Knot to be, I guess.

cmdrstp

Reaction score
I sometimes (ok, all the time) have a little problem fishing the loop end through on a small surgeon's knot. I use a loop-to-loop connections. is their a tool with a small hook that will help my draw the loop through? What is the best knot tying tool? I am looking at the "The Winder Knot-Tyer" by Orvis. Any experience with it? Thank you.

BigCliff

Reaction score
I would just try to make bigger loops. I use perfection loops for both ends of a loop2loop connection, make the loops about the size of a sunflower seed (with shell), and it works fine for me.

The perfection loop takes a bit of practice, but I bet you'll grow to likle it best.

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi cmdrstp,

The Surgeon Loop is a very strong loop but it is difficult to tie small. I only use the Surgeon Loop when fishing big fish like Salmon.

Like Cliff, I use the Perfection Loop for all Trout fishing. It is quick to tie and you can get a fairly small loop. If you want a tool to use take a look at Crochet needles. Just make sure there are no sharp edges.

Frank

Crochet Needles

GeorgeMcFly

Reaction score
my cousin bent a paper clip into a hook shape to help him grab the line for some of his knots and then attached that to his zipper of his fly vest for on stream knots.

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi cmdrstp,

Here are three other tools that will help with tying knots. The Ty Rite Has a little hook that extends by pushing on the top. It will grab your line and pull it through the loop. This is the standard size tool and they make a smaller one also. It has a hook to hang on your vest. Also a great tool for picking up a small fly from your box and making a clinch knot.

You could also use a small Forceps to pull your loop through but you would have to use caution not to damage the line.

Frank

Ty Rite Tool

Cinch Tie Knot Tyer

Four Inch Forceps

cmdrstp

Reaction score
Thank you all! Great advice and tips. I appreciate it. I did buy a tiny crochet needle....works great. I do like the Perfection loop now too.

FlyRichardFly

Reaction score
Great info! Talking about knots, I use the Perfection Loop for loop to loop but rather than a Improved Clinch to the fly, I use a Uni.
I use a Uni to Uni to connect the tippet, rather than a Blood or Double surgeons.
A Uni is so quick and easy to tie. I can tie one in about 5 seconds and the Uni is closest to 100% strength as a knot can get. And a Uni is small just like a Blood.
I started with braids in saltwater, and now that know replaced the Improved Clinch for me.
What do you think, Frank? Is it a good knot, or am I only kidding myself.

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi Richard,

I like the uni-to-uni knot. I also use it a lot. When fishing in-shore I use the uni-to-uni to fasten tippets to the leader. I also use it to fasten a leader to a braided line.

Frank

FlyRichardFly

Reaction score
Thanks, Frank,

I thought they were a strong knot, and if you also use them ......... good enough for me!

Everyone on a video or TV always uses a Improved Clinch to tie the fly to the tippet. The knots always break for me and way too much time to tie!!
And Bloods, I must be doing something wrong because they break too easy and take so long to tie. With a Uni to Uni I can leave 10" of line out and make a perfect tie and when the line is pulled the knots slip together and waste almost no line at all.
I was getting worried about all the breakoffs with thin line, 2lb test, but with the Uni's I don't break anymore.

Nooksack Mac

Reaction score
Pointed, squeeze-to-open tweezers aren't considered basic fly gear - why, I don't know. I use my 40-year-old one almost daily. Good for pulling mono strands through a small loop, in knot-tying; good for tying an overhand knot in pheasant fibers for legs; great for picking a hook out of a pile, for fly tying.

The double loop cinch knot, or Trilene knot, is one of the strongest tippet-to-hook knots, and the one I use mostly. Definitely stronger than the improved cinch. The line-to-line Uni knot is much stronger than the blood knot (although I'll have to see one tied in five seconds to believe it). I use it for tying tippets into a knotted leader, with blood knots for the upper connections. I no longer have to routinely replace the tippet along with a lost fly.

dimitris

Reaction score
I sometimes (ok, all the time) have a little problem fishing the loop end through on a small surgeon's knot. I use a loop-to-loop connections. is their a tool with a small hook that will help my draw the loop through? What is the best knot tying tool? I am looking at the "The Winder Knot-Tyer" by Orvis. Any experience with it? Thank you.
thankss