Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  5
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Blog Entries

Default Fishing with Kids-Brooktrout, Cutthroat, Wild fires, laughs, good-times\memories

Despite the smoke, we had a great fishing trip this past weekend. Lots of Cutthroat, Cutbows, Brook trout and even a few whitefish made it to the net.

This trip was done for my buddies 12 yr son. His request for a His birthday… An overnight fishing trip… I jumped at the opportunity. I now get as much satisfaction teaching other how to fish, than actually fishing myself.

Starting fishing Sat morning, my 11 yr, ties into a beautiful Cutthroat on a dry fly at the very beginning of the day… great way to start a fishing trip.

Sat evening, we were fishing some very small creeks. A big change of pace than hooking 15-20” fish, but for the kids, catching a 6” trout is just as exciting. While fishing, we could hear thunder cracks in the distance. No visible lighting, but the storm was approaching. My buddy and I joked about the wives being pissed if your youngsters got hit by lightning… We put the rods away, jumped into the truck and the downpour began… We stopped to chat with an Elk hunter, (no luck yet) and continued down the road about ¼ mile. Then we saw the lightning strike that hit a large Ponderosa Pine. The tree immediately blew up into flames. We watched the fire spread for about 10 minutes and then went for help. This strike was less than a 1 mile as a crow fly’s, from camp.

We knew there were fire camps in the area as this fire season in the West… A few miles down the road, we got lucky and found a crew. We told the fire crew where the fire was, and within 10 minutes of us being back at camp, we heard and saw Helicopters dropping water on the fire. Only about 6-8 bucket dumps and the fire was out.

Woke up to a great breakfast of pancakes, bacon and eggs… Prepared mostly by the boys.

The trip was a huge success. The boys learned a little about fly fishing, a lot about having fun. Lots of laughs, giggles and memories made.

2. Likes ejsell, djb_88, flybri2, hoodink liked this post

Default Re: Fishing with Kids-Brooktrout, Cutthroat, Wild fires, laughs, good-times\memories

Looks like a lot of fun for your boys and you. Hope the fire was put out.

Default Re: Fishing with Kids-Brooktrout, Cutthroat, Wild fires, laughs, good-times\memories

Looks like great fun! Go Pats

Everything about this report is perfect except for the Pat's gear.
    Adoption is Amazing

6. Likes CutThroat Leaders liked this post