Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  95
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Burned out?

Default Re: Burned out?

Maybe take a day trip somewhere? My resolution for next year is to hop on a plane every couple months and take a short, overnight trip to fish a new city. In a couple weeks, I'm going to do DC, then next year it's NYC, New Orleans, Austin, Denver; whatever fishy places I can reach with a sub-$150 plane ticket, a change of clothes, and a 6wt outfit.

Quote Originally Posted by corn fed fins View Post
    Well not much gets in the way of chasing girls but I havent chased girls in decades...I let them chase me.
    Catch and release? CPR?

3. Likes corn fed fins liked this post

My sympathies to the OP. Like Ard I found that after a few seasons gillieing I was less inclined to visit the salmon river even though I lived by it. When you're on the river six days a week throughout the season a rest is welcome. Sometimes I'd go to my bed with the 'slurpppp' of a hundred badly made Spey casts ringing in my ears. Urgghhh!
    I'd still get the urge to pick up a trout rod and fish a loch on a Sunday, though, and was as happy hooking 3/4 lb brownies as a 10 lb salmon. Certainly caught a lot more of them, anyway! Salmon are grand but I've a soft spot for the wild brownie. They take me back to my fishing roots.

I think that if you're not finding it special anymore try finding something that will make it special. If that means one trip further afield to somewhere legendary rather than three trips to familiar ground, fine. Maybe re-visit your old rods and see if there's a forgotten gem you'd like to cast again. Pack your favourite foods and treat yourself a bit.

I know it ain't easy when that urge has waned. There should be a counselling help line for us!

5. Likes corn fed fins, Ard liked this post
    Blog Entries

Thanks for the replies and suggestions guys. It's weird, trust me. Even the wife thinks I'm sick and with a smile asked if I needed to make an appointment to talk with someone. I said "I am...on the the forum"

I understand how guides would want to take time off or can just get sick of fishing....it's a job at that point. I'm thinking some time away from fishing might be the ticket. However, I will still be on the water with the vets that call and and want/need some company. That part never gets old. In fact, those outings have become my favorite over the last few years. I'll see what happens over the next month. Maybe this brain fog will lift.

P.S. And no I'm not selling my gear you vultures. If it comes to that I will find someone worthy and give it away.
    Nice fish! Do you have anymore pictures of it lying in the dirt?
    As publicity increases so does the propensity of tripping over yards of mono attached to a Dipsey sinker.

7. Likes ejsell, Ard, karstopo liked this post
    White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone

Quote Originally Posted by corn fed fins View Post
    I'm secretary for our local TU/FFI(? darn name change I can't keep up) chapter and volunteer with Project Healing Waters biweekly fly tying clinics, soon to be our third year of PHWFF intro classes. It's not a lack of fishing interest but more of not caring if I go fishing if that makes sense. I'm here, right. Lol

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk
    Health reasons (Humpty Dumpty took a great fall bit) and this really screwed up my balance. Or the screwed up balance is what caused the fall? Anyway, first time on the river yesterday since last early December.

Talk about fumbling! Getting/keeping my balance is going to take some practice. Alternative is a folding lawn chair and a bait casting set up UGG!

PLEASE GOD DON'T MAKE ME GO THERE!!

fae
    When wealth is lost, nothing is lost; when health is lost, something is lost; when character is lost, all is lost. - Billy Graham"

9. Likes corn fed fins, Ard liked this post
    Blog Entries

I really have to go, it's 10:40 AM. and I haven't left yet but I am posting then leaving for real.

One thing that gets my interest level up is to take a ride to a river I haven't fished for a couple years. Sometimes being there is all it takes. I do face a challenge here that you guys don't deal with. It's so far to these places that I have no clue what the water will look like this time of year. These are glacial rivers that get clear as the temps drop. The glaciers stop melting with the coming of cold nights and the silt content drops, viola' the river is clear like you would dream of. When this happens the trout and grayling drop from the tributaries where they have been chowing down on salmon eggs for months and re-enter the main stems and the fishing can be off the charts. If you haul the boat 80 miles to find the water still colored or too low for safe travel it's a bummer. My back up for fall are the Mokai's, they can run up a river even when it's too low for a real river boat. You just sort a channel through the boulders and chug along until you find some fish.

I think that the distances I travel are what dampens my desire. For instance, I love steelhead fishing but a run for that involves staying multiple days and is three hundred miles one way........... That is something that you have to make the trip to find out whether or not there is a single fish there. There are rivers closer to home but for steelhead they are more about casting than catching. There are some fish but one river is 130 miles long and in a good fall there may be a hundred big fish spread out over all those river miles.

Another problem is that just twelve years ago I was catching so many fish that it was hard to comprehend. The comparison between now and then is stark to say the least. I still love casting my lines but every now and then it would be nice to blunder into a hoard of fish again. I'll hit post and go,

Ard

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

11. Default Re: Burned out?

I took a break because other things were getting in the way - living apart from the wife, putting her through nursing school (read: flat broke), not having much water within even a couple hours when I grew up just going down the street, etc etc etc. Life brings us other priorities.

For me, the last year saw a great reorganizing of my hobbies: I sold my camera to put down for a new one, sold all my aquarium gear to re-focus on fishing, tying, and photography, and then felt like I wasn't ready to go because my gear was so disorganized. Selling off all my oddball gear to tighten up the selections was very relieving and a big de-stressor. It was also a ton of fun going shopping to fill all the voids that I was able to muster up - long 4 weight, short 4 weight, slow 4 weight, fast 4 weight, long and fast 4 weight... I haven't been fishing since July and it's kinda killing my soul. I got fall steelhead coming up though and I am really looking forward to it. My heart needs it.

When you find what fills your soul, you're good. My dad went through a long period of depression and literally nothing could make him happy. Not only did he not want to go fishing, he was against it because "it was too much work" - if you don't get resentful and still know you love it, I think you're doing okay. It's also okay to take a step back if you feel over-indulged.

12. Likes Lewis Chessman liked this post

One has to find that happy medium, I go when I feel like it. Sometimes I just walk along the stream and do a little fishing, more often than not.

In the Olden Days, it was fish like heck all day long, now I like to take in the scenery a bit. A few scores keep me happy or just practice my casting.

I love fishing and think I always will, but it's not always just fishing after all.

14. Likes karstopo liked this post

Corn fed ,
    Don't let the doldrums be of concern. Time with vets will bridge the time. Between now & your next stage of fishing.
    Twice now for me ....... eeeeeh once for sure. Was getting to be tired , no bored might be closer. Feeling like doing the same all the time. Then through circumstances ended up in Florida. It is truly a world apart from everywhere else. First episode ended.
    16 1/2 yrs later...... started feeling same again. Sat looking at everything in closet thinking what does it mean. What does all this stuff & all these years amount to ? Thought I would donate things to programs for kids. Looking into this led to Vets, & then joining club. Which has now led to next stage of fishing. Trying to help others into fly fishing. Tying, casting, explaining behavior of fish. Kids or Vets , can't say what did it. I'm back to fishing practically every day. Not as long as before. But 2 - 3 hrs. The rest of the time I was spending. Now is casting clinics or tying classes. Next month be tying flies at nautical festival in Tarpon Springs.
    Point is ....... this may just lead you to your next phase of fishing. If it's in your blood it won't be long before you find it. Or , it finds you !

....... pc

16. Likes karstopo, Lewis Chessman liked this post
    Blog Entries

The recreational activity I've been involved in the longest is pool (billiards, 43 years). I've gotten burned out or just gotten too busy several times in my life, with my longest continuous pause being when I was married, about 5 or 6 years. But that one was not due to burn out; that was just the wife not liking pool halls and dive bars. I, on the other hand, loved the game, the competition, everything about it. If I had spare time I read about it, I was a member of six different pool forums, I even had a video pool game on my laptop. I even became an instructor, teaching people how to play for pay.

My longest step away from the game because I was burned out was three years. Just before I quit, I was playing in two different leagues plus playing two to four tournaments a week. Plus a trip to Vegas every year or so. For perspective, a typical league season (session) was about 12-16 weeks long, with about a month off between sessions. League nights went about two to three hours; tournaments typically ran about 3-5 hours each. And I became a mercenary, playing only for teams that had a real chance of winning it all and getting invited to Vegas for the real money.

Towards the end I was getting paid by teams to be a teammate over my cut of the winnings. I'm a little ashamed to say that I don't even remember the names of three of the guys I played with on that last team. In other words, it became a job. Consequently, I just stopped having fun, so I quit at the end of the second league session that year.

I sold most of my cues, bags, etc., and I honestly thought I might really be done with the game. I just had no desire to play the game anymore. Then a buddy of mine about five years ago called me up and asked if I could sub in for a guy on his team that had gotten hurt at work. His league was just a local beer league composed of six or seven bar-sponsored teams. Strictly bush league. I told him I hadn't played in years, but he said it was fine. He said, "our team name is, 'We're Just Here to Drink.' So I dug out and knocked the dust off my sneaky pete cue and went to play a few games.

At the end of the season a few weeks later I figured my buddy's injured teammate would step back into his spot and I'd be 'retired' from the game again. The funny thing about it was, I found that I had really enjoyed playing again. Now I'll never play at an elevated level again, and so I'll never have that intense competitive fire about pool ever again, but I've rediscovered my love of the game. Now i play in that beer league with my buddy, and our winnings don't cover the bar tabs for the season, but the game, and the camaraderie is what's important to me.

How did that happen? I'm not completely sure, but I think that part of it was that I really needed that break. I was too involved in the game before I quit/took a time out. It's a common failing of mine anyway to get so OCD about a subject that I literally overload my brain trying to absorb everything about it. I think the other part of it was just that at that time in my life a lot of serious things were happening, and pool wasn't helping me relax and have fun anymore. Pool was just another stressor in my life. Something had to give.

I can't tell you with any certainty what you should do about your situation. It would be presumptuous of me to think that I could tell you how to run your life. What I will say is that you might think about what things about fly-fishing right now aren't fun and see if there's anything you can do about some of those issues. Make the process simpler, I guess.

Anyway, I hope my story helps in some way, and good luck with your problem.

Peace.
    "Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn." ~Chuck Clark

18. Likes corn fed fins, Lewis Chessman liked this post
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast