Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Keeping dry flies afloat

1. Default Keeping dry flies afloat

Could anybody suggest tips to keep dry flies "dry" and floating longer?

Thanks,

Truchas.

Default Re: Keeping dry flies afloat

Mmmm...I think a lot of folks use too much floatant. Also, some people put it on a fly that has been wet already and not yet fully dry, which just seals in the moisture. Here's a link on using paste but I was taught the same thing for any floatant: http://www.orvis.co.uk/detail.asp?su...oup_id=&bhcp=1 I also use a drying powder.

3. Default Re: Keeping dry flies afloat

i use regular aquel floatant. I have a dry fly patch and dry the fly once it gets wet and then apply a lil floatant to the back of my finger and rub some off that onto the fly. works for me.
    "Hey, you.Get your damn hands off my herl !!!!"

owner of the GL Fishing Forum.

Good Question
    I use Loon "AQUEL". Just put a little on your fingers & rub it on a DRY fly & your ready to go. Don't use any floatant on CDC flies. When they start to sink after catching a few fish I carry a small bottle of 90% alcohol to put them in & shake it up. That removes all the fish slime & cleans them up. I have a small chamois patch on my vest & squeeze the fly in that & then false cast it & I'm ready to go...... The alcohol will also work on a non-CDC fly to clean them & I carry a small bottle of dessicant powder that will dry them out before I apply more Aquel. All flies will sink eventually because they will pick up dirt etc. from the water so you have to clean & dress them occasionaly. I used to put "WATERSHED" on flies as I tied them but I don't bother now, Heck at one time I would put a bunch of dry flies I tied in a paper bag & spray them with silicone spray in the bag & let the bag sit until they dried & then put them in a flybox but why bother when the Aquel works well enough.....another thought just hit me , there used to be a
    product on the market that we would put in smaller bottles & carry with us. You'ld put the fly in it & shake it up & it would clean & dress the fly all in one step. Great stuff but it went the way of Wonderwax I quess, because I can't find it anymore. The name was FLYClean or something like that & it had a a familiar smell, Something like the old Fels Napta soap. It was great stuff...... Also don't bother with those liquid spray on floatants as you get more in the air then on the fly. The only way to use the pump sprays is to pour it in a bottle, put your fly in it & shake it up.

5. Default Re: Keeping dry flies afloat

Quote Originally Posted by FISHN50 View Post
    there used to be a
    product on the market that we would put in smaller bottles & carry with us. You'ld put the fly in it & shake it up & it would clean & dress the fly all in one step. Great stuff but it went the way of Wonderwax I quess, because I can't find it anymore..
    you talking bout frogs fanny??? its kinda the same. its powder. you can use it on cdc also.
    "Hey, you.Get your damn hands off my herl !!!!"

owner of the GL Fishing Forum.

No, the stuff I was talking about was a liquid & it came in a about 100 ml bottle. Tho bottle was like a "Softex" bottle about 2 inches round & about 3 inches high. It was great stuff. I usually use "Frog's Fanny but I picked up a container of Loons "Top Ride" & it's working OK also

Fishn50,
    You just brought back some ancient memories when you mentioned 'WonderWax', that stuff was awsome. I think I still have my empty bright green container around here somewhere. lol

Quote Originally Posted by fyshstykr View Post
    Fishn50,
    You just brought back some ancient memories when you mentioned 'WonderWax', that stuff was awsome. I think I still have my empty bright green container around here somewhere. lol
    Yea it was great stuff. I still have a full container that will last a lifetime. Maybe thats why they don't make it anymore, a container would last 10 years,

I remember hearing something years ago about the original inventor went to prison and that was why it was no longer available(@ a traveling flyfisherman seminar). Don't know if it was really true or not though.

Everytime I see someone that even has a partial tube left I try to buy it from them, needless to say, I still don't have any of it.

10. Default Re: Keeping dry flies afloat

Gink works pretty good for me. Cheap, everywhere, and they claim "World's best Dry Fly Dressing" I've never had a prob with trout slime on the dry. If it gets saturated after a couple fish, I just "snap" a couple false casts with my fast action rod.
    Now you got me all excited about the drys and trout. A couple of my local streams were restocked last week and will be again this Thursday.
    I'll leave the rockbass alone for a while and get my 3wt ready for tomorrow.

"People are crazy, times are strange"
    "I'm locked in tight, I'm out of range"
    "I used to care, but things have changed"
    - Dylan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast