The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > >

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  87
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Old Yesterday, 08:21 AM

huronfly is a name known to allhuronfly is a name known to allhuronfly is a name known to allhuronfly is a name known to allhuronfly is a name known to allhuronfly is a name known to all
Default Re: Burned out?

I think like many others have said, variety is the key.

As each season passes I find myself looking forward to the next, new species to target, new waterbodies open for fishing etc...

If you really want to stay committed to fishing, take up steelheading. Not necessarily easy to do when you are hours away, but it is a different game that will keep you coming day after day after day. Borderline obsession. If I did not have steelheading, I am almost positive my fly fishing time would decline massively.
Likes fredaevans, corn fed fins liked this post
Old Yesterday, 08:46 AM

c web is on a distinguished road

For me the fishing is just part of the whole. I love to backpack, camp, cook, hike and take pictures, please bear in mind all this revolves around fishing. LOL

But I think this helps with the burnout or boredom, when I am tired of one of these activities I do one of the others.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes corn fed fins liked this post
Old Yesterday, 09:54 AM

just4grins is on a distinguished road

" Then it hit me; I haven't had any desire to go."
As you have probably figured out, most of us have hit the wall at one time or another. For me, when that happened I took a lot of time off fishing, but still loved it. What I discovered was by 70 years old, I had been fishing since I was 6 years old, learned a great deal, could almost always catch fish, but "the thrill was gone" like the BB King song.

However, I started walking near streams without my rod, enjoyed the beauty of everything we have around us. Would sit down by rivers, look for fish and watch them feed. I learned I didn't have to fish because there was so much more.

It took awhile, but I started using different tackle to make it more challenging. Watched nature and how it all fit together. I fish less, but enjoy it more. Fish Heads burn out and some never come back. Enjoy all the other pieces and fishing will eventually fit back in. Watch more, fish less.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 3 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes lacanadio, karstopo, corn fed fins liked this post
Old Yesterday, 12:27 PM

denver1911 is a splendid one to beholddenver1911 is a splendid one to beholddenver1911 is a splendid one to beholddenver1911 is a splendid one to beholddenver1911 is a splendid one to beholddenver1911 is a splendid one to behold

I'll add one more comment: If you don't want to fish ... don't fish. Life is not about having done something. Life is about doing. Do what you want. If that's not fishing, so be it. Be willing to change. Take up a shooting sport. Go to the mall with your wife. Sit at the ball game with your kids. Crochet. Okay, maybe that last one is a bit dramatic, but you get the point. It's okay to stop fishing and do something you'd rather be doing.
Old Yesterday, 02:00 PM
Administrator

Ard has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Ard Send a message via Skype™ to Ard

I went Friday and had a good day even though it was 40 and a cold rain all afternoon. I'm headed out again soon but the boat is covered with about 1/4" of hoar frost and there is a minor inversion a the moment. I expect the fog to lift within the hour so it's time to log off and get into my costume. If I actually raise a good fish I'll start a thread.

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors
Old Today, 07:56 AM

callihan_44 is on a distinguished road

fly fishing is my prozac, my job can be somewhat stressful and I work alot of hours during the week but when I hit the water during the weekend I completely forget it. This year alone I have fished more than any other time in my life and have 37+ years under my belt. I hit the water atleast once a week, I think Im having a midlife crisis lol, better have fun today because eventually we all have to give it up due to age.
Old Today, 09:07 AM

myt1 has much to be proud ofmyt1 has much to be proud ofmyt1 has much to be proud ofmyt1 has much to be proud ofmyt1 has much to be proud ofmyt1 has much to be proud ofmyt1 has much to be proud ofmyt1 has much to be proud ofmyt1 has much to be proud ofmyt1 has much to be proud of

Sadly, after just returning from a twelve day fishing camping trip that took me to the San Juan, Gunnison Gorge, and Flaming Gorge, I'm definitely burned out; and I don't have a real burning desire to hit the water again anytime soon, even though I will be heading to Michigan and steelheading in less than a month.

First of all, sleeping in the back of my truck at night and trying to put on frozen boots in the morning got kinda old after awhile...so did eating cans of chicken chili for dinner every night.

Secondly, it got REALLY old standing on shore getting nothing, or next to nothing, watching guided drift boats go by...sometimes with clients who barely knew which end of the rod to cast...who couldn't reel in fish fast enough, talk about disheartening.

I caught fish everywhere I went, just not a lot of fish. I'm definitely burned out.

Maybe some Michigan steel will snap me out of it.

Cheers,
Old Today, 10:15 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Everyone,

I have been fishing longer than most and have had my ups and downs just like others. Here are some thoughts that have helped me.

If you fish alone, get a buddy. That is, get a friend to fish with. Not the same as guiding someone. You need someone to plan trips together, sit around and joke about your gear and the problems on your trips. I had my last fishing partner for 25 years before he passed. We met in Alaska when I lived there and both of us had single engine planes. I had a wheeled plane and he had a float plane. We had a great time fishing/hunting Alaska and exploring the western US after we left Alaska. My experience in Alaska would have been far less enjoyable if my buddy wasn't there to enjoy it with me. The last time I fished the Green River in Wyoming I caught a five pound Rainbow and my friend was not there for the first time. I was floating the Green in my pontoon boat and was thinking how much I missed my friend. Hooked up this great fish and after landing/releasing it I thought how proud Wayne would have been of me catching that fish.

Fly Fishing is a great pastime and it is not just about catching fish. If you don't tie flies, learn. If you can't cast curves or Spey cast, learn. Try making a rod. Try salt water if you only fish Trout. The trick is to keep it interesting and keep learning.

I also think it helps to have other hobbies. I combined hunting and fishing in Alaska along with flying. We never had a dull trip. Fishing wasn't always our prime focus but always important. Here in the lower 48 my focus was mostly on fishing but camping and back packing was also important. If you have never backpacked into a fishing spot you are missing a good time. If you do it with a real friend you will have a Great time.

Frank
Old Today, 11:08 AM

corn fed fins has much to be proud ofcorn fed fins has much to be proud ofcorn fed fins has much to be proud ofcorn fed fins has much to be proud ofcorn fed fins has much to be proud ofcorn fed fins has much to be proud ofcorn fed fins has much to be proud ofcorn fed fins has much to be proud ofcorn fed fins has much to be proud ofcorn fed fins has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by myt1 View Post
Sadly, after just returning from a twelve day fishing camping trip that took me to the San Juan, Gunnison Gorge, and Flaming Gorge, I'm definitely burned out; and I don't have a real burning desire to hit the water again anytime soon, even though I will be heading to Michigan and steelheading in less than a month.

First of all, sleeping in the back of my truck at night and trying to put on frozen boots in the morning got kinda old after awhile...so did eating cans of chicken chili for dinner every night.

Secondly, it got REALLY old standing on shore getting nothing, or next to nothing, watching guided drift boats go by...sometimes with clients who barely knew which end of the rod to cast...who couldn't reel in fish fast enough, talk about disheartening.

I caught fish everywhere I went, just not a lot of fish. I'm definitely burned out.

Maybe some Michigan steel will snap me out of it.

Cheers,
Next time you're in my backyard, burned out or not, I would meet you in the Gorge, maybe have a beer(or coke if yor not a beer person), and I'll show you around a bit.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk
Likes myt1 liked this post