Tree Identification

littledavid123

Reaction score
Nothing to do with fly fishing but I know some of our members can guide me in the right direction. I am looking for a book to help me with tree identification, either nationally or only for the rockies. A lot of books on the subject but have not located one that makes identification easy. What good is a tree photo from 100 feet away and a blurry photo of the bark and a sketch of the leaf! :rolleyes:

Any help would be appreciated...

Dave

fq13

Reaction score
Order the Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Trees Western Edition. It is a paperback with pictures and goes for about $12 on Amazon. Me, I am in the same boat. Sadly my grandfather was a forest ranger with a degree in forestry, and I can barely tell one type of oak from another. He'd kick my arse if he were still alive.:eek:

chechem

Reaction score
Join the modern world. Get an app.

Try Leafsnap or similar; just snap a pic of the leaf and get the answer.

Hope this helps!

olsaltydog

Reaction score
Second the Audubon Society books, small and easily carried or you could do like mentioned and get an App. Would have to verify if the app requires signal or not though to determine its usefulness because alot of areas out west don't get reception let alone data.

corn fed fins

Reaction score
I like the books. I can take a sample and place it in it. Then I always have a reminder of that day. Dried leaves and flowers. Pretty cool.

karstopo

Reaction score
I tried the leafsnap app. Pros, quick, gives some options.

I knew the tree species in each case in the 5 leaf photos I tried the app on. It nailed the red oak and the mimosa as first choices. The American Basswood leaf photo, the app listed as the third option. The Redbud leaf photo it listed the tree as a Canadian Redbud and that could be right. The Orchid Tree it missed altogether.

Pretty nice app, though.

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

markfrid

Reaction score
Order the Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Trees Western Edition. It is a paperback with pictures and goes for about $12 on Amazon. Me, I am in the same boat. Sadly my grandfather was a forest ranger with a degree in forestry, and I can barely tell one type of oak from another. He'd kick my arse if he were still alive.:eek:
Don't feel too bad about the Oaks. They have a reputation (in botanical circles) for being shameless hybridizers. I remember a botanist friend of mine in college talking about how her professor loved giving "weird" Oak leaves as part of the tree ID lab test. Even he didn't know what species it was since it was a cross-breed!

Real funny, Doc.

Mark

littledavid123

Reaction score
I am getting the V Tree app, can use your GPS location to narrow the tree search. Being from the "older generation" I rarely think to search for an app since I grew up with books. Appreciate all the ideas...:)

Dave