Robbed :(

philthy

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

Went outside this morning to find my truck had been broken into overnight. 400 bucks to have the door lock replaced. The real heartbreaker was the gear that was stolen: my Sage 3710 TXL and Ross CLA, my William Joseph Coastal pack that had 3 C&F boxes stuffed full of flies. Nevermind the 5 rolls of fluoro tippet, extra leaders, tools and gadgets. The conservative total of my loss was pushing a grand. I've filed a police report and the insurance company is all over it.

Must have been some real rocket scientists that did this, because the didn't take the bamboo in a cardboard tube on the floor in back!

Lesson learned? Never leave your stuff in a vehicle. I learned the hard way and hope you all don't have to.

Phil

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi Phil,

What a bummer. You learned a good lesson but could have learned the same lesson with a little less stuff.:)

When I was flying in Alaska we use to leave the doors unlocked in case somebody wanted to break in. The radios had locks and I never lost anything. We always took every thing out that was not locked down.

Sorry for your loss.

Frank

GeorgeMcFly

Reaction score
sorry to hear that. I had a good friend or at least I thought he was good. them a large sum of money went missing from my house 2 weeks after he happened to see the hiding spot. guess sometimes we learn stuff the hard way. lets just say i could of prolly have bought 4 sages with it :(

HuronRiverDan

Reaction score
Sorry for your loss. I learned my lesson a few years back, fortunately most of my fishing gear was with me on the stream. I ended up losing a cheapo rod that I had for a back-up. I had put my FFF window sticker and my TU Life Member sticker. The officer that took my report for the damage and the other fishing related items that were taken said that was like posting an invitation. Now no more stickers, and all my gear goes in the room with me. If I can't bring it in I bury it in junk.

Dan

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi to all,

Dan, I don't put any stickers on my autos. I have belonged to the NRA since sometime in the fifties. No way would I put an NRA sticker on my autos. Just inviting trouble.

My friend had a generator taken out of the back of his pickup. He carried it for his 5th wheel. He was fishing the Provo and when they got back to the truck it was gone. It was chained to the truck but they had bolt cutters big enough to cut the chain. The guy who took the generator must have carried the bolt cutters around with him.

Frank

philthy

Reaction score
Good point, guys. I'll be scraping the stickers off my camper window. I did get an email off to Sage in case someone other than me turns it in for repairs. I also gave my info (including the rod serial number) to the local fly shops and one of those "Play it Again" places. Los Pinos had some C&F boxes on sale for 28 and 30 bucks for Father's Day, so I treated myself for a couple. Gotta start somewhere. In the meantime, everything is inside, where it belongs! Scary thing is, my 5 wt SLT and Lamson Velocity were inside the camper!

shorthaul

Reaction score
I hate thieves---Its hard to believe that a crackhead would be motivated enough to learn the finer arts of flyfishing---

da Bear

Reaction score
So sorry to hear of your misfortune. They say it takes all kinds, and its true but hard to accept at times, at least for me. It takes a sorry !@#$% to do such a thing and I hope they are found and punished to the full extent the law allows. I'm glad they didn't get the bamboo...at least there is a positive in all this. But thats easy for me to say. Its not my belongings that were stolen. Again, I'm so sorry. I hope the insurance will do their part. Not to be discouraging, but I don't put much hope in the police. Just my opinion based on past experience. Take care.

philthy

Reaction score
Actually, all I'm looking for is a police report. They've got bigger fish to fry here in Abluquerque and I'm not expecting anything to happen. My gear's gone and I need to just suck it up. I'd dearly love to mete out the punishment if they were ever caught. Pulling fingernails out with a pair of pliers would be a nice place to start.

fyshstykr

Reaction score
Phil,
So sorry to hear of this.
Being robbed truly leaves you feeling violated, been there done that.

I hate thieves! :mad:

gearguy

Reaction score
Ouch!!! Let this be a lesson for all, especially me. I had my sage, pack, waders, reel, and boots in the back seat of my truck for about 2 weeks and every night I had the thought "one of these nights, someone is gonna ruin your life" so eventually I just pulled it all in. Thanks for the heads up and sounds like you are on your way to getting back on track.

liv2fish

Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your gear. I would keep and eye out on ebay/craigslist and let some of the other members know to do the same. Who knows, they might be dumb enough to try to sell it in the near future.

philthy

Reaction score
Thanks for the kinds words, everyone! On a lighter note, my 16 year old son just called from Yellowstone where he's on vacation with his Mom after he got my email. He must have ESP, because he bought me some flies today! How cool is that? He's moving here to live with me in 3 weeks and it's gonna be great. Fantastic kid and he's beginning to love fly fishing. If he'd just get better grades, I couldn't ask for more ;)

Phil

philthy

Reaction score
Hi Neil,

No, it was here in Albucracky....right outside my apartment. The TXL never made the trip to the San Juan since I didn't think it had enough backbone. I mainly used it in the Jemez for smaller streams/fish. Yea, the fishing pliers were lost as well, but I have vise grips, electrical lineman pliers, etc. 13 days until I move to a nicer place and it's gonna be nice to have good storage for everything - including the boat! As soon as I find my razorblade scraper, all the fishing decals are coming off the truck.

NickFlyer

Reaction score
Sucks man. I moved to Socal for school and had my fly rod and gear riding around the back of my truck under a locked shell for over a month and nothing hapened to it. It's only a matter of time before it ends up missing. I realize I probably shouldn't do that anymore.

Jackster

Reaction score
I'm sorry for your losses but there might be a smidgen of hope.
FAOL has a section of their board just to help recover stolen goods from the low-life crack-heads who know nothing more than being miserable and making other peoples lives miserable.
It might be worth a shot and might have the nation keep an eye out for your stuff.

racine

Reaction score
Sorry for your loss and it's a big one at that. I just hope your car insurance covers everything( minus deductible of course). I try hard not to leave equipment out in plain sight and if I leave the tubes, I show them empty with a limp sock nearby. Your lucky they didn't take the bamboo, real lucky.

Joni

Reaction score
The bad thing is realizing it could be someone you know, or that knows you.
We had a Van with DARK Tinted windows and a couple of years ago, someone broke one of the small windows on the side and stole my precious (the rod that landed all my big fish) along with an English Battenkill LA and a spare spool, plus a sweatshirt. This was in our back yard, so I can't help but think it was someone that new me.
And of course I made it easier by using those rod tubes that hold rod and reel with enough space for that spool, so rod in one hand , sweatshirt in other, how easy was that! DANG-IT! Insurance came through however and it is now the Zero and Vosseler....oh yeah, and a car alarm!