Support Your Local Fly Shop

spm

Reaction score
Good video, Larry. My local fly shop closed down ten years ago. But every time I go to new water, I stop in a local shop to visit, and learn about the local water and current conditions, and of course buy a few flies or a cap or something, and thank them for their help when I leave.

Thanks,
steve

dennyk

Reaction score
My local fly shop is Nomad Anglers in Grand Rapids, ALWAYS get good advice in how to's and matching up equipment. If they don't have a particular item I'm looking for I'd much rather let them order it and wait, verses going to one of the chain stores. Nothing against the chain stores, I'd just rather support the "little" guy.

Thanks for the video Larry!

Denny

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Good video, Larry. My local fly shop closed down ten years ago. But every time I go to new water, I stop in a local shop to visit, and learn about the local water and current conditions, and of course buy a few flies or a cap or something, and thank them for their help when I leave.

Thanks,
steve

Steve: Amen to that! I must have 2000 flies, been tying since the early 80's, but I always do exactly what you described above and I always have gotten really good advice and never have regretted supporting a local fly shop.

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone

Thanks,
steve
Old times, better times?

Old Guide's ...

Me too!:thumbsup: Hour before sun up, place to meet. Guide was waiting for me. Grand Day's, didn't hook a single fish, didn't care.

Float included a beach side BBQ, a nap time included.

Doubt 'new guides' now give a xhit. All about $$$?

fae

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Fred
Your probably right in a lot of cases, but there are still some mighty fine guides out there, you just have to let them know up front what your priorities or goals are for that day.

banjominnow

Reaction score
I've been on several fishing trips hosted by my local fly shop. Not just that, I'm starting to develop a real relationship with some of the guys at the shop (they slide on the sales tax). It's getting to the point where I'm starting to feel super guilty if I don't buy from the shop. I try to shop there as much as I can.

corn fed fins

Reaction score
I attempt to support any locally owned business. I always stop buy shops, even if not fishing and just in the area. Shoot the breeze and buy something. I'm always out of something. lol

A story my local shop owner told me he did this:

So, a couple of guys came in and asked some questions about the local fisheries and where to go, what to fish, etc. (Carl loves talking fish) Hour later he said they put some tippet, leaders, and flies on the counter. So Carl said he rings them up. "XXXX dollars", Carl says. Guy stands there for a second and then says "This would have costed 60% of that on the internet."
Carl replied "Ok. 60% it is."
Guy smiled thinking Carl is BS'ing him but Carl said he pulled out the calculator and proceeded to redo the total to 60%.
"XXXX dollars guys" Carl said.
Guy replied, "Oh, you didn't have to do that. I was just saying."
"Not a problem." as Carl started to put the stuff in a bag and waited for the card to clear.
"Just a signature", Carl said. Guy signed the receipt and before he can grab the bag Carl said he took it and put it under the counter then told them, "You can pick this up in 5-6 business days or pay XXXXX (the 40% he discounted) to get it expressed shipped and available right now." True? I don't know but knowing this guy I believe every word. He said he gave them their stuff for 60% but just wanted to prove a point. IDK. Funny though.

bluechipfish

Reaction score
Reading through this forum has definitely taught me that. The best thing I can do besides put time in the water is go support a shop and try to pick up some intel while I'm there.

That story above is classic, and very poor form on the customers part.

tcorfey

Reaction score
I agree with all of this and when a shop is available where I am traveling I try to stop in and buy a few things and ask a few questions. Many times the water or location where I am headed is not a place where a lot of people go and they will share that and some historical info if they have it. If they say no ones been there for awhile I will report back to them what I found. The shops are usually grateful for that info also.

The last four rods I purchased were two from the Pleasanton fly show and two from a shop where I fish a lot (although the shop and the fishing is four hours away from me).

Regards,

Tim C.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
There are now only 3 privately owned fly shops in this area, two are in Anchorage and one in Wasilla. I'm known in all three although I only stop in a couple times a year. All three shops have been very good to me and I always leave with tying materials or flies whether I need them or not :) The Sportsman's Warehouse in Wasilla has many things I need for camps and cabin use. I deal mostly with the people at customer service because I have an account with them and they provide a friendly atmosphere for me there also. In a small town like Wasilla I consider the employees at that store the same as the private business employees, they all need their jobs and I need all four of the businesses as options for my needs.

bluechipfish

Reaction score
That's a good point. That business is still contributing 100s of thousands to the local economy even though it's not an independent shop. This point is easy to lose sight of when we're painting chains and establishments with broad strokes.

myt1

Reaction score
I live in Phoenix, and it just isn't a hot bed for fly fishing.

I consider the San Juan to be my "home river" and it is nine hours away.

We have the big boxes, Cabela's, Bass Pro Shop, and Orvis, as well as one dedicated independent fly shop and one independent shop that caters more to bass fishing, but it does have a substantial fly fishing section.

Sadly, I just don't get that warm fuzzy feeling when I walk into those independent shops, even the fly fishing dedicated shop.

It is in an upscale shopping center, their merchandise is all the upper end high dollar stuff, and I might as well be in an Orivs shop, right down to the high fashion clothing...not sure if they sell dog beds though.

That being said, I go out of my way to visit "local shops" when on a fishing trip...the more seedy looking the better...and I always try to buy something.

Just as an aside, during a recent trip to Basalt, CO, I chose to visit the Taylor River fly shop over at least two other fly shops in town. They had an extremely up to date website with current fishing conditions which proved to be very accurate. Based on that I shopped at their store and they were extremely friendly and helpful. I also told them how much I liked their website and they were very appreciative and took it to heart.

spt2

Reaction score
I dread paying retail, but when I'm going to pay retail for anything, I'll make a point of purchasing it at a local fly shop, e.g. Trout Creek Flies in Dutch John. The Big Box stores like Cabelas are not local, they don't need my money, but the small mom-and-pop shops that are located at the places I actually fish can use every dime I send there way. Like most here, I'll stop in and ask for advice, and then I'll buy maybe $10 or $20 worth of flies, even if I don't need them, as a 'thank you' for the advice, and to do my part to help them stay in business.

pnc

Reaction score
Closest shop is 45 mins. East or south. Try to split between the two. Becoming to few and far between to not help or try.

....... pc