New BVK Outfit

fq13

Reaction score
Well, a funny thing happened on my way to a Sage Bolt....:D

I was looking at the Bolt, and you guys pretty much talked me out of it. But I did some research and saw that the Yellow Stone Anglers rod shootout last year was for eight weights (a great 20 rod head to head if you are in the market). I saw that out of 21 rods the $279 BVK tied for fourth place with the $850 Orvis Helios II and $450 Sage Motive and Orvis recon. The review was glowing particularly given how the rod just spanked the Winston and Sage salt at over eight bills each. So I say "hmm...." and look at ebay.:p

Long story short? I thought I had found the unluckiest man on ebay when I scored two Sage RPLs for $160. It turns out he has a brother. :shocking: This guy put up a new and unfished eight weight BVK rod, a new TFO large arbor 375 (with new line), and no reserve bid. Free shipping no less.
Three hundred dollars later, and I am a happy man!:punk: I seriously feel bad for the guy. The reel alone is going at $345. But, moral of the story is if you sell a seven hundred dollar outfit, put a reserve bid on it.:cool:

Last edited:

vpsihop1

Reaction score
You'll love that BVK, for warm water it loves a Chard Grand Slam

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

clouserguyky

Reaction score
Well done. The BVK is excellent and continues to be excellent for the price. I fish the 906-4 for smallmouth, carp, and occasionally for trout. I've even toyed with it in the salt a few times. Enjoy!

pnc

Reaction score
Couple of things.......... lunch meat, cold cuts whatever it was ? How do you mean ? Think I get idea.
I do think people often overlook & in some ways even snub TFO. Perhaps because of prices. People have become so used to the idea of shelling out money for quality. Not doing so raises doubts.
Any time I've seen.a BVK used in comparison tests it is rated near the top. Regardless of how expensive its competition might be. So with this in mind. Rather than a good rod for the money. You have a rod about as good as it gets for a fraction of what you could pay for less rod.
Have heard on several occasions of BVK's having issues with breaking in butt section or next. Have not seen this. And all reports about this were heard in same place. Friends shop, he does relay imput from customers to others. However, speaking to him on the side. He does feel it is due to, as he puts it ....... operator error. People with little experience are reaching out grabbing on to rod to lift. Snap !
Everyone I know that uses a BVK loves the rod.

........... pc

plecain

Reaction score
I have an 8 wt., 9' BVK that I built from a blank.
I've used it exclusively for salt water fishing both in FL and back in New England.
I put a Galvan T-8 reel and SA's Tarpon taper line on it. It can lay that line out there wonderfully.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
I was not knocking TFO.BVK. I have a #6 and my wife fishes the #8 with the TFO LA reel for bonefish and has not broken it yet. Our's are the 1st. gen. versions featuring Recoil guides and are light weight powerful rods. They do have thin blank walls hence their propensity for potential breakage and they inexplicably don't come with a case...really TFO!

I agree they like an aggressive forward weight biased line on the heavy side and they do lack a certain smooth refinement but it was the Yellowstone Shootout's rating system I refereeing to as baloney.

pnc

Reaction score
Yes , though system/baloney was reference. Just never saw it put as such.
Was not responding to or with any post in mind about TFO. It was just an observation of what seems an ongoing thing. Not sure what to call it. A lack of due respect maybe ?
Without the name being mentioned it happens. Every time someone recommends a rod for twice the money to a newcomer. Other things also.

........ pc

clouserguyky

Reaction score
I've had my BVK longer than any of my rods and I have broken mine twice, but both were my fault. On one, I was casting a heavy Rio OBS WF6I/S3 (which is actually an 8 weight line) in the surf in Destin, FL and a ferrule worked loose. If you've fished OBS, you know it's heavy and it shoots hard, fast, and far. I was making a haul to shoot about 70' of line and it broke where the ferrule had worked loose. I had been fishing for about 40 minutes and hadn't checked it.

The second time I had it rigged with streamers and another rod (a beloved and dearly missed 586-2 Sage RPL) rigged with dries. I laid the BVK down to fish the RPL and stepped on the BVK like a doofus. It broke the next time I picked it up to cast it.

But if you treat it like any 300 dollar investment should be treated, it'll be fine. And that's not to say it won't take some hard use and wear. Mine has been in my hand during falls, it has banged around in boats, it has been irresponsibly transported in my car while still assembled, and I could think of others and it has held up great. It shows some wear but that gives it some mojo that only a rod that has caught hundreds of fish and been in your hand for hours upon hours can carry. You just can't abuse it. I've broken all my Sage rods twice too...