Fly Fishing Go Bag/Bug Out Bag

shaunsquid

Reaction score
Not talking about doomsday prepping or anything, but what is your grab and go setup?

Let me explain: I am a very forgetful man. It is always a scramble for me to make sure I have all my gear before heading out the door, and I inevitably always forget something. This past weekend I went fishing with some new guys I had never gone out with before, and a couple had big rubber maid bins they had all their gear in, so they could grab and go, and it got me thinking.

Now, like I said I am a forgetful man. However, I also love to be organized. So I stumbled upon this. The bottom portion is big enough to store my vest, boots, waders, swim trucks, towel, water shoes, and hat. The top is compartmentalized, and I have it sorted our to store replacement spools of tippet, floatant, leaders, weights, strike indicators, sunscreen, aquaseal, duct tape, etc. I even bought some of those heavy duty rubber twist ties that I plan to drill through the side to attach my rod tubes.

This stuff gets me really excited. For one, I should (in theory) forget essentials way less often. Two, this should help keep my girlfriend off my back because my fishing **** is all over the place.

What about you guys? How do you set yourself up to run out the door at a moments notice, and not forget a thing?

vpsihop1

Reaction score
My car looks like a fly shop. The only rule I have is not taking anything out of the car. I have a hell of a time finding stuff in the mess that's in my trunk/back seat, but I know if I jump in the car I'll have everything I need.

I will say, those organisers that wrap around the big Rubbermaid bins look good. Waders, boots, and maybe a rod tube inside. All your tools/gadgets/tippet on the outside. Grab and go.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

jayr

Reaction score
I used to have a plastic tote to carry all of my gear in. After seeing a friend with bag, I decided the bag was easier to carry as it has a carry strap and frees my hands up for other gear.

Here is what I found at L.L. Bean:

Invalid URL

I got the XL and it works like a charm. It can hold a bunch of gear.

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
A rectangular 'laundry tub' covers my bets save for the rods. Those are in the garage and lumped together based upon the type of fishing expected. Big stuff on the bottom and 'small stuff' on top. As far as the on river I'll carry as little as possible, tools are on a 'string thing' and just use the forceps to clamp it on my shirt/coat.

Will I remember 'I need?' Not a chance in heck!!:(

If a resupply is needed the 'empty, or almost close, goes on the front passenger seat. If REALLY on the needs list on the drivers seat. There I can't sit down with out a memory jab. At 75 I need those ... :weight_li

fae

pnc

Reaction score
Keep bag in car. Holds 3 plano trays & 9 or 10 fly boxes. Also 4 rods. Keep freshwater bag (same) & larger go away in closet. Unless different bag is called for. I just get in car. Keep rain jacket, hat, boots, glasses also in car.

....... pc

knotjoe

Reaction score
I'll confess to being a "pack junkie". Every time I see a new wearable, be it belt, sling, or backpack/chestpack combo it's easy to justify it's purpose and purchase.

I buy or make in threes (minimally, often more) so I can have the tools and gadgets needed in any pack I grab. Always have at least three license printings to avoid forgetting it. Many spools of tippet most often used and yes, I did grab a heapin' handful of the $.99 spools of cheap Walmart mono for the spools themselves.

Lots of nippers, here. Just can't have too many nippers.

The various bags/packs hang off my rod cabinet from screw-in hooks with all the good stuff already packed in them. Free time and opportunity is not something to be taken for granted or passed on.

Good topic. Gotta have the plan in place and ready to go at any moment.

It's funny...now the Doomsday folk don't look so crazy after all. Maybe that's what happens if you don't fish enough, it all just manifests itself in other ways. We, the fortunate:icon_wink

peaks2creeks

Reaction score
I started keeping a bin of my gear last year and it is the best and easiest way to remember my gear. My short term memory is not the best, this way it is also a stress reliever... "I feel like I'm forgetting something" but if I have my bin I stress a lot less, I know its in there... Plus it makes going on trips a lot easier, I use to show up and transfer arm-load after arm-load into my buddies truck, now I just throw my bin, pack and rods in the back and I am 100% good to go!

I now do the same for skiing...

shaunsquid

Reaction score
I'll confess to being a "pack junkie". Every time I see a new wearable, be it belt, sling, or backpack/chestpack combo it's easy to justify it's purpose and purchase.

I buy or make in threes (minimally, often more) so I can have the tools and gadgets needed in any pack I grab. Always have at least three license printings to avoid forgetting it. Many spools of tippet most often used and yes, I did grab a heapin' handful of the $.99 spools of cheap Walmart mono for the spools themselves.

Lots of nippers, here. Just can't have too many nippers.

The various bags/packs hang off my rod cabinet from screw-in hooks with all the good stuff already packed in them. Free time and opportunity is not something to be taken for granted or passed on.

Good topic. Gotta have the plan in place and ready to go at any moment.

It's funny...now the Doomsday folk don't look so crazy after all. Maybe that's what happens if you don't fish enough, it all just manifests itself in other ways. We, the fortunate:icon_wink
Would like to hear more about this rod cabinet you speak of. Or pictures even if you have them handy.

---------- Post added at 05:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:02 PM ----------

I am a vest guy, though I am looking at switching to a tech vest/vest-backpack combo (hmmmm....that Fishpond CrazyHorse might be right up my alley someday). The only bag I have big enough to carry all my fly gear is an internal frame 65L, but that is my "Go Bag" for back country weekends.

This new setup, for me, seems perfect as I can through my fully loaded vest, and stuff I need EVERY trip in the bottom. All the spare, replacement, emergency, saftey, etc. stuff is organized up top in the clear boxes so I can see everything. Throwing it all in a duffel seems like a nightmare. I dont want to spend 10 minutes searching for the loose spool of 6x floating around in there.

brownbass

Reaction score
Since I joined a group of fly fishermen I acquired a wheeled duffle-bag from High Sierra that is 34x16x15. It has a lower compartment with a hard bottom. the waders, boots and a mat rolled up around my wading staff. the upper main compartment holds a change of clothes, a rod or two, my vest and net. The two side compartments hold reels and sunglasses, gear like gloves, mask spare hats. You have plenty of room for spare spools tippet fly boxes or whatever Most of us have something similar, It makes it easier if four or five of us go together in the same vehicle. They make a 36 inch that many use. Since some travel by air to fish. it can hold a lot of their gear and clothing while they carry on a rod, reel, and essentials in a backpack. If you catch it on sale the price is good.

Bill

Rip Tide

Reaction score
I once went off without my reel.... twice actually :eek:..... two days in a row :rolleyes:.
So I'm pretty sensitive about this.

I fish trout, warm water and salt, so each one of those endeavors has it's own tote or tackle bag all set to go with everything I might need.
I can switch out different reels to match whatever rods I might take, but I always have 2 or 3 to start.

I grab a bag, a couple of rods, the appropriate waders or PFD and I'm good to go.

pleasantvalley

Reaction score
I keep the waders and boots in a small duffel bag, rods in cases, and flies, reel, liscense, tippet, et cetera in a small shoulder bag. Takes about 30 seconds to get out the door. Usually can be halfway to the truck by the time the wife says “sure, you can go out fishing today, that’s fine.”

darkshadow

Reaction score
Apparently I need to start buying more gear.

All my fly boxes and stuff fits in my small Camelbak.

Makes it easier when you're taking all the stuff you own to the stream. Makes you confident that you're not forgetting anything.

c web

Reaction score
Apparently I need to start buying more gear.

All my fly boxes and stuff fits in my small Camelbak.

Makes it easier when you're taking all the stuff you own to the stream. Makes you confident that you're not forgetting anything.
I was thinking the same thing. HAHA

ratchet

Reaction score
It helps if you fish local and only use very specific gear at your spot, there is no point in bringing everything you own with you. My concern is vehicle break-ins, especially if everyone in the parking lot where you plan to fish, can watch you set up. Better to only take what you need or set up someplace public, like a Walmart parking lot, hide your unneeded gear under something, then drive the several miles to your fishing spot. You don't want people to know you have expensive rods/reels in your vehicle. You want your vehicle to look "empty".

My actual fishing gear get stored in a smaller rubbermaid tub, which sits with my wading stuff inside in a bigger tub. When I'm done fishing, I do it in reverse. The fishing gear goes in the smaller tub, my wet wading gear in the bigger tub.

If you are forgetful, make a check list.

k_e_v

Reaction score
Farmington, ill. -Stop by for a cold beer on your
I have a fishing gear room filled with misc odds and ends. In the corner are 4 bags ready to go without the need to go thru them. A wet bag with waders, boots and misc wading gear, an Orvis Carryall that is loaded with anything I could need for trout fishing, an waterproof duffel prepacked with everything needed for a 7 day trip for weather above 30 deg and a cold weather bag that I can grab for winter fishing.
The key for me is to always put stuff where it goes right away and if I see something in the garage or truck that is not in the right place I immediately put it where it belongs.
I like the confidence of getting home the night before a trip and not have to scramble around in a mad gear search.
Kev

dennyk

Reaction score
It all depends on what I'm fishing for. All my essentials, after a cleaning from the previous outing are kept in my truck. The only things I need to take out of the house are my fly rod of choice or my warmwater or coldwater fly fishing vests.

Denny

zjory

Reaction score
I keep a hip pack in the back of the Jeep and have an old 8ft 4wt with reel that I keep under the back seat just in case. It's enough that I can at least wet a fly if I stumble on something. I just got on the waitlist for a Big Sky Rod Box, so looking forward to setting up the Jeep as a proper fishing rig once I get that.

yikes

Reaction score
shaunsquid, good call on that multi-level container. Thanks for the link. As for myself, I have 4 "systems":
1. A tenkara rod and very small hip pack that has the level line, a few flies, split shot, 5x tippet spool, foreceps and nippers. This ALWAYS stays in my car, so I'm ready for our local streams at any moment.
2. My sling pack is prepped for a day on the fresh water, either locally or in the Sierras. It inludes my 3wt reel, so all I have to do is grab the pack and the rod case.
3. I keep my boots and waders in small boxes: one box is set up for wet wading our local flood control channels for carp (hippies plus cheap boots). The ther is set up for full waders and hiking/wading boots.
4. Lastly, I have a plastic shoebox that has all the accessories for my less common fishing conditions: the 7 wt sinking lines and saltwater flies; the foot warmers for winter fishing, etc.​
So I don't grab everything in one big box, but I can grab 1-3 items in smaller boxes and know I'm covered.

Lastly, I do make different versions of checklists for different fishing situations, and that is even more helpful than the bugout bag, because it helps with overall trip prep. For example, I have a "long weekend" version reminds me to ask the neighbor to put out my trash barrels, or reminds me to put a check in my wallet for the guide.

trout trekker

Reaction score
Western Portal Sequoia National Forest, Kern River
My concern is vehicle break-ins, especially if everyone in the parking lot where you plan to fish, can watch you set up. Better to only take what you need or set up someplace public, like a Walmart parking lot, hide your unneeded gear under something, then drive the several miles to your fishing spot. You don't want people to know you have expensive rods/reels in your vehicle.
This!

Fish the American River Parkway? How many eyes see you setting up in the parking lots there, how about the low flow up on the Feather, etc. Is that box going to end up in plain view on someone's tailgate, or on the ground and for how long while you gear up? Don't advertise. Why supply Old Crack Joe with a convenient carrying case with handles?

Dave