Alkaline Lakes and Cracked Skin

michaeln

Reaction score
I can't be the only one this happens to. When I spend the day fishing on an alkaline lake (which most of my favorite trout lakes are, shallow and weedy with lots of fish food), the skin on my hands gets so dried out it actually cracks.

I have had deep cracks in the skin and flesh form at the corners of my thumbnails and under my nails where the skin meets the nails. After the fishing day is over I usually apply some medicated hand lotion and after a few days the cracking goes away and all is healed.

Does this happen to anyone else but me?

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I have not had this problem but my rudimentary background in chemistry tells me that if I had this problem I would buy a small bottle of shampoo having a fairly high Ph. When leaving the water for the day or for a break I would apply a small amount to the hands paying special attention to areas where I have the most trouble and then rinse them after a few minutes. I'm sure you get the idea behind this suggestion. Many products have the Ph listed on the container or you can stop into a salon and ask someone for a acidic rinse or shampoo.

You could also try your hand (no pun intended) at compounding and create your own high Ph lotion by adding a tad of vinegar to a pre compounded product but you may get some undesirable results such as the compound separating due to the influx of an acidic solution. First choice would be the beauty products, second would be mixing small batches on my own to see what will hold together and create a non greasy hand balm. Since you have found that the medicated cream you are using relives the dry cracking skin in a few days you have a source of treatment, what I am suggesting is a mitigation treatment.

That's the best I can do but if this were my problem I would give them a go.

Ard

michaeln

Reaction score
Thanks Ard

One person suggested that I do what he does, and that is coat the areas that tend to crack with superglue. That seals the area and stops the cracking.

I'd love to hear more suggestions from anyone who has suffered from this and has a proven solution.

I guess I could rub cut limes on my fingers too... ;-)

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi michaeln,

I wonder how you could apply super glue with out getting everything stuck together. It would be hard to cast with a finger glued to the back of your hand.:)

I think you need to use something that applies a coating to the area. Some of the Sun Blocks use Titanium Dioxide as the active ingredient. It forms a thing coating on top of the skin that blocks sun rays. It also blocks water and it will run off of the surface. You would have to apply it several times a day but It may be a solution.

Then there is Baktolan that is made for the purpose of protecting the hands from solvents. If you go to the WEB page look at the specifications and it tells you all about it.

Frank

milt spawn

Reaction score
happens to me all the time, especially when catching larger brookies and cutts, they have all those basibranchial teeth. you might check out rockclimber websites to see what they use, that's where the superglue idea originated.

Vans

Reaction score
Thanks Ard

One person suggested that I do what he does, and that is coat the areas that tend to crack with superglue. That seals the area and stops the cracking.
I do this and it does work. I get fissures on my fingers mainly because of my work and when one starts, i apply some super glue and it works great. Heals up real fast.

von behr

Reaction score
Hi michaeln,

I wonder how you could apply super glue with out getting everything stuck together. It would be hard to cast with a finger glued to the back of your hand.:)

Frank
Frank,

Since it takes just seconds to dry, you try not to touch anything while the glue is wet. Once it dries, it's like a second skin.

Some bank robbers use super glue instead of gloves so they won't leave fingerprints. There are also many legitimate uses, such as sealing cuts in lieu of suturing.

-VB :icon_cool

Jimmie

Reaction score
This is one for after they are cracked. We always used Johnson's Waterproof Tape. I'd always get a wide roll (tears easily down the center), and it was like having two rolls. I'd just wrap the crack, callous, tender spot each day and take it off at night. It would usually heal fast. TW (pga)used to use the same tape.

Rip Tide

Reaction score
Try fishin' in the North Atlantic :D
I'm a superglue guy myself followed by duct tape to prevent further damage
after that, olive oil on the lips and Bag Balm on the hands and face