Airflo air lock indicator bobber

wthorpe

Reaction score
Yes. They hold even thinner tippet. Unlike Thingamabobbers they dont crimp the leader. BUT, they do use those small screw-on pieces, and it is inevitable that one will drop one of the screw-ons in the water, grass, gravel, whatever, especially if trying to affix it with cold fingers and fish urgently begging to be caught.

bloomagoo

Reaction score
Yes. They hold even thinner tippet. Unlike Thingamabobbers they dont crimp the leader. BUT, they do use those small screw-on pieces, and it is inevitable that one will drop one of the screw-ons in the water, grass, gravel, whatever, especially if trying to affix it with cold fingers and fish urgently begging to be caught.
+1

My thoughts too, though many folks like them. I'm still a Thingamabobber guy.

wthorpe

Reaction score
I should have mentioned in my previous post: the air lock bobbers come with a couple extra screw-ons in the package. That, then, begs the question: where did you leave those extras when you drop one in the water! BUT, i prefer the little screw-ons to the leader getting crimped. Aint nothing perfect.

Sage & Abel

Reaction score
I love 'em. But I wish I could buy some of the screw on tops. I have a bunch of them just sitting around because I dropped the top in the river... They're not cheap either.

myt1

Reaction score
I made the switch from thingamabobbers to air lock indicators and never looked backed. I think they are the best indicators going.

The biggest advantage to me is the ability to very easily adjust the height of the indicator along the length of the leader.

All you have to do is loosen the plastic nut and then move the indicator in the direction you desire. It isn't necessary to remove the nut completely to make the adjustment.

I always had a hard time adjusting the height of a thingamabobber.'

Also, if you happen to get your tippet tangled around an air lock, you can simple remove it, untangle your line, then re-attach air lock.

I carry a small plastic container that holds several indicators and an extra screw cap in my vest.

nimblybimbly85

Reaction score
Do the bright colors spool trout?

I saw a review with the ability to run the leader through a hole in the screw nut making a near 90 degree drop.

Any of you run it that way or just through the slot flat?

corn fed fins

Reaction score
Do the bright colors spool trout?
"spook"?

Any indicator has the possibility to spook fish, just like your fly line. IMO, the larger the surface distortion the greater the chance of spooking and yes, color can spook a fish. Whether or not fish in your waters will be spooked I have no idea, but I can tell you that on high pressure tailwaters here in CO. indicators are a handicap more often than not. When I use an indicator it's an unpainted or half white painted CorQs. (Late evening I switch to a half blz orange)

"Big animals don't get big by being stupid" is what my dad taught me.lol

nevadanstig

Reaction score
I also ditched thingamabobbers for airlocks.
As far as bright colors, you can buy them in black and/or white. They may spook some, but ive also had trout hit the brighter colored indicators as well.

Sent from my SM-T237P using Tapatalk

wthorpe

Reaction score
Air Locks and Thingas are both apt to spook fish in shallow, slow, clear, etc. settings. Let's face it, they plop on the water with a bit of splash no matter how carefully you cast them. So, in my view, this type indicator is most useful in settings with some current sufficient to mask the landing of the bobber. I use both a good bit, preferably the Air Locks when i dont lose the little screw on caps.

i have been fishing nearly 20 years, and only in the last six months, started trying to fish a big dry like a Chubby Chernobyl with two nymphs. This has been far more successful -- and much easier to cast and less likely to tangle -- than i expected. i have even done it with a heavy Rubber Legs dropped maybe 4 to 5 feet with a smaller nymph a foot or so below the RL. The Chubby seems less likely to spook fish when landing than a big ol' plastic bobber, and hence its appeal. On the other hand, a RL plus another nymph hardly make for a totally stealthy approach as they tend to "plop" a bit also.
(I think some places may limit fishers to two fiies, so think about that before you do use 3, get cited, and blame me for it!)

ryc72

Reaction score
For every few fish an airlock spooks I think there are a couple that the indicator excites or intrigues. Past couple of trips I've had multiple fish each day come up and take my airlock. Out of instinct I set the hook and my top nymph would catch on the mouth and it was fish on. I guess that's how bead fishing is supposed to work. Makes me want to put a hook on my airlock the next trip.

ottosmagic13

Reaction score
I use the "improved" thingamabobbers (the ones with the built on peg)

I find that they don't crimp the leader as much because you can use the peg to stop the TMB from sliding rather than requiring that sharp angled loop.

With spooky fish I usually go over to NZ yarn indicators because it's the initial splash down that spooks fish rather than the drifting bobber but I prefer the 100% buoyancy of the TMB 90% of the time.

pho_phizzat

Reaction score
When the airlocks first came out I ordered 5 or 6 bags of them and gave them out to my friends thinking they were the coolest thing since sliced bread.

But after using them for a few years I ended up packing and using both types, I tend to use them both at different times but not so much interchangeably.

If I am trying to figure out where the fish are it is handy to use the airlock to be able to make quicker adjustments.

I do however notice that when I am doing a lot a tension casts in the wind that my tippet tends to catch the gap between the cap and bobber with the airlocks. Seems to slide over the thingamabobbers when it happens with them.

If there is lots of vegetation I like to use the thingamabobbers as they don't seem to slide as bad when doing the rinse cycle.

In the winter when it's -5 about I always go with thingamabobbers, the airlocks are a pain in the butt once the cap freezes to the top.

Come to think of it I'd say that I use the thingamabobobers 5 times to every one time of the airlocks.

Both are great tools in the bag and I see a use for both. Hence why I carry both.

MarsB

Reaction score
Our local shop had a big jar and does sell them individually. What I haven't found is a source for spare screw nuts, online or otherwise. Anybody know a source?

brownbass

Reaction score
Airlocks cost a lot more than Thingamabobs and I tend to lose them at about the same rate so I think I will keep with the Thingamabobs and NZ Indicators.

\Bill