Back home from work and travel into a storm

drifter84

Reaction score
Back home now and walked into a real situation. My fishing buddy for years just told me he was diagnosed with terminal cancer. This guy is an expert rod builder and his stuff is unbelievable. He has collections of cane rods and float reels, float rods he built like I never seen before, its so sad. He is holding up pretty good and told me he will be selling everything and use the money to go see his grandkids in Ireland and his brother in Cyprus, he said this stuff means nothing to him now. I offered to help him out but not sure what I can do.

I posted on a couple of other sites and got some feedback but the problem I have is how do you deal with the sickness and watch your fishing buddy pass away.

One thing he has going for him he is a stubborn SOB sometimes and I am sure that will help when he starts some of the bad treatment, he has just done the 5 days of radiation at an intense level, he is in agony now. Had over 17 scans of all kinds and they found it in his lung (non smoker) and his rib cage. He said the biopsy was complex and hurt like hell and now the radiation is just killing him.

He loves fly fishing for any fish, float fishing for any and now he sits there wishing, to much pain to go.

I may post some stuff for sale for him but not sure yet, he has no get up and go right now.

I am sure there are guys here that have been through this and can offer a little guidance on how I should react, its easy when its somebody you know casually but friends the equation sure changes.

Thanks for reading

Dan

brownbass

Reaction score
I am sorry for your situation. I lost my brother to cancer last January. He held out till after the holiday's so as not to ruin Christmas for his family. All I can say is, Be there for him and support his family. Do whatever you can to help relieve the stress, Mostly just listen and give them a shoulder to cry on if needed. It's a hard road we travel sometimes and all we can do is walk it.

My condolences,
Bill

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Dan
Sad news indeed! Treatment for cancer sure can be tough to endure, I sure hope it helps your fishing buddy. My first wife passed away in 2011 from brain cancer after undergoing 18 months of radiation and chemo.

Feel free to post up some of his fly fishing gear, our members will sure try to help him get to see his grandkids in Ireland.

pnc

Reaction score
Wish there was an answer for you. Unfortunately all are delt similar in life. Making the best out of situation will come from your instincts. Trust your own thoughts over those who don't know your friend.

...... pc

airborne 82nd

Reaction score
Tough situation you're going through I'm sorry , my thoughts and prayers to you, and his family ..went through this w/ my dad hardest thing ever , he was 53when cancer came , I'll be happy to help you're friend if it's a fundraiser or somthing so he can see his family .. as far as you , the honest thing I could suggest is just " listen "and be there , it's hard but listen and know he knows what's happening , sometimes just somebody to have a cup of coffee with is a big deal , perhaps talking flies , and fishing is hard for him knowing that's a part of his past he isn't able to enjoy , however being a buddy , Listening , sharing a coffee could be just as good for him , Good luck buddy hang in there , what you're going through is tough it sucks ... but be strong for you're buddy he will appreciate it

Airborne ( David) .

scotty macfly

Reaction score
Cancer sucks!! And I hope he beats it!

I know the radiation treatments are hard to take for many. I remember someone telling me the doctors are trying to ALMOST kill you so they can kill the cancer, then bring you back to health. I don't know about your friend, but hopefully he will hang on long enough that the doctors can kill the cancer and not him.

I agree with posting his rods on the forum to help him out.