Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Konic vs Okuma SLV

1. Default Konic vs Okuma SLV

Is there a significant performance difference between these two larger arbor reels? Konic is $120 and Okuma is $60. I've read good threads on both so I'm wondering why pay more.

This will be for a second rod that I'll buy...a 9' 6 wt that I'll use for nymphing, streamers on small to med. rivers mostly in AR. THanks.
    You can't catch 'em sleeping in bed!

2. Default Re: Konic vs Okuma SLV

Quote Originally Posted by ducktrooper View Post
    Is there a significant performance difference between these two larger arbor reels? Konic is $120 and Okuma is $60. I've read good threads on both so I'm wondering why pay more.

This will be for a second rod that I'll buy...a 9' 6 wt that I'll use for nymphing, streamers on small to med. rivers mostly in AR. THanks.
    Tell ya what, pay less. Either find the barstock reel thread, which is the best deal, or go here
    TICA Fishmaster S Standard Arbor Fly Fishing Reels
    Tica S machined aluminum (guess it is not barstock aluminum), for $48. Gets 5 stars in reviews.

3. Default Re: Konic vs Okuma SLV

Thanks....I couldn't find the barstock thread. The TICA looks like a great reel for the money.....why aren't more people using them? I did some searches and couldn't find any reviews. Are they an offshore import?
    You can't catch 'em sleeping in bed!

4. Default Re: Konic vs Okuma SLV

Quote Originally Posted by ducktrooper View Post
    Thanks....I couldn't find the barstock thread. The TICA looks like a great reel for the money.....why aren't more people using them? I did some searches and couldn't find any reviews. Are they an offshore import?
    Oh OF course they are made in China, as is the barstock thread.But more importantly The TiCa only has a one year warranty and the drag is not very dependable, and its one way clutch is not machined. Plus TiCa is headquartered in a third world country (China?)

Within a couple of weeks, their will be a 3/4 and 5/6 large arbor, cnc machined reel with a drag that in the reels bigger sizes can confidently handle big game fish like Tuna and Tarpon for just $100. And its drag wont blow up like the $179 Orvis Large arbor barstock will on big game fish.
    They will be made in the 3rd world but the company that sells them will be a USA company

Default Re: Konic vs Okuma SLV

Hi to all,

Here is a picture of the TICA reel. It is one of the China reels that claims that it is a machined reel. That could mean anything. The Hexagon holes in the spool are obviously put in with a punch machine. I would bet the parts are cast or pressure formed and trued up with some machining. You can see imperfections in the finish on the inside of the spool. But it is a $50 reel and you gets whats yous pays for.

Frank

TICA Reel

Default Re: Konic vs Okuma SLV

Frank, as a former New Yorker, it's "youse", not "yous" ("yous" would be the French version, as "vous"). I guess spell checks in Florida don't include New York syntax

Neil
    On the whole, I'd rather be in Wyoming . . .
    Fly2: