Rod/Reel Case question please

gordon in nc

Reaction score
Need some advice guys please ...

Need to buy a case to carry the rod and reel.

Have a 2 piece 8 1/2 ft. 6wt rod and a large arbor reel

None of the local stores have a case for a 2 pc. all are 3 or 4 .

Most big box stores have what I need .. just add stupid amount of $$$ for shipping ... arrrghhhhh.

Any suggestions on what I should look for OR stay away from ?

Your thoughts and experience will help a bunch ...

Thanks!

Later taters,

Gordon in NC

PS .. Tonight it's more NPR and Merlot wine ... ahhh, life is good

ant

Reaction score
My rods either came with a case OR I went cheap and made one out of PVC pipe.

Just measure the length and width you need, I usually give myself a little extra too. Then go to the local hardware store and get that length of PVC pipe, as well as a cap for the bottom and a section with a male section and female cap. Slap them together and you have an all but indestructible rod case. Total cost is in the ballpark of $5. ;)

cattech89

Reaction score
My first rod was given to me as a graduation present. It was a entry level 2pc 9' 5wt St. Croix. All it had was a divided sock and the plastic "screw apart" tube it came in when it was purchased. When I started getting serious about FF I searched Ebay and found several well made tubes but I actually found an actual St. Croix rod tube made just for my rod. Paid $25 including shipping.

Anyway that was a lot of rambling to say that Id recommend Ebay. Search for a couple of days before you make a purchase to get a decent sample of choices. Im confident that you can find something that will fit your rod or rod and reel together.

My two pennies......

Jackster

Reaction score
go to the local hardware store and get that length of PVC pipe, as well as a cap for the bottom and a section with a male section and female cap. Slap them together and you have an all but indestructible rod case.
Bamboo10 (back when he used to fly fish!) went one further and sawed a slot along the tube length at one opening long enough to allow a reel to be kept on the rod when in the PVC tube. I imagine a wide enough slot would allow you to keep the neoprene reel cover on the reel when the rig is in the tube.

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi Gordon,

Since you asked about a case for the rod and reel I assume you are asking about the cases that let you keep the reel on the rod.

My favorite is the Orvis double tube case. They have the one tube 9' case on sale for $59 Even with shipping that won't be too bad. The double case is a lot more money. The sale is here.

Frank

Orvis Safe Passage Rod/Reel Case

Orvis Safe Passage Rod/Reel Case (2 Rods and reels)

crittergetter

Reaction score
Cabela's will put them on sale about once a year in the winter. $19 to $29 I bought two last winter for my 10' rods. I would recommend get the ones the reals can stay on.

PVC works well also.

gordon in nc

Reaction score
Had the day off from work .. running errands .. passed by a Home Depot.

Thought, I'll give it a look and see what I can find in PVC stuff.

$10.00 or so later .. out the door (Had to buy a 10ft. section) Left overs for another tube if I need it !!!

Hour later at home .. CUSTOM made rod holder that will take abuse and come back for more.

Oh, I am using the rod bag that came with the rod and all fit very well in my new rod tube.

Thanks for the "home made" tips .....

Gordon in NC