The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > >

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  60
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Old 07-16-2017, 12:48 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Support Your Local Fly Shop

Moldy chum posted this great video on the value of supporting your local fly shop:

Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 12 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Old 07-16-2017, 01:08 PM

spm has a reputation beyond reputespm has a reputation beyond reputespm has a reputation beyond reputespm has a reputation beyond reputespm has a reputation beyond reputespm has a reputation beyond reputespm has a reputation beyond reputespm has a reputation beyond reputespm has a reputation beyond reputespm has a reputation beyond reputespm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Support Your Local Fly Shop

Good video, Larry. My local fly shop closed down ten years ago. But every time I go to new water, I stop in a local shop to visit, and learn about the local water and current conditions, and of course buy a few flies or a cap or something, and thank them for their help when I leave.

Thanks,
steve
Old 07-16-2017, 02:05 PM

dennyk has a brilliant futuredennyk has a brilliant futuredennyk has a brilliant futuredennyk has a brilliant futuredennyk has a brilliant futuredennyk has a brilliant futuredennyk has a brilliant futuredennyk has a brilliant futuredennyk has a brilliant futuredennyk has a brilliant futuredennyk has a brilliant future

My local fly shop is Nomad Anglers in Grand Rapids, ALWAYS get good advice in how to's and matching up equipment. If they don't have a particular item I'm looking for I'd much rather let them order it and wait, verses going to one of the chain stores. Nothing against the chain stores, I'd just rather support the "little" guy.

Thanks for the video Larry!

Denny
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 6 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Old 07-16-2017, 02:11 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by spm View Post
Good video, Larry. My local fly shop closed down ten years ago. But every time I go to new water, I stop in a local shop to visit, and learn about the local water and current conditions, and of course buy a few flies or a cap or something, and thank them for their help when I leave.

Thanks,
steve

Steve: Amen to that! I must have 2000 flies, been tying since the early 80's, but I always do exactly what you described above and I always have gotten really good advice and never have regretted supporting a local fly shop.

Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 5 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes hairwing530, spm, dennyk, Ard, fredaevans liked this post
Old 07-16-2017, 03:13 PM
Support Your Local Fly Shop

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Unhappy Re: Support Your Local Fly Shop

Quote:
Originally Posted by spm View Post

Thanks,
steve
Old times, better times?

Old Guide's ...

Me too! Hour before sun up, place to meet. Guide was waiting for me. Grand Day's, didn't hook a single fish, didn't care.

Float included a beach side BBQ, a nap time included.

Doubt 'new guides' now give a xhit. All about $$$?

fae
Likes spm, mcnerney, Ard, hairwing530 liked this post
Old 07-16-2017, 06:36 PM
Administrator

Fred
Your probably right in a lot of cases, but there are still some mighty fine guides out there, you just have to let them know up front what your priorities or goals are for that day.

Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Ard, hairwing530 liked this post
Old 07-16-2017, 06:48 PM

banjominnow is a jewel in the roughbanjominnow is a jewel in the roughbanjominnow is a jewel in the rough

I've been on several fishing trips hosted by my local fly shop. Not just that, I'm starting to develop a real relationship with some of the guys at the shop (they slide on the sales tax). It's getting to the point where I'm starting to feel super guilty if I don't buy from the shop. I try to shop there as much as I can.
Old 07-16-2017, 08:36 PM

corn fed fins has much to be proud ofcorn fed fins has much to be proud ofcorn fed fins has much to be proud ofcorn fed fins has much to be proud ofcorn fed fins has much to be proud ofcorn fed fins has much to be proud ofcorn fed fins has much to be proud ofcorn fed fins has much to be proud ofcorn fed fins has much to be proud ofcorn fed fins has much to be proud of

I attempt to support any locally owned business. I always stop buy shops, even if not fishing and just in the area. Shoot the breeze and buy something. I'm always out of something. lol

A story my local shop owner told me he did this:

So, a couple of guys came in and asked some questions about the local fisheries and where to go, what to fish, etc. (Carl loves talking fish) Hour later he said they put some tippet, leaders, and flies on the counter. So Carl said he rings them up. "XXXX dollars", Carl says. Guy stands there for a second and then says "This would have costed 60% of that on the internet."
Carl replied "Ok. 60% it is."
Guy smiled thinking Carl is BS'ing him but Carl said he pulled out the calculator and proceeded to redo the total to 60%.
"XXXX dollars guys" Carl said.
Guy replied, "Oh, you didn't have to do that. I was just saying."
"Not a problem." as Carl started to put the stuff in a bag and waited for the card to clear.
"Just a signature", Carl said. Guy signed the receipt and before he can grab the bag Carl said he took it and put it under the counter then told them, "You can pick this up in 5-6 business days or pay XXXXX (the 40% he discounted) to get it expressed shipped and available right now." True? I don't know but knowing this guy I believe every word. He said he gave them their stuff for 60% but just wanted to prove a point. IDK. Funny though.
Old 07-16-2017, 09:27 PM

bluechipfish is on a distinguished road

Reading through this forum has definitely taught me that. The best thing I can do besides put time in the water is go support a shop and try to pick up some intel while I'm there.

That story above is classic, and very poor form on the customers part.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 4 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Ard, hairwing530, brook rookie, spm liked this post
Old 07-16-2017, 11:08 PM

tcorfey has a reputation beyond reputetcorfey has a reputation beyond reputetcorfey has a reputation beyond reputetcorfey has a reputation beyond reputetcorfey has a reputation beyond reputetcorfey has a reputation beyond reputetcorfey has a reputation beyond reputetcorfey has a reputation beyond reputetcorfey has a reputation beyond reputetcorfey has a reputation beyond reputetcorfey has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with all of this and when a shop is available where I am traveling I try to stop in and buy a few things and ask a few questions. Many times the water or location where I am headed is not a place where a lot of people go and they will share that and some historical info if they have it. If they say no ones been there for awhile I will report back to them what I found. The shops are usually grateful for that info also.

The last four rods I purchased were two from the Pleasanton fly show and two from a shop where I fish a lot (although the shop and the fishing is four hours away from me).

Regards,

Tim C.