The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > >

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Old 08-15-2017, 07:27 PM

muddzy is on a distinguished road
Default standing up to fish in your kayak or inflatable pontoon

Hi.

My questions

1) do those that have stand up kayaks or inflatable pontoon boats often stand up to fish, or is it one of those things that doesn't work as well as you thought it would due to current / wind so it's usually just easier/simpler to sit and cast?

2) any feedback on a stand up inflatable pontoon?

3) Is using fins part-time, in addition to oars, on a pontoon like the Fish Cat 10-IR practical or is the pontoon simply too big if there's more than a breath of wind/current?

Backstory to the questions: I have a 19ft boat that I use to fly fish mostly in saltwater, although I have taken it a few times on the Delaware River (DR), Salmon River (NY) and some lakes. I wade for steelhead, bass and trout and I'm looking into a float platform to use on the DR and other rivers. I've canoed a good bit and done class 3 rapids but I don't like a canoe as a fly fishing platform. I don't like them because they are hard to keep oriented while fishing, stop from moving quickly without having to drop and raise anchor every time I want to work a hole and finally they are hard to stand up in to cast from. I was initially considering the relatively inexpensive float tubes because I could control my speed while casting or even kick to become stationary if I want to easily work a hole. But I found out the float tubes aren't desirable in rivers with current, class 2 rapids and/or shallow runs. So now I'm looking at inflatable pontoons. They are compact, they seem to be able to handle some whitewater/shallow runs, on some you can use either flippers (stillwater) or oars and on a few you can stand to cast (which I really prefer vs sitting). I've found the Outcast Fish Cat 10-IR Stand Up Pontoon Boat has all of these features, including a standing bar, and the SeaEagle 285fpb sort of has these features (can't use flippers but can stand (no standing bar)). One more thing - I also want to be able to pack my float on my motorcycle and hit the DR a few hrs up north, which I can do with either of these pontoons but I couldn't do with a kayak (or framed pontoon).

I don't have any experience using a float tube or pontoon and I searched the web to see if anyone along the DR rents them, but no luck. So, before I invest $1,000 or more, I wanted to see what the experts thought. If I don't need to stand up then I can get a smaller pontoon, which will be easier to kick paddle and control.

THANKS!
Old 08-15-2017, 08:09 PM

flybri2 is a jewel in the roughflybri2 is a jewel in the roughflybri2 is a jewel in the roughflybri2 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: standing up to fish in your kayak or inflatable pontoon

I fish the Delaware(s) in a Scadden pontoon. It has a standing platform and bar, however, I don't use them mainly because I'm concerned about the boat shifting in wind. On the WB and EB I mainly beach the boat and wade fish. A few pools on the WB, and on the mainstem, I anchor up and fish in a seated position. The advantage of the pontoon is that I sit up pretty high in the seat, especially with the swivel attachment. It's something you have to practice, but you can become pretty good at casting from a seat.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks muddzy thanked for this post
Old 08-15-2017, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybri2 View Post
I fish the Delaware(s) in a Scadden pontoon. It has a standing platform and bar, however, I don't use them mainly because I'm concerned about the boat shifting in wind. On the WB and EB I mainly beach the boat and wade fish. A few pools on the WB, and on the mainstem, I anchor up and fish in a seated position. The advantage of the pontoon is that I sit up pretty high in the seat, especially with the swivel attachment. It's something you have to practice, but you can become pretty good at casting from a seat.
What model scadden / size do you have? Where you mention is exactly some of the places I want to use it (but I haven't fished there yet). I've been hesitant to look at Scaddens because his company seems to get blasted for their customer service. People claim he constantly changes models since his lifetime warranty only applies to the model one purchases and they can choose to provide you a newer model with an upcharge.
Old 08-15-2017, 08:34 PM

flybri2 is a jewel in the roughflybri2 is a jewel in the roughflybri2 is a jewel in the roughflybri2 is a jewel in the rough

I have a skykomish sunrise. The outcast pontoons are good boats too, a little smaller than the scadden. I have the framed, 2 pontoon boat. I've heard the negative comments on scadden but my experience has been positive. I only had 1 issue so far in 6 years and the scadden team actually told me how to "fix" my issue and said there was no reason for any new parts.
Old 08-16-2017, 06:51 AM

huronfly is a name known to allhuronfly is a name known to allhuronfly is a name known to allhuronfly is a name known to allhuronfly is a name known to allhuronfly is a name known to all

Haven't taken my yak into a river with much current but I fish it in lakes quite often. When I am fly casting I am almost always standing on my kayak. I also find stripping line and casting much more difficult sitting down. Kayak is an ascend fs12t.
Old 08-16-2017, 11:12 AM

Thanks guys. The more I read the more I think I like the flexibility to stand, or I would want a higher, swivel seat (which raises center of gravity though). I would like to have the ability to turn/propel the craft with my feet while I'm fishing, too. I have a Minn Kota TM w/gps on my boat and we use it a lot to position while fishing.

Probably what I need to do is try some of these toons/kayaks out. Maybe I'll buy used and resell until I find something I like.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes karstopo liked this post
Old 08-16-2017, 11:36 AM

I've seen a few fisherman on the Delaware with Kayaks but they always beach their boats. I don't know why, but I've never seen a kayak anchored up.
Old 08-16-2017, 06:33 PM

sevenweight is on a distinguished road

The downside of pontoons is they can be a PITA to transport, set up and launch; and they can be onerous to paddle across flat water and into a breeze. You also typically need to do a shuttle. I've known guys who used a small trolling motor to overcome some of the paddling issues. But once on the water and floating downstream they are wonderful to fish from, standing or sitting. They handle all but the most extreme white water better than a kayak or canoe with a little learning.

I fished from kayaks for a number of years on mid-Atlantic rivers and my last few were models propose-built to allow standing and fishing. Even so, there are many caveats for standing in a yak. If you don't have excellent motor skills, are overweight or have hip or knee issues you, may to consider a kayak and look into boars from companies like Jackson, who have innovated many accommodations for kayak fishermen. My last boat was a Jackson Cruise. For fly fishing standing in a yak I developed a very upright cast arms-only with a square stance and avoided turning and weight shifts. It worked great up to about 50 feet.

---------- Post added at 05:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:27 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybri2 View Post
I've seen a few fisherman on the Delaware with Kayaks but they always beach their boats. I don't know why, but I've never seen a kayak anchored up.
You can anchor a kayak but it carries risks, depending on speed of the water. And if you wipe out in a rapid or even a riffle and the anchor gets loose or wrapped around a leg it can get ugly in a hurry.
Old 08-17-2017, 02:11 PM

pnc is a name known to allpnc is a name known to allpnc is a name known to allpnc is a name known to allpnc is a name known to allpnc is a name known to all

Used canoe on Delaware for years. Fished NY border to Water gap. 14' canoe , 4' wide at center , v hull. No problem standing or walking from one end to other. Used plastic milk bottle filled with rocks for.drag anchor. Rate of movment controlled by how much anchor line was played out.

...... pc
Old 08-18-2017, 08:50 AM

gpwhitejr will become famous soon enough

I have a WS Tarpon 120 kayak and I have stood in it just to see what that was like, but I don't think I could fish in it that way, too wobbly (maybe if I had better balance). What I did spend some time doing was practice casting while sitting on the grass in my yard.

I use an anchor in the pond when it is windy, and I haven't had any problems but there is always the potential. I used to to pass the anchor line through a carabiner on the anchor trolley and tie the other end to a float (a gallon milk jug painted yellow); that way I could easily jettison the anchor if necessary, but come back and get it later. I never actually had to do that so I don't use that arrangement anymore.