problem i ran into today

fly baller

Reaction score
i was on the river today with my new fly rod. ive only really flyfished a few times off a walmart set up, so im pretty new. anyway, i feel like my basic cast is pretty good, and i can mend line pretty well, but a situation came up today that messed with me.

i was fishin a decently fast part of the river. it only took about 10 feet from the shore for the water to get deep and possible hold trout, so i avoided going very far from the shore. i would cast upstream, and let my line float back down. problem is... it was impossible for me to get my line back upsteam without strippin in a bunch of line and slowly false casting back upstream. if that doesnt make sense... my drift would end downstream and i just simply couldnt get the fly upstream in one cast because i guess i was breakin the plane that my rod tip was on (not good right?)

my question is should i be using a different cast in this situation?... i only know of the standard overhead cast and the roll cast, which im not comfortable with right now.

also, any resources on situations that call for different casts? ive exhausted the youtube videos lol

troutdoorsman

Reaction score
For me, in that situation I would use the roll cast. Let the line load and fling it forward with the tip of your rod pointed at your target.

Joni

Reaction score
Same here, roll cats, but are you nymphing, emerging, or dry. A streamer is going to be tuff to get to the surface to roll cast, but can be done.

fly baller

Reaction score
im nymphing... if i roll cast, can i switch directions with the fly and still make a good cast?

Joni

Reaction score
I am not sure what you mean. I rented a DVD of spey casting. Funny thing is I took to it and even Dec Hogan said I was a natural. I find I do this allot on the rivers. I will pull the fly up infront of me then do the "D" and rollcast it, specially on fast water.
If you can get a Spey video either DVD or you tube, check it out and maybe that can help you also.

GeorgeMcFly

Reaction score
once you get the roll cast down its not so hard and it works great. it has worked for me in lots of situations especially with obstructions behind me. I have also just threw the rules out the window and went unorthidox and casted right handed but over my left shoulder and just cast upstream. can sometimes do it in one cast or by adding 1 false cast. if ya can imagine what I am saying. kinda hard to put in words. almost like you are back handing someone in ya can imagine that instead. lol. that also works for me. might not be a real cast but it does the job. hope ya take everyones advice and give it a try out on the river next time. this is how I learned. I am newer just like you.

tlcrep

Reaction score
i was on the river today with my new fly rod. ive only really flyfished a few times off a walmart set up, so im pretty new. anyway, i feel like my basic cast is pretty good, and i can mend line pretty well, but a situation came up today that messed with me.

i was fishin a decently fast part of the river. it only took about 10 feet from the shore for the water to get deep and possible hold trout, so i avoided going very far from the shore. i would cast upstream, and let my line float back down. problem is... it was impossible for me to get my line back upsteam without strippin in a bunch of line and slowly false casting back upstream. if that doesnt make sense... my drift would end downstream and i just simply couldnt get the fly upstream in one cast because i guess i was breakin the plane that my rod tip was on (not good right?)

my question is should i be using a different cast in this situation?... i only know of the standard overhead cast and the roll cast, which im not comfortable with right now.

also, any resources on situations that call for different casts? ive exhausted the youtube videos lol

end of cast where you cast to

So basically you are here

I would start at 9, and basically do a 180 degree cast. Even with 3 split shot and a bobber you can lob it 30 feet. Before you cast make sure the end of the cast is at the top of water column, point your rod at your fly and and do a 180 degree cast from end of cast to where you cast to.

tlcrep

Reaction score
ignore last one

end of cast where you cast to

So basically you are here

I would start at 9, and basically do a 180 degree cast. Even with 3 split shot and a bobber you can lob it 30 feet. Before you cast make sure the fly is at the top of the water , point your rod at your fly and and do a 180 degree cast from end of cast to where you cast to. It is not so much a cast but a arc motion.

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi fly baller,

This is a problem that all fly fishers have and eventually work out a system. Here are a couple of thoughts.

1. If you are dry fly fishing you can use a Belgium style cast. This is a constant pressure cast. You start facing down stream facing your fly. You have to make sure there is no slack in the line. You start a sidearm back cast out over the water but you keep pressure on the line and bring it back behind you in a circle with pressure on the fly line. You rotate you body with the rod and when you are facing up stream. The fly line should be behind you and you make a forward cast up stream. You are making a full arc cast and if you kept going your rod tip would make a 360 degree circle. The trick to this cast is keeping pressure on the tip of the rod at all times until you make a forward cast.

2. Here is another cast that works with subsurface flies. You are facing down stream and there is no slack in you fly line. Make your normal back cast and extend your arm toward the fly. As the fly line is un-rolling you make a 180 degree turn with your body and your back cast has turned into a forward cast. When the line has un-rolled you make a back cast and then forward cast to your target. With practice you can face the river with your fly downstream with no slack You reach across your body with your casting arm and start your back cast pointing your arm toward the fly at the end. Now you only have to pivot 90 degrees to be facing up stream. Make you back cast and deliver your fly. This is not hard but takes good timing. These directions are for a right hander with down stream at your left.

Frank

tlcrep

Reaction score
im nymphing... if i roll cast, can i switch directions with the fly and still make a good cast?

Hey Fly Baller, believe me if you are having problems dont roll cast!! Have your arm straight, rod pointed at the fly, and do a 180 degree arc so the fly lands directly upstream. Another solution is if you need to cast to a particuliar point, say A is where the fly is, x is where you are, y is where you want to get your fly, then get a turbo d-loop, then z is where you roll cast to

z
A
y

x
When you fly is at point A, lift your tip up, swing your rod over so the fly lands at point y, then swing back and around to energized roll cast position and cast over point y. your D loop will have a inverted v shape.

Not sure if X,y, z,A came out right, they do on my post, A is downstream. z is upstream where you want to cast to, y is in between where you are and where you want to cast to, at about the tip of your rod.

Still the easiest way to get your fly from way downstream to way up stream is () motion, only 180 degrees.