Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Default South Fork of the Snake guide missing.

It looks as though we've lost another brother on the river. It's been a tough year on the South Fork so far.
    Authorities search for fishing guide missing after board clips on Snake River - Authorities search for fishing guide missing after board clips on Snake River: Local

Please be careful out there this weekend.

Default Re: South Fork of the Snake guide missing.

Thanks for the update Sasha.

4. Default Re: South Fork of the Snake guide missing.

This has been posted on another board I frequent. A lot of people there knew him. They all liked him very much and said he was a nice guy and always helpful to his fellow anglers. This is a truly sad and tragic thing and my condolences go out to his family.

This is sad...

I know the guides on the San Juan are required to make clients wear flotation devices. (And they provide the auto inflate you don't know you have them on)

However, I don't think I have ever seen one of them using it. I can tell you I feel I could swim well but in 40 degree water with current I am happy to wear a flotation device.

Kris (aka CritterGetter)

Hi Everyone,

Very sad news. Some people think that drift boats are invincible and there is no need to use a PFD. The South Snake is big water and I hope all of you reading this rethink whether a vest is needed to fish big water. The nature of tail waters is cold water and being a strong swimmer is not good enough. If you don't want to wear your suspender PFD then get a belt PFD. You have to manual inflate it with a rip cord but it is a lot better than no PFD at all.

Frank

Blog Entries

I used to feel invincible down east and drifted the Big Pine Creek and the rivers shirtless and soaking up the sun. I guess I was lucky because I swamped more times than I want to write about. Running the rivers here changed my thinking and did so quickly. I wear a Sterns vest with Co2 and a manual tube for inflation even when I am out of the boat wading.

I am sorry to have heard about this accident.

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone

Quote Originally Posted by crittergetter View Post
    This is sad...

I know the guides on the San Juan are required to make clients wear flotation devices. (And they provide the auto inflate you don't know you have them on)

However, I don't think I have ever seen one of them using it. I can tell you I feel I could swim well but in 40 degree water with current I am happy to wear a flotation device.

Kris (aka CritterGetter)
    Kris beat me to it: "All three riders on the boat were not wearing life their jackets." All Guides (as are anyone else) are required to PFD's on board (one for everyone) but when was the last time you actually saw anyone actually have one on? Only been on a flipping DB once (more than once on a raft trip) and you'll have 3-5 seconds of AHHHHH SHHHHHHIIIIIIIIIT before you hit the water.

Not a Prayer in Hell that you'll have time to grab one, let alone put it on properly. But back to my point (ya, there is one here): Often wondered why 'Guides' (anyone else for that matter) who'd spend thousands of dollars for equipment, boat, motor, et. al. ... and not drop a few 'saw-bucks' for something like SOSpenders. Comfortable to ware, self inflating, you need to do nothing ... save for 'add water.' Lots and lots of damned cold water.

fae
    When wealth is lost, nothing is lost; when health is lost, something is lost; when character is lost, all is lost. - Billy Graham"

Another key is to make sure you are wearing a wader belt to prevent them waders from filling up with water. PFD may not even be enough if those waders fill up.

White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone

Quote Originally Posted by Tracker12 View Post
    Another key is to make sure you are wearing a wader belt to prevent them waders from filling up with water. PFD may not even be enough if those waders fill up.
    Not to worry there, when full of water the weight of your waders (even breathables) is 'neutral.' Now when you finally climb out of the river ..... that water will weigh in at more than a few pounds.
    When wealth is lost, nothing is lost; when health is lost, something is lost; when character is lost, all is lost. - Billy Graham"