William Joseph ZipperLESS packs Pictures

gearguy

Reaction score
As promised, I went back to the store and the guy let me take some pictures of the pack. In my opinion, nothing matches it. As you can see in some of the pictures, where the zipper would be, there is a magnet lining both the top and bottom of the opening so it closes flush. The resistance is perfect and you don't have to worry about leaving your pack open, it closes automatically.

I asked the owner what he knew about them and he only said that William Joseph is "...out to crush fishponds fruity colored packs with unfluffy fishing gear". Pretty funny i guess.

He also said that those fishing in salt water conditions will love this because there is no zipper to corrode. Hope you enjoy.

http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/f52/image-posting-size-limits-2494.html

BigCliff

Reaction score
Ok it looks pretty great, and clean looking.

But I gotta call BS on the guy's saltwater comment. I would expect the magnetic material to experiance substantial corrosion once saltwater soaks through the material surrounding it. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that a magnet has to contain metal, and the only ones that don't corrode in the salt are subject to magnetic attraction.

Anyone have any experience with flexible magnetic materials and corrosion?

I would expect this pack to work great for quite a long while in typical freshwater conditions where its only getting wet occasionally and allowed to dry out afterwards. But I wouldn't think it would be ideal for fishing in the surf at all.

gearguy

Reaction score
I plan on getting one when they come out. I don't know if I will be able to test it out on the surf, but I will let you all know how it works on the fresh water.

I guess the advantage is not having the tracks corrode on the zippers. I imagine there is no corrosion-proof product that will always withstand the salt, but its getting close.

BigCliff

Reaction score
I discussed it with the owner of TX top fly shop today, and he raised a concern I hadn't thought of- Pacemakers. Apparently the magnets can wreak havoc on them and when one has a shop in the old money 'hood, one has to be aware of such things.

gearguy

Reaction score
That is an interesting idea. Well, still not a problem with me and if it ever is, there is no other place I would rather kick the bucket than on the river.

On a serious note, I'm calling a BS on the pace maker point because how many people have pace makers, and what percentage of that population fly fish, and then what percentage of that population are putting the hip pack against their chest. You have a better chance of screwing with the pace maker with a cell phone than a pack. Just my thoughts.

Fly2Fish

Reaction score
I don't have a pacemaker and don't know anyone who does, but from what I've heard, having a pacemaker implanted does not mean one is infirm. They are mainly used to help regulate an irregular heartbeat, which does not mean the user is an invalid, and from what I understand a user can have a pretty active lifestyle with one. Don't see anything here that would hamper someone having one who likes to flyfish. Flyfishing may be more strenuous than golf, but it's hardly marathon running . . .

marcelnl

Reaction score
Still waiting for a chance to see the pics (they can be resized pretty easily by MS picture manager and the likes) ....
The only thing that might happen when a magnet of enough (and quite considerable) field strength is placed over a pacemaker is that it reverts the thing to a fixed rythm of usually some 60-70 Bpm. So nobody will keel over whilst flyfishing even if the magnet is strong enough to invoke that, unless that unique Watermonster gets you running for your life and cardiac output does not match your oxygen need.....:wink:

Magnets should corrode as wel as most metals, yet they can probably quite effectively be coated with fe Epoxy or encased in plastic.

One perhaps more practical problem I discovered the hard way by using a PDA case with a magnet clip was the fact that they quite effectively erase magnetic strips, making credit cards and bank cards pretty useless.....
(once stood at the exit of an Airport parking lot with an useless parking ticket for which I just paid some 60€)

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi Gearguy,

It would be great if you could resize your photos and re-post them. If you are unable to do that I will post them for you if you Email them to me. This is a one time offer. I think the pictures are needed for this thread to make sense. I went to William Joseph site but they don't have any pictures posted yet. Does this picture show the pack you are talking about?

Frank

William Joseph Chest Pack
Easy open magnetic flap up front where you need it with side loading capabilities.

gearguy

Reaction score
SORRY SORRY SORRY. I posted am went on my own merry way for a few days and didn't see that they were deleted.

Frank, I will send them to you if you send me an address I can send them to. Can you PM me? I will shoot a few pics to you. Thanks and sorry again.

gearguy

Reaction score
Willy J zipperless pack pics

Sorry everyone, here are the pictures resized.

gearguy

Reaction score
Re: Willy J zipperless pack pics

I found this article about the new pack as well, it offers a little more info than I can.
Enjoy. Click on the FLY TALK link below

FlyTalk

Little Fish

Reaction score
With the pacemaker it is only affected when the mag strip is placed very close to it, it has to be with in a couple of inches of the pacemaker. In less some one has the pack lying on their chest it will not effect any thing. Plus there are not many people with pacemaker who are out fishing, if you fall in the river, the lake or the surf you are not going to be very happy, it’s a long day in the ER if you can make it there. There are a few people out there with pacemakers who do fish but it’s in a very controlled environment. The pack looks good, finally Will Jo make a good looking pack. Cliff makes a good point about salt how ever I would believe that a pack company would test their product and know if it can stand up to salt. I’m not sure with Will Jo but with must pack company you can send them back and they will replace it. I like the idea that you could get a new pack every few years if the salt makes it so you can’t use it.