sure it's been laundered. At least, it doesn't smell, but then I've had a cold this past week. lol I'll get everything to Larry.

s.

Last edited:

pnc

Reaction score
Is there a date set for shipping ? Have not tied trout flies for a long time. But I know there's a bunch someplace around here.

Main reason for joining Suncoast Fly Fishers club was to help kids. Club holds weekly casting & tying lessons. Free for kids or anyone. Club meets again in 2 wks. I could have this brought up at meeting. But would needed to be able.to.pass along shipping address if any are intrested.
If this is ok timewise !

....... pc

jpbfly

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks alot to those who helped:thmbup::thmbup:....I've already shipped a package today with boxes and flies from my french friends....Larry will send yours:)

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
jpbfly and larry,

If it involves kids and fly fishing, you can sign me up for some "bugs" as well. Larry, what's my timeline to get some flies in your hands before the shipment? Just let me know, old friend...

Jerry, aka hairwing530
Jerry
I'm looking to get these shipped by the end of next week, if that works for you.