Three-day Fall Trip: Where do you go in the Northeast?

sevenmxf

Reaction score
Greetings, all -

You have three days to fish this fall in the Northeast (let's limit it to NY, MA, PA, CT and VT). Mid-October. Where do you go?

Cheers!
Michael

cattech89

Reaction score
Salmon will be running off of lakes Erie and Ontario. Salmon river in Pulaski would probably be a little crowded but should be fun.
My 2 cents.......

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Michael,

You have to be able to find some fishing close to home. I'm thinking stay in Lake Placid and fish the Ausable for brown trout. Streamers except for the mid day caddis and work the pockets and tail outs really well with the streamers. Whitlock Sculpins Dk. brown would be a good choice for the big wets.

By staying in L. Placid you and your son will have lots of cool shops to visit and there are more than a few fly shops in the area.

Ard

flores81

Reaction score
Hi Michael,

You have to be able to find some fishing close to home. I'm thinking stay in Lake Placid and fish the Ausable for brown trout. Streamers except for the mid day caddis and work the pockets and tail outs really well with the streamers. Whitlock Sculpins Dk. brown would be a good choice for the big wets.

By staying in L. Placid you and your son will have lots of cool shops to visit and there are more than a few fly shops in the area.

Ard
there are great stuff in those fly shops

Rip Tide

Reaction score
I go to Cape Cod for the Columbus weekend
In the past I've spent the same weekend at the Farmington River in CT and the White River in VT

Cape Cod can be hit or miss in mid October as it is well into the striper migration and I often think I'd be better off closer to home in Rhode Island. But Cape Cod is sunny, warm and void of tourists that time of year. A great season to be there

If you were talking the end of September I'd definitely say Maine for the land locked salmon run, but the season ends as of 10/1

ant

Reaction score
I'm going to Lake Erie, PA, area for some steelies in lat October. PM me if your interested in the specifics.

peregrines

Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator
Reaction score
October is a good time to catch big brown trout moving up rivers to spawn, so exploring some streams with good wild populations of brown trout is a good option.

Here are a few others:

Striped Bass with possible shots at False Albacore- Martha’s Vineyard or Cape Cod MA, or Montauk, NY

Landlocked Salmon on Lake Champlain tribs, NY
Salmon Fishing on Lake Champlain Tributaries - NYS Dept. of Environmental Conservation

Steelhead and big lake run brown trout on great lakes tributaries to Lake Ontario in NY, and/or Lake Erie in PA

sevenmxf

Reaction score
Seven, the answer for me would be Steelies in PA or NY; but the final decision is yours, what do you want to chase?

Dan
Yep - relevant question, Dan.

I thought about it for a bit and we're gonna take a quick trip back to the wild brookie streams of the Adirondacks the second weekend in October (have to put my new Orvis Superfine to the test). I'm also gonna reserve the last weekend in October for two days on the Salmon River. Why not?

Do you guys dream about trout?

Cheers, all! Hope you're well and many thanks for the wisdom.

Michael

peregrines

Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator
Reaction score
Michael-

Don't forget to pick up a new freshwater fishing license for NY (the license "year" for freshwater fishing licenses expires Sept 31), you'll need a new one to fish in Oct. The license will run from Oct 1, 2010 to Sept 31 2011.

And as an aside, just to confuse things, in NY the "marine recreational license" (a new requirement that just went into effect the end of last year) for fishing in salt water runs on the calendar year (Jan 1- Dec 31)....

sevenmxf

Reaction score
Michael-

Don't forget to pick up a new freshwater fishing license for NY (the license "year" for freshwater fishing licenses expires Sept 31), you'll need a new one to fish in Oct. The license will run from Oct 1, 2010 to Sept 31 2011.

And as an aside, just to confuse things, in NY the "marine recreational license" (a new requirement that just went into effect the end of last year) for fishing in salt water runs on the calendar year (Jan 1- Dec 31)....
Thanks for the heads-up, Mark. Leave it up to NYS to confuse its taxpayers.

Michael

cattech89

Reaction score
Do you guys dream about trout?
Uh.........yeah:eek::rolleyes:
I cant pass a stream or see anything on TV that Im not like "there has got to be some trout in there." Its gotten so bad that when my wife sees the same thing she'll beat me to the punch and say "Yes, I know that would be a good fishing spot.":fishing::D

Happy to hear about your choices. Please give us a report when you return.
Have fun.