Which reel for a Sage TXL 0 or 1 wt?

DawgU

Reaction score
I'm new to the forum, but I tried to search and came up empty.

It's my 20th anniversary, and I'm getting a new toy. Looking very hard at the TXL 0 or 1 weight rod, and looking for the best reel to match it. Considering the Ross Evolution, Sage 3100, or the Lamson Litespeed (or any other suggestions you might have). This time my honey says price doesn't matter - get something you'll treasure for another 20 years!!

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi DawgU,

I think you might add the Galvan OB-1 to your list. It has an unbelievably smooth drag. Galvan is my favorite Trout reel. It is only 2 3/4" diameter.

The Ross Evolution is a great reel but I don't like the incoming click. The Lamson Litespeed is another great reel but I don't like the way the spool is held into the frame. It uses a rubber "O" ring to hold the spool in place. It does fit very tight but I don't like the design. That doesn't mean that the design is not good. It is simply personal choice. I don't know anything about the Sage 3100.

You will be happy with the Galvan, Ross or Lampson.

Galvan Open Back Reel

OB-1 (2.75) Diameter
3/4" Width
3.9 oz Weight
WF-2-F 50 yd
WF-3-F 30 yd

Fish Bones

Reaction score
Frank is right... that Galvan OB-1 is hard to beat. I use it on my G.Loomis Stream Dance 2wt rod.

I ordered a Sage TXL 000wt for my personal use and got the Hardy Lightweight Featherweight reel to go with it. I chose the reel for the size (2.5" dia) and weight (2.75 oz). This makes a very nice combo.

DawgU

Reaction score
Thanks! Any other input would be greatly appreciated.

Fish Bones: How do you like the 000? I'm still trying to decide which weight to buy. What kind of fishing do you do with it? What kinds of flys are you unable to cast with it? I've thought about going all the way down to the 000, but I do plan to get in to some decent sized fish. Can it handle a 1 1/2lb trout?

plland

Reaction score
It wouldn't have come up in a search since TXL, 0wt, fly, and rod are all 3 letter words and excluded by the search engine, but there's been some discussion about this topic before. See: http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/f18/reel-choice-0-00wt-rod-3684.html

I think your best bet would be an Orvis Battenkill Barstock. It has a smooth drag, is lighter than the Ross Evolution, and with enough backing the coil sizes are not much smaller than a true large arbor reel (for a 0wt line).

tlcrep

Reaction score
It wouldn't have come up in a search since TXL, 0wt, fly, and rod are all 3 letter words and excluded by the search engine, but there's been some discussion about this topic before. See: http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/f18/reel-choice-0-00wt-rod-3684.html

I think your best bet would be an Orvis Battenkill Barstock. It has a smooth drag, is lighter than the Ross Evolution, and with enough backing the coil sizes are not much smaller than a true large arbor reel (for a 0wt line).

Doesnt that reel have a plastic one way clutch? I would say go with either the Hardy light weight (even tho I gag at a korean reel being sold for $400), a Abel, or while it might be too heavy tryout a tibor light.

Fish Bones

Reaction score
Fish Bones: How do you like the 000? I'm still trying to decide which weight to buy. What kind of fishing do you do with it? What kinds of flys are you unable to cast with it? I've thought about going all the way down to the 000, but I do plan to get in to some decent sized fish. Can it handle a 1 1/2lb trout?
I use the 000 on small streams and small fish. I can throw a size 14 dry fly far enough for small stream fishing. 8 to 10 inch fish are a blast. I really love this rod. It will handle a 1.5 pound fish... but like any set-up there is a such thing as playing a trout too long.

I also use a longer 2wt rod for small streams and it works well also. The smaller fish are not as fun but the extra lengths allows me to mend better and extend the drag free drift.

You might be interested in this article before purchasing a small stream rod. Read More

plland

Reaction score
Doesnt that reel have a plastic one way clutch? I would say go with either the Hardy light weight (even tho I gag at a korean reel being sold for $400), a Abel, or while it might be too heavy tryout a tibor light.
I have no idea. However, I've used a couple Orvis reels over the years and they all had very smooth drags. The Ross Cimarron has a plastic clicker, but of all my reels, I think I prefer the sound of its clicker the most.