Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  11
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cutthroat furled leaders

Default Cutthroat furled leaders

What would be the best all round furled leader for a 7' 4wt superfine rod. don't want to switch back and forth dry to nymph to streamer. know thats asking a lot.
    R Reese

White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone

Default Re: Cutthroat furled leaders

Quote Originally Posted by r reese View Post
    What would be the best all round furled leader for a 7' 4wt superfine rod. don't want to switch back and forth dry to nymph to streamer. know thats asking a lot.
    Length of a furled leader + tippet (just in my HO) is pretty much dictated by the length of the rod and the size of the fly (add weighted or not to that). With a rod that short (again this is just a 'SWAG' (aka "Sophisticated Wild Ass Guess") ) a 4' furled leader and two or three foot of tippet of choice.

That aside give Cutthroat Leader's a call (or on his web site) and look at the options. If you don't find a pre-tied he's pretty darned good at making up special orders.

fae
    When wealth is lost, nothing is lost; when health is lost, something is lost; when character is lost, all is lost. - Billy Graham"

3. Likes r reese liked this post

thanks. been using a 5' short leader. works good just was wondering if anything out there better
    R Reese

I somewhat match my furled leader with the rod, but I much more take into account the stream.

Fast pocket water on small streams, I go with a shorter furled leader.

Tailwaters where I am making longer casts on gently flowing water, I go with a longer leader and tippet as well.

The big question is what do you consider small water, everyone has their own general idea.
    Mainline the blueline

6. Likes fredaevans liked this post

For a shorter rod, I use a 50" "shorty" leader (Made by Cutthroat), with another 3 feet of tippet, sometimes tapered, sometimes not, depending on the size of the fly.

Ive found in general you can use much shorter leaders if they are furled vs traditional tapered leaders. I havent used cut throats leaders (I make my own) but Ive pretty much been sticking to 60" leaders, on everything from 8' rods to my 10' nymphing rod.

Sent from my SM-T237P using Tapatalk

9. Likes fredaevans liked this post
    Blog Entries

I also like the 50" leader for that length rod... We offer a nylon furled leader (does need to be stretched before use), for guys/gals that want one leader to do everything.

The nylon leader has more backbone than the thread leaders for tossing heavier flies as well as indicators. These leaders were specifically designed for fly fishers that want one leader. The leaders are neutrally buoyant (add weight, they sink, throwing dry's, they float).

When you open leader for package, simply stretch between your hands... Then attach to line and start catching.

Tip, if fishing dry's, apply floatant to leader, not to make leader float, but to keep leader from throwing lots of water over-spray.

Also, when fishing small delicate dries, step tippet down....

see link: https://www.cutthroatfurledleaders.c...furled-leader/

11. Thanks shaunsquid thanked for this post
    Likes fredaevans, nevadanstig, weiliwen, ejsell liked this post

Thumbs up Re: Cutthroat furled leaders

Only thing to the above comments by Mike is do have him put a 'tippet ring' on the things. Makes changing out that bit a total breeze. Just my .02 cents but prefer this to the loop to loop connections.

fae
    When wealth is lost, nothing is lost; when health is lost, something is lost; when character is lost, all is lost. - Billy Graham"

13. Likes nevadanstig liked this post

I use mainly 7.6 to 8ft rods and Cutthroat leaders. For now, my favorite is Hi Vis Nymph. I like to see where my line is and how far out it is. Might not be exactly how this leader is suppose to be used but I catch fish with it so I'm happy.

15. Likes CutThroat Leaders liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by wjlapier View Post
    I use mainly 7.6 to 8ft rods and Cutthroat leaders. For now, my favorite is Hi Vis Nymph. I like to see where my line is and how far out it is. Might not be exactly how this leader is suppose to be used but I catch fish with it so I'm happy.
    +1 if you're using a 'spey rod.'

fae

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast