Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  163
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Default Orvis strikes again

Some may remember my post from 2015 of breaking my Orvis Clearwater rod and Orvis' customer service. I traded up to the Helios2 with tip flex. After two years, I just could not make friends with that rod. I'm sure it was my casting ability rather than the rod. Thinking I should have opted for the mid flex, I went into an Orvis store in Carmel, IN.

I walked in and a gentleman asked if he could help. I explained my purpose for the visit, and he immediately rigged a mid-flex and took me out to the parking lot, where I began casting. While doing so, I related my story and he told me to bring in my old rod and he would swap it with the mid-flex. I reminded him the rod was two years old, but he said it didn’t matter. I told him I was pretty sure it was pilot error. He still said it didn’t matter. First problem; I don’t live in Carmel. Not a problem, he says, just mail it and we will send you the new rod. Okay, second problem; I won’t be home until Saturday July 1, and am leaving for Colorado on Saturday July 8. Realizing, even with express shipping, the holiday might interfere with my getting the rod in time, Ben goes to the stockroom, and comes out with the rod tube and a shipping container. He says “You’re taking your rod with you today”. He printed a mailing label, affixed it to the container and handed me my new rod and the container for my old rod and says “Have a great trip to Colorado”. How can you not love a company like that!?

Lots of companies offer quality merchandise, some better than Orvis, but how many offer this kind of customer service, these days? This is why I'm an Orvis guy.

Thanks,
    steve
    "As no man is born an artist, so no man is born an angler" ...Izaak Walton

"Nothing is as bad as something that is not so bad"...Sr. Percival Blakeney, aka The Scarlet Pimpernel

Default Re: Orvis strikes again

Wow, beyond impressed, so how's the rod?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

3. Likes hairwing530, spm, Ard liked this post
    smcnearn Guest

Customer service at Orvis is fantastic. Certainly not the first time Iv heard of them going above and beyond.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

beside the AuSable River in northern Michigan

Year in and year out, the Customer Service departments at Orvis always have been top-notch in my book. And, on more occasions than I can count, they've strived to go beyond merely "good" CS, instead always finding a way to go the extra mile that elevates theirs to "great customer service."

Therein lies just one of the reasons why there are a number of rod tubes, reel cases, fly vests and the like dotting the in-house landscape here at our place. The Orvis Company is as solid as they come...

Jerry, aka hairwing530

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by vpsihop1 View Post
    Wow, beyond impressed, so how's the rod?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
    Just got home. Haven't had time to lawn-cast, yet.

s.

---------- Post added at 12:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:40 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by smcnearn View Post
    Customer service at Orvis is fantastic. Certainly not the first time Iv heard of them going above and beyond.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Not the first time for me, either. Still floors me when it happens to me.

s.

---------- Post added at 12:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:42 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by hairwing530 View Post
    Year in and year out, the Customer Service departments at Orvis always have been top-notch in my book. And, on more occasions than I can count, they've strived to go beyond merely "good" CS, instead always finding a way to go the extra mile that elevates theirs to "great customer service."

Therein lies just one of the reasons why there are a number of rod tubes, reel cases, fly vests and the like dotting the in-house landscape here at our place. The Orvis Company is as solid as they come...

Jerry, aka hairwing530
    I know you are a long time fan, Jerry. Most of my rod tubes also say Orvis.

s.

"Nothing is as bad as something that is not so bad"...Sr. Percival Blakeney, aka The Scarlet Pimpernel

7. Likes hairwing530 liked this post

I agree 100%. All of my rods are Orvis of which even the recent purchases are only 1995-2000 series rods. Currently I have only one reel that is not an Orvis. Frankly they work for me, so I have seen little reason to change (though should be more willing to try others and would likely be thrilled). However, their customer service has been absolutely incredible for me be it on a corporate level right down to the retail stores.

That makes it very difficult to want to go elsewhere.

B.E.F.

-To conserve and protect our sporting outdoor heritage
    ----through responsible wildlife and natural resource
    ---------stewardship, and educated ethical use.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GrtLksMarlin View Post
    I agree 100%. All of my rods are Orvis of which even the recent purchases are only 1995-2000 series rods. Currently I have only one reel that is not an Orvis. Frankly they work for me, so I have seen little reason to change (though should be more willing to try others and would likely be thrilled). However, their customer service has been absolutely incredible for me be it on a corporate level right down to the retail stores.

That makes it very difficult to want to go elsewhere.

B.E.F.
    Couldn't have said it better, myself. Most of my rods are also 1990s era.

s.

10. Likes hairwing530, Joey Bagels liked this post

Orvis has fantastic customer service. I have also had similar experiences with Patagonia. So when I am thinking about a piece of gear, those are the first two places I look. And I tend to not look too much further judging by my closets. Cheaper to buy a well made item once than to have to replace junk again and again. And knowing that the firm will stand behind the product means I can be comfortable making an investment in quality gear.

Since both firms have been operating this way for years, my bet is the customer loyalty that they get out of it pays for the customer service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

12. Likes spm, hairwing530, fredaevans, JDR, N/A, badgermatt liked this post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by edreilly View Post
    Orvis has fantastic customer service. I have also had similar experiences with Patagonia. So when I am thinking about a piece of gear, those are the first two places I look. And I tend to not look too much further judging by my closets. Cheaper to buy a well made item once than to have to replace junk again and again. And knowing that the firm will stand behind the product means I can be comfortable making an investment in quality gear.

Since both firms have been operating this way for years, my bet is the customer loyalty that they get out of it pays for the customer service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Absolutely correct, ed.

s.

14. Likes hairwing530 liked this post
    White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone

Thumbs up Re: Orvis strikes again

"Charles F. Orvis opened a tackle shop in Manchester, Vermont, in 1856."

"Since both firms have been operating this way for years, my bet is the customer loyalty that they get out of it pays for the customer service."

The customer may not always be 'right' but if a 'happy camper' he/she will tell a 100 people. They will tell another 100 ....

To be this long in business you have to be darned good.

Edit: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orvis

fae
    When wealth is lost, nothing is lost; when health is lost, something is lost; when character is lost, all is lost. - Billy Graham"

16. Likes spm, hairwing530 liked this post
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast