Thanks Thanks:  7
Likes Likes:  170
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 85

Thread: NAFFF sticker

  1. #41

    Default Re: NAFFF sticker

    Just some personal observations from investigating similar things.

    First off as to the shape, as Brook-Rookie pointed out, an odd shaped sticker like a trout (regardless of whether they have a die already made or not) will incur significant cost increases. More than that the salt guys will be asking "well where is the Tarpon one," and then Adblouky will be wanting his "mudflap girl" shaped one (though granted, good call there ).

    Secondly as Lacanadio mentions, sharp points, corners and so on will come unglued first. Even a square/rectangle sticker will be more prone to peeling than a circle or oval in that it is just a continuous edge.

    Third, one color printing (and one color background) is cheapest. Each additional color increases that price, and often for not much more benefit.

    Fourth, one aspect not mentioned is the background, a particular color (any color) will have some folks stating it doesn't match their truck/boat/etc. However, I have found that a transparent background has benefits.
    1. They match anything they're put on in that its color shows through.
    2. They go well on a window.
    3. You can have that odd shape (like a trout) yet it is done via printing, the sticker itself still possibly say just oval, and what you'll see primarily is the printed shape.

    Lastly as to using NAFFF alone and leaving it a mystery, that has value as Ard points out (though my bet is on that AKBF = him claiming to be an Alaska Boy Friend) yet if folks opted for such, I'd still add a "fly graphic" so it is not too much of a mystery... I mean lets face it, we're not all rocket scientists and the way some of us drink we're lucky to remember our name let alone what NAFFF means.

    Finally, though size matters, this is not one of those cases. If an oval is chosen, personally I'd not have it much larger than a 4" width.

    Just some thoughts FWIW.

    B.E.F.

    -To conserve and protect our sporting outdoor heritage
    ----through responsible wildlife and natural resource
    ---------stewardship, and educated ethical use.

  2. Thanks brook rookie thanked for this post
    Likes hairwing530, timmah liked this post
  3. #42
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Eastern Iowa
    Posts
    6,435

    Default Re: NAFFF sticker

    Quote Originally Posted by Ard View Post
    I like the NAFFF plain without additional guidance as to the meaning. Kind of a make them think about it thing............... Those who are participants will recognize the acronym and those who don't may ask. I just need additional stickers for my console because I may repaint the interior of the boat next year. Here in Alaska a AKBF sticker might go well. I'll let ia_trouter figure that one out.
    And I believe I have already, but as you know I don't like to cause controversy around here lol.

  4. Likes Ard, hairwing530 liked this post
  5. #43
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Columbia, MO
    Posts
    2,096
    Blog Entries
    8

    Default Re: NAFFF sticker

    Quote Originally Posted by GrtLksMarlin View Post
    Just some personal observations from investigating similar things.

    First off as to the shape, as Brook-Rookie pointed out, an odd shaped sticker like a trout (regardless of whether they have a die already made or not) will incur significant cost increases. More than that the salt guys will be asking "well where is the Tarpon one," and then Adblouky will be wanting his "mudflap girl" shaped one (though granted, good call there ).

    Secondly as Lacanadio mentions, sharp points, corners and so on will come unglued first. Even a square/rectangle sticker will be more prone to peeling than a circle or oval in that it is just a continuous edge.

    Third, one color printing (and one color background) is cheapest. Each additional color increases that price, and often for not much more benefit.

    Fourth, one aspect not mentioned is the background, a particular color (any color) will have some folks stating it doesn't match their truck/boat/etc. However, I have found that a transparent background has benefits.
    1. They match anything they're put on in that its color shows through.
    2. They go well on a window.
    3. You can have that odd shape (like a trout) yet it is done via printing, the sticker itself still possibly say just oval, and what you'll see primarily is the printed shape.

    Lastly as to using NAFFF alone and leaving it a mystery, that has value as Ard points out (though my bet is on that AKBF = him claiming to be an Alaska Boy Friend) yet if folks opted for such, I'd still add a "fly graphic" so it is not too much of a mystery... I mean lets face it, we're not all rocket scientists and the way some of us drink we're lucky to remember our name let alone what NAFFF means.

    Finally, though size matters, this is not one of those cases. If an oval is chosen, personally I'd not have it much larger than a 4" width.

    Just some thoughts FWIW.

    B.E.F.
    Agree with almost everything GrtLksMarlin says. He is spot on on color and shape adding cost. Also on odd shapes or even squares coming unglued. And non-trout people might feel slighted. I also agree 4" is the a good size.

    I don't like the idea of it being clear. I would prefer a simple black on white.

    I kind of like not having the name of the forum spelled out. As Ard says, only members really know what it is and it will force others to look it up.

    And finally, I really like the silhouette of the fly at the bottom. I was actually looking for an image on the internet when this first came out.

    And while I'm here, I want to thank Iacanadio for coming up with this. Well done, Bob!

    Thanks,
    steve
    "Nothing is as bad as something that is not so bad"...Sr. Percival Blakeney, aka The Scarlet Pimpernel

  6. Thanks lacanadio thanked for this post
  7. #44
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Eastern Iowa
    Posts
    6,435

    Default Re: NAFFF sticker

    Maybe throw up a poll when you get settled on a few choices?

    I don't like the idea to kill the North American.... text but it won't ruin my life as long as it has a fly or something on it so I don't have to tell people "no I am not a fire fighter" every day.

  8. Likes hairwing530, timmah, fredaevans liked this post
  9. #45
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Santa Fe, NM
    Posts
    1,531

    Default Re: NAFFF sticker

    Easy enough to drop the "The North...", and keep the NAFFF and the fly.

    Black on white works well for the supplier. The stickers that I ordered as proof of concept, once off the backing, are 4.5" wide by 3" tall. Too big? They look good to me from a dimensional standpoint.

    Thanks,
    Bob

  10. Likes hairwing530, mcnerney, spm liked this post
  11. #46

    Default Re: NAFFF sticker

    Quote Originally Posted by lacanadio View Post
    Easy enough to drop the "The North...", and keep the NAFFF and the fly.

    Black on white works well for the supplier. The stickers that I ordered as proof of concept, once off the backing, are 4.5" wide by 3" tall. Too big? They look good to me from a dimensional standpoint.

    Thanks,
    Bob
    Sounds great! I will want a few
    Dave Watts
    dmwphoto@mac.com

    To me, the journey of learning is almost more fun than arriving at the destination of knowing.

  12. Likes hairwing530 liked this post
  13. #47
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Columbia, MO
    Posts
    2,096
    Blog Entries
    8

    Default Re: NAFFF sticker

    Quote Originally Posted by lacanadio View Post
    The stickers that I ordered as proof of concept, once off the backing, are 4.5" wide by 3" tall. Too big? They look good to me from a dimensional standpoint.

    Thanks,
    Bob
    4.5"x3" oval? I don't think that would be too big. I wouldn't want it any bigger.

    steve
    "Nothing is as bad as something that is not so bad"...Sr. Percival Blakeney, aka The Scarlet Pimpernel

  14. Likes fredaevans, hairwing530 liked this post
  15. #48
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Santa Fe, NM
    Posts
    1,531

    Default Re: NAFFF sticker

    OK - here's the sticker with the wording removed...


  16. Likes dmwphoto, spm, hairwing530, brook rookie liked this post
  17. #49
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Columbia, MO
    Posts
    2,096
    Blog Entries
    8

    Default Re: NAFFF sticker




    I hate to do this to you, Bob. After seeing the non-verbiage version, I like this one much better. It looks more professional, better balanced. Visually, it's more attractive. IMHO, you have a winner, here.

    Sorry, Ard.

    Thanks,
    steve
    "Nothing is as bad as something that is not so bad"...Sr. Percival Blakeney, aka The Scarlet Pimpernel

  18. Likes ia_trouter, hairwing530, timmah, geordie41 liked this post
  19. #50
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Eastern Iowa
    Posts
    6,435

    Default Re: NAFFF sticker

    Quote Originally Posted by spm View Post



    I hate to do this to you, Bob. After seeing the non-verbiage version, I like this one much better. It looks more professional, better balanced. Visually, it's more attractive. IMHO, you have a winner, here.

    Sorry, Ard.

    Thanks,
    steve
    I love it too but it's not all about me. Need to sell it to more than the dozen that posted this thread.

  20. Likes hairwing530 liked this post
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Please NAFFF
    By itchmesir in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 12-16-2016, 03:29 PM
  2. The NAFFF ....wet
    By jpbfly in forum Share Patterns
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-14-2013, 02:04 AM
  3. Another New NAFFF Member Hello
    By rkymtn in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 09-07-2012, 12:26 AM
  4. New to NAFFF
    By troutfishr in forum Saltwater Fly Fishing
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-03-2011, 03:04 PM
  5. Hello to everyone at NAFFF
    By Flyfishnick in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-21-2009, 02:32 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •