The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > >

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  111
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Old 09-15-2017, 07:01 PM

mjkirshner has a spectacular aura aboutmjkirshner has a spectacular aura aboutmjkirshner has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: High Price of Top Rods & Reels

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpwhitejr View Post
Yeah, if I remember correctly you are discussing use value vs exchange value. Maybe it is summarized best in The Treasure of the Sierra Madre: "Water's precious. Sometimes may be more precious than gold."
Yes. Some things have value based solely on aesthetic qualities, like gems or art. Other things have value based only on utility; no one buys a hammer because it is beautiful, and a hammer can be very valuable to someone with a nail. Some things have value based on the enjoyment they provide, like golf clubs or a tennis racket; unless you are a pro golfer or tennis player, in which case those things can be your livelihood. Something like a fly rod can have value based on both enjoyment and utility: it only has value to someone who enjoys fly fishing... unless you need to catch a fish in order to survive, which could make it more valuable than gold.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes hairwing530 liked this post
Old 09-15-2017, 08:16 PM

yikes has a brilliant futureyikes has a brilliant futureyikes has a brilliant futureyikes has a brilliant futureyikes has a brilliant futureyikes has a brilliant futureyikes has a brilliant futureyikes has a brilliant futureyikes has a brilliant futureyikes has a brilliant futureyikes has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkirshner View Post
no one buys a hammer because it is beautiful
With the internet, you can never say never.
Click the image to open in full size.
Likes hairwing530 liked this post
Old 09-16-2017, 05:12 AM

eastfly66 has a brilliant futureeastfly66 has a brilliant futureeastfly66 has a brilliant futureeastfly66 has a brilliant futureeastfly66 has a brilliant futureeastfly66 has a brilliant futureeastfly66 has a brilliant futureeastfly66 has a brilliant futureeastfly66 has a brilliant futureeastfly66 has a brilliant futureeastfly66 has a brilliant future

Quote:
no one buys a hammer because it is beautiful,

This :

Equals $$$ and I don't have to talk to anyone all day long , I think that is a beautiful thing.
Likes hairwing530, dean_mt liked this post
Old 09-16-2017, 10:34 AM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute

Not to pile on your hammer analogy, because we know what you mean. But I kind of have a thing for hammers. I love their perfect functionality, the work they do, what they represent... I'm getting weird now aren't I?

Anyway, along with all that I love the aesthetics of a hammer and have long been particularly fond of the Hart hammer. Such pretty lines, well balanced, and still a workhorse.

Old 09-16-2017, 12:22 PM

GrtLksMarlin has a brilliant futureGrtLksMarlin has a brilliant futureGrtLksMarlin has a brilliant futureGrtLksMarlin has a brilliant futureGrtLksMarlin has a brilliant futureGrtLksMarlin has a brilliant futureGrtLksMarlin has a brilliant futureGrtLksMarlin has a brilliant futureGrtLksMarlin has a brilliant futureGrtLksMarlin has a brilliant futureGrtLksMarlin has a brilliant future

Quote:
Other things have value based only on utility; no one buys a hammer because it is beautiful, and a hammer can be very valuable to someone with a nail.
Quote:
Originally Posted by yikes View Post
With the internet, you can never say never.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastfly66 View Post
This :Equals $$$ and I don't have to talk to anyone all day long , I think that is a beautiful thing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_mt View Post
Not to pile on your hammer analogy, because we know what you mean. But I kind of have a thing for hammers. I love their perfect functionality, the work they do, what they represent... I'm getting weird now aren't I?

Anyway, along with all that I love the aesthetics of a hammer and have long been particularly fond of the Hart hammer. Such pretty lines, well balanced, and still a workhorse.
Okay, you fellas brought this on yourselves.

There was a time (pun warning) when this hammer was worth a lot of money.

We now return you to the regularly scheduled fly-rod debate

B.E.F.

-To conserve and protect our sporting outdoor heritage
----through responsible wildlife and natural resource
---------stewardship, and educated ethical use.
Likes el jefe liked this post
Old 09-16-2017, 12:44 PM

myt1 has much to be proud ofmyt1 has much to be proud ofmyt1 has much to be proud ofmyt1 has much to be proud ofmyt1 has much to be proud ofmyt1 has much to be proud ofmyt1 has much to be proud ofmyt1 has much to be proud ofmyt1 has much to be proud ofmyt1 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
It ain't the wand, it's the wizard
I actually heard the same quote related to a certain part of the male anatomy.