The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > >

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  4
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Old 09-15-2017, 03:23 PM

stoneflylama72 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: More Technical: Delaware River system or Soho?

Haven't been to the Soho (South Holston) in a few years. It's a regular tailwater for this area. Big river with cold water year round. I never did too well there but I know it can be good from local reports. Since I went last they have stopped stocking brown trout there. They have been naturally reproducing which is different from other tailwaters. I guess big wild Browns taking little bitty flies in a large, rather slow, clear River is technical. Depending on which section of the river you fish there are areas very similar on a couple other tailwaters here too.
Old 09-15-2017, 08:16 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: More Technical: Delaware River system or Soho?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokeoff View Post
Not to hijack the thread, but what is the definition of technical dry fly fishing? I see it mostly used in advertising.

Also, what are the premier technical fisheries in the US?
I would define "technical" as the most difficult of fly fishing conditions:

1. Clear water with spring creek like conditions - this means weed beds which result in complex surface flows ---> extremely difficult to get a drag free drift. Example Henry's Fork of the Snake

2. Hi dissolved calcium meaning high aquatic fertility/fecundity so there are many, many, many aquatic insects and hatches ----> so the fish are not starved and feed selectively in very narrow feeding lanes and rhythm so the cast not only has to be accurate and drag free but also has to be timed so the fly is there to match the feeding rhythm. Example Silver Creek

3. The fishery is heavily and regularly fished by the best fly fishers ---> contains spooky fish. Example - I once tried to fish a technical section of the South Platte. I was on my knees to sneak up to feeding rainbows in a pool. I raised my rod to cast, and the fish spooked even before I made a backcast.

4. The fishery requires long leaders and long tippets. The fish spook if they see a leader or tippet before the fly. So accurate casts are more difficult downstream casts are mandatory. Example Silvercreek where 14 - 15 ft leaders with 4 ft 6X tippets and downstream casts are relatively common.

5. There are big fish present so there must be skill in fighting a larger fish on thin tippets.

6. There are multiple overlapping hatches, eg, a masking hatch ----> so the angler must have the skill to deduce (a) what hatch the target fish is feeding on, (b) what stage of the hatch the fish is taking, (c) what fly to use, and (d) how to fish it.

A technical fishery requires extreme physical and mental ability to catch fish in the most difficult of conditions.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes sweetandsalt liked this post