Came across a nice person

smallieman

Reaction score
So one of my clients knew I was into fly fishing and gave me a rod reel combo.

The rod is a Scierra IC3 4pc 8wt and the reel is a Cabela Deschutes III Fly Fishing Reel

I know its a few years old but what are your thoughs or who are the real makers of these items. I know Cabelas doesnt make their reels is says made in England on it and is in perfect shape. The rod has the plastic on the cork still and is also in amazing shape. I just want to know if this will suite me for steelhead fishing this year in WI or should I venture to another set up.

Thanks in advance

wjc

Reaction score
I don't know anything about either one of them. I'd just cast it and see how it handles. I would think an 8 would be plenty sufficient for steelhead - I've only caught 2 of them and 2 kings in Pulaski years ago and an eight was plenty for them there.

Cheers,
Jim

jasalvas

Reaction score
The rod will have no problem holding a Steelhead. The only thing to worry about with the reel is how smooth it is. If a large Steele runs if your fishing some thin tippet, a jerky reel could loose you a nice fish. Just keep it clean. But all in all, an 8wt setup is perfect for fishing Steele, and hell, nothing beats free!!

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Smallie,

I fish from a 6'3" 5 wt to a 13' 8wt for steelhead here. An 8 weight rod will be fine. Is it a 9' rod? When it comes to tippet size if you read my posts you know I don't fish light lines for heavy fish. If you are going to fish for steelhead with a 4 - 6 lb tippet a 5 weight rod will be fine. Think about it..............unless you are going to use a 12 pound level fluorocarbon leader why would you need a heavy rod?

I use a seven weight here for silvers and a 20 lb leader. The rod will haul in fish from 9 - 23 pounds with ease so you are all set.