Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  5

Default Do tippet rings float well?

Hi All,

I'm cheap as heck. I don't like cutting off a bit of leader when I need new tippet.

I'm pretty new to fly fishing and so far I like to fish with small flies/poppers that float.

Is it fairly easy to get tippet rings to float? Should I not go above a certain size ring?

I've seen a paste floatant that said it helped rings float. Will a product like Gink help a tippet ring float?

Harry
    9' 5wt. outfit. Now also a used 9' 8wt outfit.
    Brand new to fly fishing. Full of ridiculous questions. But I want to learn.

Default Re: Do tippet rings float well?

They float as well as air craft carriers......
    Mainline the blueline

The small ones (2.0 mm) float fine. 1.5 mm does, too, but they're really tiny and hard to use.
    Today is always the first day of the rest of your life.
    Use it wisely.

Paul

4. Likes harryhh liked this post

Thanks plecain.

Blog Entries

I've only been using tippet rings for about three years now, so take this with a grain of salt.

The rings, being metal, don't really float. Rather it's the treated leader/tippet that floats, and the ring being so small and light is just going along for the ride. And I've never treated my tippet rings with floatant. And I've never had a problem with the ring sinking. And I fish primarily dries/terrestrials.

And trust me, if that was a problem, I wouldn't use them. I'm way, WAY too impatient for that sort of thing.

And you don't want to tie the rings onto your leader while you're on the water. You tie them on either at home or while you're getting your gear ready at the truck.

Most come on some kind of safety pin, so you separate the first one from the others while they're still on the safety pin and tie your leader onto it. Only after you've tied the leader on, do you take the ring off the pin. It's pretty much impossible to tie a tippet ring on once you've taken it off the pin. I think I did it once. Just Once. Never did that again.

The easiest way to accomplish this (for me) is simply to hold the rings between my thumb and first fingertip, with the pin pointed up (safety pin is still closed). Then turn my hand so the pin is pointed down and use a fingernail/whatever from my other hand to carefully pull one ring down and away from the others. Now take leader/tippet and push through ring. Now tie whatever terminal knot suits your fancy, and remove ring from safety pin. Tie on tippet. Clip tag ends. Done.

Peace.
    "Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn." ~Chuck Clark

7. Likes irideaduck liked this post

Here's the deal.

Whether a tippet ring floats by itself is NOT the issue since it is never used alone. A tippet ring has leader on one side and tippet on the other. So in effect, it has floatation "pontoons" on each side.

Although a tippet ring by itself can float due to surface tension, the floatation of the leader and tippet adds to that. Ask yourself why fly fishers buy sinkants like Xink, Xunk, and Snake River Mud. The answer is that the natural tendency of leaders is to float and not to sink. So surfactants are used to destroy surface tension.

For me the issue is not the floatation of tippet rings. Rather, it is the fact that larger tippet rings produce a larger floatation footprint on the meniscus and therefore a a larger "anchor" point the can limit the drag free drift. I think this effect is minimal and so I use tippet rings that allow me to thread them more easily. An inside diameter of 2-2.5 mm is good.
    Last edited by silver creek; 09-13-2017 at 05:00 PM.
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

9. Likes harryhh, jaywar liked this post

Thanks rangerrich99,

I have one of those 3 in 1 knot tying tools. They have a small magnet in them that holds a fly by the hook eye. There is a small grove in the plastic handle that leads to the eye. You slide your line in the groove and it directs the line through the hook eye. Works well.

I wonder if such a thing would help in tying on these little tippet rings? Maybe separate one ring from the others and let it stick to the magnet. Slide the ring off the safety pin still stuck to the knot tying tool and then thread it with the line. Maybe there would be a problem with the magnet making the ring stick to the safety pin also.

If I get me some rings, I'll try it. And I'll try to remember to post the results too.

Harry

---------- Post added at 05:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:07 PM ----------

Hi silver,

I have trouble getting a cork popper to float!

I fish Cutthroat Leaders Furled Leaders with Tippet Rings exclusively. Rings sinking has never been a problem for me.

12. Likes CutThroat Leaders liked this post