Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. Default Which reel for a Sage TXL 0 or 1 wt?

    I'm new to the forum, but I tried to search and came up empty.

    It's my 20th anniversary, and I'm getting a new toy. Looking very hard at the TXL 0 or 1 weight rod, and looking for the best reel to match it. Considering the Ross Evolution, Sage 3100, or the Lamson Litespeed (or any other suggestions you might have). This time my honey says price doesn't matter - get something you'll treasure for another 20 years!!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    5,392

    Default Re: Which reel for a Sage TXL 0 or 1 wt?

    Hi DawgU,

    I think you might add the Galvan OB-1 to your list. It has an unbelievably smooth drag. Galvan is my favorite Trout reel. It is only 2 3/4" diameter.

    The Ross Evolution is a great reel but I don't like the incoming click. The Lamson Litespeed is another great reel but I don't like the way the spool is held into the frame. It uses a rubber "O" ring to hold the spool in place. It does fit very tight but I don't like the design. That doesn't mean that the design is not good. It is simply personal choice. I don't know anything about the Sage 3100.

    You will be happy with the Galvan, Ross or Lampson.


    Galvan Open Back Reel

    OB-1 (2.75) Diameter
    3/4" Width
    3.9 oz Weight
    WF-2-F 50 yd
    WF-3-F 30 yd



  3. Default Re: Which reel for a Sage TXL 0 or 1 wt?

    Frank is right... that Galvan OB-1 is hard to beat. I use it on my G.Loomis Stream Dance 2wt rod.

    I ordered a Sage TXL 000wt for my personal use and got the Hardy Lightweight Featherweight reel to go with it. I chose the reel for the size (2.5" dia) and weight (2.75 oz). This makes a very nice combo.

  4. Default Re: Which reel for a Sage TXL 0 or 1 wt?

    Thanks! Any other input would be greatly appreciated.

    Fish Bones: How do you like the 000? I'm still trying to decide which weight to buy. What kind of fishing do you do with it? What kinds of flys are you unable to cast with it? I've thought about going all the way down to the 000, but I do plan to get in to some decent sized fish. Can it handle a 1 1/2lb trout?

  5. #5

    Default Re: Which reel for a Sage TXL 0 or 1 wt?

    It wouldn't have come up in a search since TXL, 0wt, fly, and rod are all 3 letter words and excluded by the search engine, but there's been some discussion about this topic before. See: http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/fo...-rod-3684.html

    I think your best bet would be an Orvis Battenkill Barstock. It has a smooth drag, is lighter than the Ross Evolution, and with enough backing the coil sizes are not much smaller than a true large arbor reel (for a 0wt line).
    The other flies, n., pl.
    1. dry flies, nymphs, emergers, terrestrials, streamers, etc.
    2. What I use when a black #10 woolly bugger isn't catching.

  6. Default Re: Which reel for a Sage TXL 0 or 1 wt?

    Quote Originally Posted by plland View Post
    It wouldn't have come up in a search since TXL, 0wt, fly, and rod are all 3 letter words and excluded by the search engine, but there's been some discussion about this topic before. See: http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/fo...-rod-3684.html

    I think your best bet would be an Orvis Battenkill Barstock. It has a smooth drag, is lighter than the Ross Evolution, and with enough backing the coil sizes are not much smaller than a true large arbor reel (for a 0wt line).

    Doesnt that reel have a plastic one way clutch? I would say go with either the Hardy light weight (even tho I gag at a korean reel being sold for $400), a Abel, or while it might be too heavy tryout a tibor light.

  7. Default Re: Which reel for a Sage TXL 0 or 1 wt?

    Quote Originally Posted by DawgU View Post
    Fish Bones: How do you like the 000? I'm still trying to decide which weight to buy. What kind of fishing do you do with it? What kinds of flys are you unable to cast with it? I've thought about going all the way down to the 000, but I do plan to get in to some decent sized fish. Can it handle a 1 1/2lb trout?
    I use the 000 on small streams and small fish. I can throw a size 14 dry fly far enough for small stream fishing. 8 to 10 inch fish are a blast. I really love this rod. It will handle a 1.5 pound fish... but like any set-up there is a such thing as playing a trout too long.

    I also use a longer 2wt rod for small streams and it works well also. The smaller fish are not as fun but the extra lengths allows me to mend better and extend the drag free drift.

    You might be interested in this article before purchasing a small stream rod. Read More

  8. #8

    Default Re: Which reel for a Sage TXL 0 or 1 wt?

    Quote Originally Posted by tlcrep View Post
    Doesnt that reel have a plastic one way clutch? I would say go with either the Hardy light weight (even tho I gag at a korean reel being sold for $400), a Abel, or while it might be too heavy tryout a tibor light.
    I have no idea. However, I've used a couple Orvis reels over the years and they all had very smooth drags. The Ross Cimarron has a plastic clicker, but of all my reels, I think I prefer the sound of its clicker the most.
    The other flies, n., pl.
    1. dry flies, nymphs, emergers, terrestrials, streamers, etc.
    2. What I use when a black #10 woolly bugger isn't catching.

Similar Threads

  1. Mother Lode fishing report (Calaveras Enterprise)
    By Fish Bones in forum The Daily Papers
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-26-2008, 12:58 AM
  2. newbee
    By bulldog in forum Member Introductions
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-16-2008, 01:50 PM
  3. Fly Fishing Knots
    By tie one on in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-08-2008, 10:07 PM
  4. Newby needs help
    By hunter991 in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-27-2007, 09:02 PM
  5. Flooding on Trout Rivers in North East?
    By Troutlassie124 in forum Northeast
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-16-2006, 09:12 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •