Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Best all-around rod weight?

I want to invest in a high-quality fly rod and start getting serious, but I definetly don't have enough cash for multiple weight rods. I do not want to be too limited on the types and sizes of fish I can go after. I do alot of traveling and I am around many different areas with many different species of fish. What is the best weight to get to give me the widest variety of fishing capablities? It's all freshwater that I'm doing. Mostly medium size trout and bass. I decided on an Echo Carbon 9 ft rod with a G-Loomis Venture reel. Just can't figure out what weight will give me the greatest amount of options. Input is much appreciated .

Default Re: Best all-around rod weight?

6 wt. is my answer. I've seen guys post some good size fish down to some very small fish on this site that were caught on a 6 wt.

Quote Originally Posted by kfisher99 View Post
    I want to invest in a high-quality fly rod and start getting serious, but I definetly don't have enough cash for multiple weight rods. I do not want to be too limited on the types and sizes of fish I can go after. I do alot of traveling and I am around many different areas with many different species of fish. What is the best weight to get to give me the widest variety of fishing capablities? It's all freshwater that I'm doing. Mostly medium size trout and bass. I decided on an Echo Carbon 9 ft rod with a G-Loomis Venture reel. Just can't figure out what weight will give me the greatest amount of options. Input is much appreciated .
    5/6 wt rod is what I suspect would be ideal. Thats what I use here in the Midwest.If most of the fish I catch are 1-2 lbs. I have had a 3 lb Bass on and lost it of my own poor fish play. I needed to be more patient. I have used a 7/8 wt and it really is a great rod for carp, catfish and Bass of the larger 4-5 lb wieght. I say 5/6 wt would be the best because I suspect your fish to average 1-2 lbs. Please tell me I'm wrong.....hopefully they are larger (on average) then I would go 7/8 wt.

Hope that helps, Boser

Blog Entries

My vote;

9' 7 weight medium action:

Medium size creeks to large rivers East to West, easier to catch a small fish on a heavier rod than a heavier fish on a lighter rod. Use a long light leader for dry flies down to #20 and a short stout leader for big bass flies, streamers, and weighted offerings.

I have rods 3 - 9 weight and if I took only one on a cross country trip I would take one of the sevens.

You ask,

Ard

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

5. Likes eastfly66 liked this post
    okuma Guest

Since you're including bass in your fishing, I would say a 7. A 6 would work but, if you hook up with a carp(love carp fishing) they will eat you alive.

Blog Entries

I enjoy feeling the fight in the fish, so I would say a 6 or 7wt.

Anything over that and you lose feeling the fight on (my) typical sized fish and anything less and when you do latch into a big one you might overplay the fish and possibly kill it.

Like Ard said, I'd rather over-gun the fish than under-gun it.
    Anthony Laurence
    www.anthonylaurence.net
    Web Developement and Design
    FlyFishinado - My Fly Fishing Blog

If you're trout fishing for 14 inch +/- 5 inches, you don't want more of a stick than a 6 wt. For trout fishing, a 9 ft. 5 wt. is considered by some to be the best all around length and weight rod. It'll work for smallies too but may be a little light. A 7 wt. is way too much rod for me for trout fishing. I do use a 7 wt. for Steelhead.

White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone

Quote Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
    My vote;

9' 7 weight medium action:

Medium size creeks to large rivers East to West, easier to catch a small fish on a heavier rod than a heavier fish on a lighter rod. Use a long light leader for dry flies down to #20 and a short stout leader for big bass flies, streamers, and weighted offerings.

I have rods 3 - 9 weight and if I took only one on a cross country trip I would take one of the sevens.

You ask,

Ard
    As would I. NOW that said, if you can find a 5wt tip that will fit the 7wt (ya, ya, you have to play at your fly fishing shop or ask the manufacturer/seller for Ferrel info) you have the best of all worlds. First time I did that was a total accident, thank God 'A' would fit on 'B.' Soooo cool!
    fae
    When wealth is lost, nothing is lost; when health is lost, something is lost; when character is lost, all is lost. - Billy Graham"

Blog Entries

you WILL eventually build a quiver! we all have. 3, 5, 7, 9 would cover almost all the bases with the 5 and 7 being the workhorses. 3 for small streams, 9 for salt, stripers, etc... if you have to pick one weight, consider the size of: species, water, and flies you'll be using most often. milt.

The only rod I use is a 6wt avid. I mainly fish for trout and bass (occasionally other rough fish like redhorse suckers) with it and had no real problems so far. The only time I have felt under gunned was when I hooked into a steroid using carp from the wrong part of town, who when landed stole my wallet...

Cabot

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast