Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  128
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Default Re: High Price of Top Rods & Reels

Quote Originally Posted by gpwhitejr View Post
    Yeah, if I remember correctly you are discussing use value vs exchange value. Maybe it is summarized best in The Treasure of the Sierra Madre: "Water's precious. Sometimes may be more precious than gold."
    Yes. Some things have value based solely on aesthetic qualities, like gems or art. Other things have value based only on utility; no one buys a hammer because it is beautiful, and a hammer can be very valuable to someone with a nail. Some things have value based on the enjoyment they provide, like golf clubs or a tennis racket; unless you are a pro golfer or tennis player, in which case those things can be your livelihood. Something like a fly rod can have value based on both enjoyment and utility: it only has value to someone who enjoys fly fishing... unless you need to catch a fish in order to survive, which could make it more valuable than gold.

2. Likes hairwing530, fredaevans liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by mjkirshner View Post
    no one buys a hammer because it is beautiful
    With the internet, you can never say never.
    There's not a day that goes by that I don't wonder how dreary this world would be if elk were bald and birds had no feathers.
    - Hank Patterson

4. Likes hairwing530, karstopo liked this post

no one buys a hammer because it is beautiful,

This :

Equals $$$ and I don't have to talk to anyone all day long , I think that is a beautiful thing.

6. Likes hairwing530, dean_mt, fredaevans liked this post

Not to pile on your hammer analogy, because we know what you mean. But I kind of have a thing for hammers. I love their perfect functionality, the work they do, what they represent... I'm getting weird now aren't I?

Anyway, along with all that I love the aesthetics of a hammer and have long been particularly fond of the Hart hammer. Such pretty lines, well balanced, and still a workhorse.

8. Likes karstopo liked this post

Other things have value based only on utility; no one buys a hammer because it is beautiful, and a hammer can be very valuable to someone with a nail.
    Quote Originally Posted by yikes View Post
    With the internet, you can never say never.
    Quote Originally Posted by eastfly66 View Post
    This :Equals $$$ and I don't have to talk to anyone all day long , I think that is a beautiful thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by dean_mt View Post
    Not to pile on your hammer analogy, because we know what you mean. But I kind of have a thing for hammers. I love their perfect functionality, the work they do, what they represent... I'm getting weird now aren't I?

Anyway, along with all that I love the aesthetics of a hammer and have long been particularly fond of the Hart hammer. Such pretty lines, well balanced, and still a workhorse.
    Okay, you fellas brought this on yourselves.

There was a time (pun warning) when this hammer was worth a lot of money.

We now return you to the regularly scheduled fly-rod debate

B.E.F.

-To conserve and protect our sporting outdoor heritage
    ----through responsible wildlife and natural resource
    ---------stewardship, and educated ethical use.

Quote Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
    It ain't the wand, it's the wizard
    I actually heard the same quote related to a certain part of the male anatomy.

I buy good stuff no matter what it is. The only difference is that I enjoy buying fly rods and hate buying essential life junk like cell phone, work clothes or....the WORST...dental crowns.

Unfortunately, I do think cell phones are super important. I am bit disorganized. It takes me a month to get to the bank to cash a check. A few months to get important baby stuff that makes my life easier. A year to send my excise tax in with a hand written check. Now I can do all of that on my phone on lunch. Well worth the 1000 bucks. I don't own one yet but when this phone craps out, I'll succumb.

I guess it's the same a junk fly rod. Sweetandsalt, you can't convince me that you won't catch fish with a $30 rod. But it's going to be a lot more fun to dream about the Asquith for the months leading up to the purchase. The day of the purchase will be better than Christmas. Lawn casting it, maiden voyage, first bonefish, trip report for all of us. It will all be a little sweeter with the Asquith.

In the end the phone is worth it and so is the rod. Go buy the rod! We want a full analysis and trip report!

12. Likes winstonwt, Hirdy liked this post

I don't have a spare grand so I don't care.

14. Likes karstopo, Joey Bagels liked this post

Last edited by hatidua; 09-25-2017 at 08:56 PM.

16. Likes karstopo liked this post
  17. Default Re: High Price of Top Rods & Reels

Quote Originally Posted by brokeoff View Post
    I buy good stuff no matter what it is. The only difference is that I enjoy buying fly rods and hate buying essential life junk like cell phone, work clothes or....the WORST...dental crowns.
    This may be an example of my economic philosophy of least-badism. See, some products and services you can rate on a scale of how good they are: cars, fly rods, power tools, etc. You can say "I love my ___!"

On the other hand, there are products and services among which you choose the least bad alternative: software, cable service, cell service, air travel, etc. Does anyone ever say "I love my cable company!"?

(Corollary: Why do flight attendants always say "We hope you enjoyed your flight"? If they were honest they would say "We hope you tolerated your flight with a minimum of discomfort.")

18. Likes fredaevans liked this post
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456