Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  95
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Burned out?

Default Re: Burned out?

I don't think I'll ever get burned out on fly fishing, just like I'll never get burned out on sleeping at the end of the day.
    That said, I don't get to go fishing as often as I'd like. During the spring and summer I fish a couple times a week, for an hour so so each time, at the local for pond for bluegill or the occasional bass or crappie, but my real fishing is done four hours away, in Wisconsin's Driftless Area. This year, I only fished up there 5 times, and I really missed it. I've got friends and acquaintances who are local who fish 3 times a week, which makes me jealous. Maybe they get burned out, but I never hear them say that.

Fly fishing on a creek for trout is such a stress reliever, I cannot ever see not wanting to do that. As I age (I'm 58 now), I value the silence, when all I hear is the wind, the birds, and the stream. At the end of a day on the stream, I might be tired, but I feel like I've had a full-brain massage. I realize that I've not thought about work, about my kids' chances getting into the college of their choice, getting a new floor put in to my kitchen, or really anything, the whole day. It's like I've been meditating the whole day. I will sing the same two or three lines from a song in my head over and over (all Friday and Saturday it was X's Johnny Hit and Run Paulene) until it becomes a mantra.

I come off the stream thinking, Wow, I learned something new, or saw something new, but it doesn't really strike me until I'm done fishing. Most of the time, I will have, recorded in my head, a particular scene, or sound, or maybe fish. I'll play those snippets over in my head as I drive back home, satisfied and comfortable.

2. Likes corn fed fins liked this post

That's a good fishing song.

4. Likes weiliwen liked this post

A state of emotional and physical exhaustion caused by a prolonged period of stress and frustration.

The above definition of "burn out" was copied from the urban dictionary. There are plenty of factors related to fishing and fishing trips that may cause me frustration. I have a passion for wild trout and steelhead. Their plight is frustrating and pursing them in far less than ideal conditions often causes me fatigue and frustration. I do what I can to minimze burn out by controlling what I can and trying not to worry to much about things I can't control.

6. Likes myt1 liked this post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dillon View Post
    A state of emotional and physical exhaustion caused by a prolonged period of stress and frustration.

The above definition of "burn out" was copied from the urban dictionary. There are plenty of factors related to fishing and fishing trips that may cause me frustration. I have a passion for wild trout and steelhead. Their plight is frustrating and pursing them in far less than ideal conditions often causes me fatigue and frustration. I do what I can to minimze burn out by controlling what I can and trying not to worry to much about things I can't control.
    I wish it was stress and frustration, I'd go fishing. Lol

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk
    Nice fish! Do you have anymore pictures of it lying in the dirt?
    As publicity increases so does the propensity of tripping over yards of mono attached to a Dipsey sinker.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345